Stuck at 30hz at 4K

Koryboy

Reputable
May 4, 2015
I currently have the R9 295X2 plugged into the ASUS PB287Q.

Running a fresh and fully updated version of windows 8.1 as well as the newest recommended AMD drivers from AMD's website.

The R9 only has Mini Display Port therefor I purchased a 4K @ 60hz Startech compatible Mini displayport to Display Port adapter to plug in the monitor.

None of the FAQ and answers from AMD's 4K @ 60hz page solved my issue.

It shows that I am able to change it to 60hz via Desktop Properties in AMD catalyst control center and even during screen resolution modifications via the desktop.
But I simply get a black screen, it then sais No Signal Display Port and then reverts back to 30hz.
The R9 295X2 is compatible of running 4K @60hz. Drivers are updated.
Monitor is set to appropriate 1.2 setting.

Still am not getting 60hz, the Startech adapter I am using is 4K + 2K - 60hz compatible

Wondering what kind of adapter is able to get me 60hz @ 4K 3840X2160
Minidisplay Port - > Display Port

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Try another cable, or a shorter cable. You may find it hard to believe, but the full size DP connectors are somewhat frail and I've found them to be less reliable than even HDMI. I've actually had DOA DisplayPort cables, but never any other kind of connectors. Just might be bad luck of the draw for you; get another cable and try again.

Zaerekelt

Reputable
May 21, 2015

According to the product link, it should be running at 60Hz. Have you checked your monitor documentation to make sure it's not a possible issue, as some 4K monitors (early models) would not run 60Hz. Also, maybe try running a lower resolution to be sure that it is just the 4K resolution being limited? I am using a Samsung 4K at 60Hz but I'm running full size DisplayPort from GPU to monitor, I just simply connected and was running at 60Hz, unless I connected via HDMI; then got 30Hz. It looks like the cable you purchased is an actual cable, not an adapter. It should do the job. Have you tried completely uninstalling drivers and then starting with a clean install of the latest driver? I'm not familiar with AMDs cards and drivers so I can't speak from experience in that area.

Just throwing out some ideas to see if anything helps. If I come across any fixes or new ideas, I'll happily post again. Good luck.

Koryboy

Reputable
May 4, 2015
I am still getting 30hz tho you think the main Display Port might still be faulty?? youd think the adapter would be the cause since signal still gets through goodenough to get me 30hz at 4K

Koryboy

Reputable
May 4, 2015
It is just the 4K resolution being limited to 4K as it is running lower resolutions at 60hz no problem. Also the monitor is linked above and is 60hz compatible at 4K. Its also a fresh windows install and drivers

Zaerekelt

Reputable
May 21, 2015
Best idea at this point sounds like Doubletake's suggestion of a different cable. I would find it hard to believe that you would be likely to get two bad ones. If possible, find a known good cable to test in your system. If you are still having troubles, maybe try setting everything at defaults: monitor and graphics settings, and try again. Those would be my next attempts in your place anyway.