[SOLVED] Stuck between Intel and AMD

May 27, 2020
I was actually planning to upgrade my PC next week but it seems I'm still having a hard time figuring out on what to choose. I'm quite on a budget though. Just asking for advice on what should be the right upgrade.

This is my current PC:

*Processor: Intel i3-4170
*Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-DS2
*RAM: 2x8gb 1600 mhz
*SSD: Gigabyte 120gb
*HDD: Seagate 1tb and 500gb
*PSU: Seasonic S12 520w
*GPU: Palit GTX 1050ti
*CPU Cooler: Modded Deepcool Ice Edge Mini w/ custom Intel bracket.

*NOTE: I'm just planning to upgrade my proc, mobo, ram first. I'm keeping the rest of the parts until I can upgrade it.

The first one I chose is Ryzen 3 2200G w/ Gigabyte B450M-DS3H but I switched it to Ryzen 3 3200G since the said motherboard can already support 3rd gen Ryzen and added only a few $$$ for a newer gen processor. I've read some posts that Ryzen 3 3200G is not "good" pairing with a GPU since it already has an integrated graphics. They said that the integrated graphics would be a waste of money if it is paired with a GPU. I started looking in to Ryzen 5 2600 since it's one of the best Ryzen out there considering the price to performance ratio but the only disadvantage I'm seeing here is that when you are using this processor and your GPU was broken, you have no choice but to buy another GPU since it doesn't have integrated graphics. And going back, I'm quite on a budget so I can't say if I can buy a new GPU immediately if my current one got broken.

On the Intel side, I'm eyeing on i5-7500 with any Gigabyte B250/H270 motherboard.

To summarize, these are my options for processors:

AMD -> Ryzen 3 3200G / Ryzen 5 2600 (50-50 on this though)

Intel -> Intel i5-7500

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Solution
I was actually planning to upgrade my PC next week but it seems I'm still having a hard time figuring out on what to choose. I'm quite on a budget though. Just asking for advice on what should be the right upgrade.

This is my current PC:

*NOTE: I'm just planning to upgrade my proc, mobo, ram first. I'm keeping the rest of the parts until I can upgrade it.

The first one I chose is Ryzen 3 2200G w/ Gigabyte B450M-DS3H but I switched it to Ryzen 3 3200G since the said motherboard can already...

This is my current PC:

The first one I chose is Ryzen 3 2200G w/ Gigabyte B450M-DS3H but I switched it to Ryzen 3 3200G since the said motherboard can already support 3rd gen Ryzen and added only a few $$$ for a newer gen processor. I've read some posts that Ryzen 3 3200G is not "good" pairing with a GPU since it already has an integrated graphics. They said that the integrated graphics would be a waste of money if it is paired with a GPU. I started looking in to Ryzen 5 2600 since it's one of the best Ryzen out there considering the price to performance ratio but the only disadvantage I'm seeing here is that when you are using this processor and your GPU was broken, you have no choice but to buy another GPU since it doesn't have integrated graphics. And going back, I'm quite on a budget so I can't say if I can buy a new GPU immediately if my current one got broken.

On the Intel side, I'm eyeing on i5-7500 with any Gigabyte B250/H270 motherboard.

Intel -> Intel i5-7500

Since you have dedicated GPU, 2600 would be best option, CPU is much stronger than I3 and that i5 and 2200g has less cores and already has IGPU, also more cores/treads.

Reactions: EgupEgup
Solution

ShadowRD

Distinguished
May 3, 2016

This is my current PC:

Intel -> Intel i5-7500

I tested a build one month ago that really surprised me, i wasn't expecting good gaming performance from it.
  • Ryzen 3 3200G with stock cooler @3.9mhz
  • Asrock b450 Pro4 mobo
  • RX 580 XFX
  • 16GB Ram Gskill 3000mhz
  • SSD Kingston A400
I played max setting 1080p @60mhz stable without problem on Forza Horizon 4 and CoD MW

Last edited:
I'd go with the 2600...there's simply no comparison between the 2600 and the 3200G in gaming. Quad core CPUs are on the way out for gaming since most games will already use more than 4 cores...and certainly new A title games are using many more than 4 cores now.

May 27, 2020
What's your actual budget? There's probably better options you may not be realizing.

3200G is still Zen+ on 12nm, the same as the 2000 series non-APU.

I think for next week, I can max my budget around $300 for processor, mobo, ram but I'm still thinking if I should save more so I can bang for the buck. As per previous replies on this thread, Ryzen 5 2600 here in our place is around $120 and the mobo I wanted is I think around $80. Should you have any suggestions for my current budget, it will be highly appreciated.