Question Struggling to choose between GTX 1660, GTX 1660 Ti and RTX 2060 to put in older platform (i7 3770)

clearance

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Hi everyone,
I know there's been a similar thread in June but i guess every situation's a bit different so hopefully it's ok.
Here's the main thing: i need to a buy a new monitor to use for remote work and some other tasks revolving around graphic design, that's the priority.
It's WQHD resolution and my current card won't be able to work comfortably with that, also i wish to work on 2 monitors at the same time, so i need a new GPU.

I'm a very casual gamer, haven't been playing recently any new titles or anzthing like that. But it's always nice to catch-up a bit and play a game once in a while when upgrading a GPU.
I've read it's only fair to go with GTX 1060 6 GB for my old platform. Problem is i'm not into used electronics and it's impossible to buy one of these anymore in my country.
So i started thinking about GTX 1660 but have seen people online saying it's not worth the money you could buy it for and more powerful 1660 Ti or even RTX 2060 are a better solution. The thing is they are a bit more pricey and slightly above my budget. The GTX 1660 i could probably buy right now.
Here are some notes/thoughts: >> I'm not looking forward to new, upcoming games too much >> I want to play Arkham Knight for sure >> Other titles are optional >> I don't need maximum details or maximum monitor resolution, i could live with running something in 1080P on a WQHD monitor - no problem >> I might be going for a new platform in a matter of months (6-7), i'm still not sure. If i do, i wish to leave that GPU i'm about to buy right now.
Hopefully it makes sense ;) Could you give me some advice?

Here's my 10 year platform specs:
CPU: Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3,4 GHz + BOX cooler
MoBo: MSI Z77A-G43
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Fury CL10
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 1GB
PSU: OCZ ZT 550W

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you're looking to upgrade the platform in the not so distant future and want to avoid used components, the 2060 is the stronger of the 3 options.

It's a matter of cost though. Doesn't sound like your needs are too heavy, and if you're comfortable with 1080p, even the 1660 is 'fine'. In a lot of countries, the 1660 SUPER is actually cheaper than the non-TI/Super 1660, and gets you most of the additional performance.

What kind of prices are you comparing these three cards at? And how do AMD equivalents compare (6600, 6600XT etc)?

clearance

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
So this is roughly how it looks. I know, these seem like very small differences in between particular models, but due to high inflation and record high dollar prices it makes quite a differnce for me.
These are the best deals i could find right now:
GTX 1660 (GIGABYTE) — $248
GTX 1660 Ti (Asus or Palit) — $270
RTX 2060 (Inno3D) — $303
XFX RX 6600 — $275
Sapphire RX 6600 — $296

Initially i wanted to pay as close to $200 - $220 as possible. I could still wait a bit but don't see the prices going any lower recently.

clearance

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
RX 6600 seems like a great alternative money wise and from what I've been reading it performs great in most games. The only downside would be the lack of DLSS. But how would it do in other aplications? I know nVidia's Cuda cores are supposed to boost video apps performance, but i mainly use Photoshop and Illustrator at work right now, so maybe it's not my concern (?). Are AMD's drivers better and more stable now, then they used to be, when people complained about them?

Last edited: