Question Stuck between two monitors

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I recently purchased an Asus VG27AQ. I was also quite interested in the Gigabyte M27Q as well, until I discovered that their sub pixel layout was BGR instead of the traditional RGB, which can affect the readability of text.

I am now having second thoughts since I learned that Gigabyte quietly introduced a rev 2 version with the RGB layout. What is concerning is that there is no way to determine what rev the monitor is without looking at the shipping box or stand mounting (according to a Youtuber who researched it).

Backing up a little, my use profile includes general use, some RPG gaming (not really an FPS'er) and some photo editing. Note: I understand(?) that some of the traditional speed specs are not as relevant for RPG games. My other hardware includes:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MB: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified
GPU: EVGA FTW2 GAMING iCX GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB
And a second monitor: BenQ BL2420PT

The question is: should I return the Asus and purchase the Gigabyte? Will I even see the difference?

thanks

BurningSoul

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
I have a VG27AQ for about 2 years now and I love it very much. I believe at the time I bought it it was one of the top reviewed screens on the market in its price bracket.
I also have a MG279 as a secondary, and the VG27 has got a much better picture even though its the same IPS tech.

Reactions: vwcrusher