[SOLVED] Stuck at bios screen. help!

Feb 20, 2019
So I recently built a gaming pc and it was working great! I was playing titles like anthem, apex legends, and many more. The next day I decided to do some cable management and when I was finished I turned it back on and all I got was a bios screen. It says press F2 or DEL to enter bios but it won’t do anything. It’s like it’s frozen or something. I double checked all the cables a billion times. Switched out keyboards and even tried putting the ram in different slots. I’ve tried taking the drives out and booting like that and nothing seems to work. any suggestions? I could really use some help and all questions are appreciated.

Solution
If the OS drive is fine, and the PSU is fine, it might be the MOBO isnt working properly.

Could you try running a different OS drive in this computer and see if it will boot?

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
Yikes. That is a bummer.

When you redid all your cable management, did you make sure all the cables are connected properly with no recessed or bent pins?
Is your GPU seated correctly?
Is your RAM seated correctly?
Is your OS on an SSD or a HDD? Is it connected with both power and data correctly?
If you can get into the BIOS, you might want to check your Boot Priority Order
Is SAFE Mode an option?

Feb 20, 2019
Yikes. That is a bummer.

When you redid all your cable management, did you make sure all the cables are connected properly with no recessed or bent pins?
Is your OS on an SSD or a HDD? Is it connected with both power and data correctly?
Is SAFE Mode an option?
Yikes. That is a bummer.

Is SAFE Mode an option?
my GPU and RAM are seated correctly and my OS is on an SSD and it is connected with both power and data. I haven’t found any recessed or bent pins. When I boot up it goes to the screen before you get into the bios where is says press F2 or DEL to start the bios. And it won’t let me do anything. So safe mode is not an option.

Feb 20, 2019
Yikes. That is a bummer.

Is SAFE Mode an option?
Yikes. That is a bummer.

Is SAFE Mode an option?
my GPU and RAM are seated correctly and my OS is on an SSD and it is connected with both power and data. I haven’t found any recessed or bent pins. When I boot up it goes to the screen before you get into the bios where is says press F2 it DEL to start the bios. And it won’t let me do anything.
do you have the option to try your OS drive on another PC? If another PC can boot in to that drive, at least it will eliminate that as a problem.
I have another pc that i can try that with so Let me get back to you on that.

Feb 20, 2019
do you have the option to try your OS drive on another PC? If another PC can boot in to that drive, at least it will eliminate that as a problem.
So I was messing with the wiring And I forgot to put one of the cpu fan cables back in and didn’t put the keyboard the mouse or lan cable in and it booted to windows! But when I put the cpu fan cable back in and restarted the computer it went back to the same stuck at bios screen. But I tried taking the cpu fan cable out again it still didn’t work. But after turning it off and on a couple of time it worked again! and so I restarted it and now I’m back at the bios screen again. Maybe a power supply failure?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019
If the OS drive is fine, and the PSU is fine, it might be the MOBO isnt working properly.

Could you try running a different OS drive in this computer and see if it will boot?
I tried that already and it didn’t make a difference. I think it might be a motherboard failure because everything I’ve tried all ties down to the motherboard. Unless you can think of something else it might be. I really appreciate the help! Let me know if you have any further suggestions.