Question stuck on black screen while installing any nvidia driver

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
everytime i try to install nvidia gaphics driver i get black screen in the middle of the installation. i wait for half an hour then a restart manually, but windows loading screen gets stuck also and i can't get into windows, i enter in safe mode and i disable nvidia drivers problem gets solved and i can get into my windows but with the graphics driver being disabled, the moment i try to enable it i get black screen.

things i tried:
- re installed the driver via safe mode.
- used DDU to properly clean leftovers before installing new driver.
-tried different version of nvidia drivers from the official geforce web sites, from guru, and from nvidia drivers website.
- disabled all windows services (this solved the problem for a while, but when i was surfing the internet, opening many youtube vids and tabs i got blue screen Video TDR faluire, and sometimes screen and mouse just gets stuck and when i restart problem come back again).
-unplugged my mouse before booting (this solved the problem also but only for a while and problem came back again).
-checked temps via msi afterburner, gpu temp are okay 45c on idle, cpu little high around 70c on load, 50c on idle.
-performed startup repair, system restore and tried another monitor.

my specs:
ZOTAC GTX 1060 3GB GPU
intel i5-3470 CPU
8GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte H61m-s2p motherboard
550w HEXA PSU
Windows 10 PRO

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try

Download Geforce driver applicable to your system from Geforce website using manual search, so you have the actual driver file. Not sure if you do it this way or use Geforce Experience, i guess you do since you tried multiple drivers. If you have driver already on hand then proceed to next step.

Run system file checker.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Once done, try install Geforce driver but run the installer as administrator. Reason for downloading driver so you can run it as administrator.

If still having issues, what programs are loaded with Windows? Check task manager startup items tab. Any third party antivirus software installed? Maybe try disable UAC security (User account control) temporarily.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Try

Download Geforce driver applicable to your system from Geforce website using manual search, so you have the actual driver file. Not sure if you do it this way or use Geforce Experience, i guess you do since you tried multiple drivers. If you have driver already on hand then proceed to next step.

Run system file checker.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...em-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Once done, try install Geforce driver but run the installer as administrator. Reason for downloading driver so you can run it as administrator.

If still having issues, what programs are loaded with Windows? Check task manager startup items tab. Any third party antivirus software installed? Maybe try disable UAC security (User account control) temporarily.
no third party antivirus software installed, at the startup tab there is a couples of apps like FXsound, internet download manager, Realtek HD audio manager, im also disabling microsoft windows security antivirus.. im trying now system file checker, after it finished should i just enable my nvidia driver again? or uninstall it and install it again?.

I'm also thinking of trying disabling all services through services.msc and then restart to see what will happend?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What do mean by enable nvidia driver? If it hasn't installed properly then reinstall after sfc. Use the clean install option in Geforce installer also.

Shouldn't need to disable other services. Anti virus is can be a cause and running driver as administrator makes sure nothing should interfere with the installation.

Since your Windows is Pro you can disable automatic device driver installation easily enough, another thing to try. Then you'd DDU afterwards in safe mode and run driver as administrator in normal Windows.

I don't think they have really been testing the newer drivers extensively with really old cards. I just tried to install the latest on multiple 10yo Maxwell cards and always got a BSOD on reboot, so resorted to 537.58 (the favorite of 3000 and 4000 series owners) which worked great on all of them. The situation with your 8yo Pascal card may be similar.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
What do mean by enable nvidia driver? If it hasn't installed properly then reinstall after sfc. Use the clean install option in Geforce installer also.

Shouldn't need to disable other services. Anti virus is can be a cause and running driver as administrator makes sure nothing should interfere with the installation.

Since your Windows is Pro you can disable automatic device driver installation easily enough, another thing to try. Then you'd DDU afterwards in safe mode and run driver as administrator in normal Windows.
nvidia driver already installed, but like i said i disable it through device manager in safe mode, that is the only way i can get through windows loading screen, if i enable it in safe mode and restart i'll be stuck in windows loading screen. i can't really tell if its installed properly or not since everytime i install it i get black screen in the middle of the installation, but i wait for half an hour and restart manually and then i get the stuck startup loading screen unless i disable the driver through device manager in safe mode or uninstall.

anyway i tried DISM tool but it won't work, i think because i have problems in my windows update.. everytime i try to update i get "installing updates" for a while and then i get " There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80073701)"

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
I don't think they have really been testing the newer drivers extensively with really old cards. I just tried to install the latest on multiple 10yo Maxwell cards and always got a BSOD on reboot, so resorted to 537.58 (the favorite of 3000 and 4000 series owners) which worked great on all of them. The situation with your 8yo Pascal card may be similar.
the oldest driver version i tried to install was 466.27 it has been released in year 2021 and got the same problem. should i try other older drivers? or 537.58 specifically?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
nvidia driver already installed, but like i said i disable it through device manager in safe mode, that is the only way i can get through windows loading screen, if i enable it in safe mode and restart i'll be stuck in windows loading screen. i can't really tell if its installed properly or not since everytime i install it i get black screen in the middle of the installation, but i wait for half an hour and restart manually and then i get the stuck startup loading screen unless i disable the driver through device manager in safe mode or uninstall.

anyway i tried DISM tool but it won't work, i think because i have problems in my windows update.. everytime i try to update i get "installing updates" for a while and then i get " There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80073701)"

Have you done sfc /scannow in cmd though?

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Have you done sfc /scannow in cmd though?
i've done sfc/sannow and got " Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

and then i decided to clean my pc from dust.. after i've done that problem solved, now i can log into my windows using nvidia driver enabled, i don't know how? i don't know if the cleaning solved the problem or something else. i also cleaned C:/windows/Temp files and app/temp files and folders, and disk cleanup..

but still i haven't tried to open lots of tabs and vids yet, as i got blue screen before when i used to do that.

update: the moment i posted this i got blue screen "video tdr faliure" and problem came back again

Last edited:

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
My guess is either graphics card or psu might be going bad. Can you try another gpu or spare psu from a friend?
unfortunately no, i used to notice at the beginning when i put a large home fan infront of the case i don't get any problems, but when i move away the fan the problem comes.. i dunno if its a coincidence or not

Last edited:

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Ok that's strange. You said in front of the case, is that actually the front because that wouldn't do much or do you mean blowing inside with side panel removed?
blowing inside with the side panel remove.. i was thinking maybe the gpu itself gets hot as im living in egypt and its summer, or the gpu ram gets hot.. but that doesn't explain the black screen the moment i enable my gpu driver.. anyway im now surfing the internet opening lots of tabs and vids without blue screen or stuck but without a gpu driver.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well there are vrms on the motherboard that could be getting too warm. Obviously your case doesn't have an intake fan right? Case with intake fans help flow air over all components.

But still, having fan still doesn't solve graphics card issue correct? There might be multiple problems happening at the same time. At least for now you can get some functionality from your pc with fan.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
Well there are vrms on the motherboard that could be getting too warm. Obviously your case doesn't have an intake fan right? Case with intake fans help flow air over all components.

But still, having fan still doesn't solve graphics card issue correct? There might be multiple problems happening at the same time. At least for now you can get some functionality from your pc with fan.
i started to doubt that having fan doesn't solve graphics card issue, because the moment i cleaned my case a little from dust the problem solved and windows logged in, but after minutes blue screen without the fan.. i'll try to install another side fan in the case tomorrow and see what happend. i only have one pc fan at the back.