Question struggling to migrate my OS to a new ssd.

drvke

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
I am attempting to use Macrium Reflect to transfer my OS from a 512b HDD to a 4096b SSD, but when i try to copy it tells me that the target has an incompatible sector size. I do not have a 3rd drive to image the drive, any suggestions?

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
If you decide to do a clean install, you'll be fine. The beauty of Windows 10 is that it uses a "digital" license based on the physical components of your PC (and your Microsoft account if you used one). It will automatically activate with only a HDD to SSD change.
When the install procedure asks for a key, just click that you don't have one and continue on. After the install is complete, check in Settings under Activation, and you should see that it has activated. (You do need to have Internet connected, of course, before it will activate.)

Last edited:

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
If you decide to do a clean install, you'll be fine. The beauty of Windows 10 is that it uses a "digital" license based on the physical components of your PC (and your Microsoft account if you used one). It will automatically activate with only a HDD to SSD change.
When the install procedure asks for a key, just click that you don't have one and continue on. After the install is complete, check in Settings under Activation, and you should see that it has activated. (You do need to have Internet connected, of course, before it will activate.)
The install procedure doesn't even ask for a key anymore if you are installing it on a system that already was registered with Windows 10.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I already have it installed onto my HDD, and if i wanted to clean install wouldnt i have to buy another product key?
Not if the copy of W10 you have has a legit product key/activation key. The MS activation server ties the license to the motherboard. As long as you have the same board, you can clean install as many times as you want.
In fact, I've even installed a previously installed OEM license on a different board, re-entered the activation key, and it was (re?)activated when the desktop appeared. Apparently MS even allows for a move or two.

drvke

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
Not if the copy of W10 you have has a legit product key/activation key. The MS activation server ties the license to the motherboard. As long as you have the same board, you can clean install as many times as you want.
In fact, I've even installed a previously installed OEM license on a different board, re-entered the activation key, and it was (re?)activated when the desktop appeared. Apparently MS even allows for a move or two.
im going to start a new thread

I am attempting to use Macrium Reflect to transfer my OS from a 512b HDD to a 4096b SSD, but when i try to copy it tells me that the target has an incompatible sector size. I do not have a 3rd drive to image the drive, any suggestions?

This is perhaps the least understood issue on the board. Much discussion but no clear answer. See these threads, inter alia ( they may read easier with a short bourbon on ice).

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...512-bytes-to-4096-bytes.3425477/post-20753112

drvke

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
Are you talking about the W10 installation pgm when running off a flash drive? If so, remove the flash drive before the computer goes into POST.
Are you talking about the W10 installation pgm when running off a flash drive? If so, remove the flash drive before the computer goes into POST.
once i remove the flash drive, my board doesnt recognize the SSD as one of the UEFI boot options, so when i switch to legacy and UEFI the drive appears but doesnt display the “U” in the top right corner like my other bootable drives.

drvke

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
once i remove the flash drive, my board doesnt recognize the SSD as one of the UEFI boot options, so when i switch to legacy and UEFI the drive appears but doesnt display the “U” in the top right corner like my other bootable drives.
also i am using an MSI motherboard so i might need help finding settings in my BIOS

The ssd is non operating, ( can't clone, can't install windows, ) as I suggested in the thread I quoted above. The problem is that the drive's 512 emulation is not working so the sector size while accurate is not compatible with the HDD or any other consumer drive. Replace the SSD under warranty.

drvke

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
The ssd is non operating, ( can't clone, can't install windows, ) as I suggested in the thread I quoted above. The problem is that the drive's 512 emulation is not working so the sector size while accurate is not compatible with the HDD or any other consumer drive. Replace the SSD under warranty.
ok thanks for being patient with me.

TRENDING THREADS