Question Stuck on bios

palves

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Dear all,
I have this 4 years old system:
MB: MSI B450 Tomhawk
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G (for testing purposes also replaced with ASUS GT720)
RAM G.Skill DDR43000 CL16 2*8GB
PSU: Corsair CV650
SSD NVME Corsair MP510
Windows 11 64b

Everything was working well until recently. The computer would crash and get stuck on a black screen (no bios data or tests, just a little hyphen on the corner of the screen). After some time, it would boot again. A couple of weeks later, it started getting slow — and I mean slow — and after 30 or 60 seconds, it froze. A restart would get stuck on the bios setup. I have updated the BIOS, and it is stuck on the bios setup.

Any suggestion on which component needs replacing?

I have tried 2 PSU, changed the GPU and removed and swap around the RAM sticks.

Dear all,
I have this 4 years old system:
MB: MSI B450 Tomhawk
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G (for testing purposes also replaced with ASUS GT720)
RAM G.Skill DDR43000 CL16 2*8GB
PSU: Corsair CV650
SSD NVME Corsair MP510
Windows 11 64b

Everything was working well until recently. The computer would crash and get stuck on a black screen (no bios data or tests, just a little hyphen on the corner of the screen). After some time, it would boot again. A couple of weeks later, it started getting slow — and I mean slow — and after 30 or 60 seconds, it froze. A restart would get stuck on the bios setup. I have updated the BIOS, and it is stuck on the bios setup.

I have tried 2 PSU, changed the GPU and removed and swap around the RAM sticks.
After you updated your motherboards BIOS did you clear CMOS?

palves

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
After you updated your motherboards BIOS did you clear CMOS?
Just did it.

Got an error of no disk with OS, changed from CMS to uefi and nvme M.2 is not being detected and back to being stuck on bios I loop. Put the nvme disk on an external case and I can access everything from another machine.

Thanks for your input

Reactions: helper800
Just did it.

Got an error of no disk with OS, changed from CMS to uefi and nvme M.2 is not being detected and back to being stuck on bios I loop. Put the nvme disk on an external case and I can access everything from another machine.

Thanks for your input
So, did putting the drive in another slot / PC solve the issue?

The computer would crash and get stuck on a black screen (no bios data or tests, just a little hyphen on the corner of the screen).
A restart would get stuck on the bios setup. I have updated the BIOS, and it is stuck on the bios setup.
That is often caused by inappropriate boot mode settings in BIOS.
For example, if you try to boot in legacy/CSM mode, when windows is installed in UEFI mode.
Can be also caused by boot device failure.

Check your boot settings in BIOS.
Check if your storage device is being properly detected in BIOS.

Reactions: helper800

TRENDING THREADS