"struggles" for 0.6 secs

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I have a new motherboard. I actually had to splash out unexpectedly on a new system so low on funds....
After having the first motherboard for my Intel Quad system (was an ASUS board) had to return it because it didn't like to boot from CD's or DVDs...how stupid.

The motherboard then they gave me was a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R

Problem I found was that after say every 30-60 mins, the system, specifically controller for the HDD (SATA or PATA) will "screech" for 0.6 seconds, causing the system to hang for that time then releases itself. Now, one of my HDD's has unfortunately died and no idea if it was a result of this behaviour.

BIOS is updated when I got the motherboard. This doesnt happen on 1 HDD (the one that died) but also my backup HDD and VERY concerned.....

Any ideas why this can happen? Yes the chipset drivers are installed. Running WS2003 R2 EE + updates, also the same thing with Windows XP and Windows 2000.

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I unfortunately cant try the HDD on another system because I don't have another system on me, I used to but relocation etc... dont have it, plus that system wouldnt have SATA support. But I do know it is relating to the motherboard because the other system I was replacing, it was all working fine...the CPU From that unfortunately kinda died so had to splash out on this system.....

Firehawk - You need to get with the support team from the maker of your motherboard to help you troubleshooting. Engage them early, and often, so you'll be covered in the event you need to return (another) motherboard. A screeching noise form the mobo followed by dead HDD's is most assuredly *not* normal.

This very clearly sounds like a hardware problem, and therefore we will not be able to tell you ...go into the Bios, set "Spurious Oscillations of the Feberstat to 'Off', and everything will work again..."

Go to your mobo maker NOW.

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
yes im aware that the sounds and behaviour is not normal, thanks. I just wasnt sure what exactly could be the cause and if it is the mobo but I have a strong suspicion that it is the mobo.... I just need now to find a decent motherboard with everything I want on it. It was hard enough and having forced a decision in about 2 days to get the mobo (I was loosing time and work)

I have booked an Advanced RMA for the drive which is fair enough but still gutted about the data that I wanted back..... have most of it which is good but would have been nice in making an image for the drive so I could restore it back on.

Hmm. I need some advice on the motherboard range. I'm looking for this....please help.

MUST be an Intel chipset motherboard, for a socket 775 (it's a quad core CPU)
2GB DDR2
should have IDE x 2 if possible if not I'll live with one somehow....
SATA (standard these days)
2 PCI Slots (the more the better)
1 PCI exp for the graphics and another one for a soundcard
USB Ports (the more the better)

Again, can't stress this enough but it must be an intel chipset motherboard.

suggestions are welcome