[SOLVED] Strong connection extremely slow download speed

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
So I just got a new pc. I have a Z590 edge mobo. I had to get a usb wifi adapter because the wireless card I have wouldnt pick up the signal well at all. Now I can pick up the signal very well but the download speed is like 1mb/s. Even if I switch to my wifi hotspot and turn off metered connection, and lay my phone on top of the pc its like 1mb/s. The driver is up to date. Windows is up to date. Any ideas what I should do next? Ethernet connection isnt an option right now. Ive also turned off the power save option on the adapter. When I run the troubleshooter it says my device is configured correctly but the device or dns server is not responding. I did an online speed test and got 15mbs per second but whenever i download something its not close to that fast.

Last edited:
Solution
The thread can be closed. Looks like the usb adapter doesnt pick up a strong signal. After I installed the wireless card antennas, the speed increased. So user error and long story short do your homework before you waste money on stuff you dont need.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Ill have to call and find out as I just moved for a new job and am staying with my parents till I find a new place. I figured they paid for 50mbs because the initial download speed when I plugged in the ethernet shot to 40mbs for a few minutes then gradually decreased to around 15mbs.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
The thread can be closed. Looks like the usb adapter doesnt pick up a strong signal. After I installed the wireless card antennas, the speed increased. So user error and long story short do your homework before you waste money on stuff you dont need.

Solution