[SOLVED] Struggling with fixing boot drive

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Hi all,

Unfortunately today I encountered an issue when attempting to create a partition on my boot drive. When I tried to resize my partition on the C: drive so i could create another partition my pc suddenly went into a BSOD with the error 0xC0000218: STATUS_CANNOT_LOAD_REGISTRY_FILE, I was able to reboot once however around 60 GBs of files were gone, this was mostly non important stuff (I’m hoping) i was still able to boot into windows at this point. Although things started to go wrong very quickly. I attempted to open some applications such as Firefox which would not run, as well as chrome which appeared to say it was now missing or not supported for this device. Something about a Bad Image. I attempted to restart the PC but was greeted with a similar blue screen saying windows failed to load because the kernel is missing or corrupt 0xc00000242.

I’ve spent the past two hours installing the windows recovery tool on a usb thumb drive. Once it installed and I booted in I tried several things. First thing to mention is when accessing the drive through command prompt files are still there. I do not really want to lose this data and I don’t really have any way of moving it to another drive. There are still videos etc I’m hoping that are not corrupt on there. I attempted a chkdsk which did change some stuff. It said that it was removing old orphan segments. After the chkdsk was complete I tried to restart but still was getting the same blue screen message. I tried to restore from a previous version which I had literally made only a couple of days ago. It said there were not any to restore from which is great. I have tried various commands to fix stuff relating to how the device boots. In the end I think windows is just missing files, I don’t really want to format the entire drive. Any ideas? Thanks.

Solution
If this happened to me I'd restore from a recent backup I made, but it seems that you don't have one. If that's the case, I'd get hold of a Linux disc or flash drive, boot from it, and you can examine the contents of that hard drive and copy them to an external device. I like Linux Mint because it has a user interface similar to Windows. You can download it here: https://linuxmint.com/download.php .

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Does the system boot at all?

If not, do you have another sacrificial drive around you can install an OS on?
Sadly I don’t, the system can only boot as far as saying “windows failed to load because the kernel is missing or corrupt 0xc00000242.“ I am currently booted into the windows restore but that’s it.

If this happened to me I'd restore from a recent backup I made, but it seems that you don't have one. If that's the case, I'd get hold of a Linux disc or flash drive, boot from it, and you can examine the contents of that hard drive and copy them to an external device. I like Linux Mint because it has a user interface similar to Windows. You can download it here: https://linuxmint.com/download.php .

Solution
When I tried to resize my partition on the C: drive so i could create another partition my pc suddenly went into a BSOD with the error 0xC0000218: STATUS_CANNOT_LOAD_REGISTRY_FILE
You probably didn't just resize the partition, but also tried to move it.
Partition relocation is risky process and it's recommended to avoid it, if possible, or make backup before it.

Your resizing/relocation failed and now your partition is corrupt.
Data recovery may not be possible anymore.

So - backup, what you can. Clean up and reinstall windows.

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Hi,
Thanks I will try this later tonight. Hopefully I'm able to transfer the data to my other drive.

adandd44

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
You probably didn't just resize the partition, but also tried to move it.
Partition relocation is risky process and it's recommended to avoid it, if possible, or make backup before it.

Your resizing/relocation failed and now your partition is corrupt.
Data recovery may not be possible anymore.

So - backup, what you can. Clean up and reinstall windows.
That's really strange. I didn't know windows partition manager could do that. All I wanted to do was separate my partition so I could create a dual boot for Windows and Fedora since i wanted to give another operating system a go.

But Data is still on the drive. I am able to see the files on the drive, using the windows restore tool I can open command prompt and open explorer from that, then look through my drive. Windows files etc are still there however i'm guessing stuff is missing. I've tried various repair commands from command prompt with no luck.

USAFRet

Titan
That's really strange. I didn't know windows partition manager could do that. All I wanted to do was separate my partition so I could create a dual boot for Windows and Fedora since i wanted to give another operating system a go.

But Data is still on the drive. I am able to see the files on the drive, using the windows restore tool I can open command prompt and open explorer from that, then look through my drive. Windows files etc are still there however i'm guessing stuff is missing. I've tried various repair commands from command prompt with no luck.
Don't "repair". This looks to be beyond that point.
Extract whatever data you can, and start over with a full wipe and reinstall.

For the future...no partition manipulation (move, resize, whatever) without a known good backup (on some other drive), and know how to recover it.

Reactions: wpgwpg