Question Stuck on Motherboard boot up screen after installing new CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2019
Hi.

So recently I bought an i7 9700k to upgrade my CPU. After putting the CPU in and booting up my computer, I get stuck at the motherboard loading screen. I have a MSI z370 motherboard. Sometimes it gets stuck on this screen with an additional message "Preparing Automatic Repair". Initially there is a wheel that spins but after about 5 second, it just freezes. I have tried resetting my CMOS by removing the motherboard battery and putting it back in. I get stuck at the same loading screens.

I thought that the CPU might be defective, so I got a replacement and the same problem kept happening. When I put in my old CPU (i3-8100), my computer is able to start up fine.

I am pulling my hair out at this point and would appricate any help that I can get.

Thanks

Hi.

So recently I bought an i7 9700k to upgrade my CPU. After putting the CPU in and booting up my computer, I get stuck at the motherboard loading screen. I have a MSI z370 motherboard. Sometimes it gets stuck on this screen with an additional message "Preparing Automatic Repair". Initially there is a wheel that spins but after about 5 second, it just freezes. I have tried resetting my CMOS by removing the motherboard battery and putting it back in. I get stuck at the same loading screens.

I thought that the CPU might be defective, so I got a replacement and the same problem kept happening. When I put in my old CPU (i3-8100), my computer is able to start up fine.

I am pulling my hair out at this point and would appricate any help that I can get.

Thanks
First, like thx1138v2 suggests, do a BIOS update using the older CPU. Then, check that your PSU is up to snuff : that new chip probably pull 40W more (at least) than the older one, I wouldn't be surprised the extra power is making it fail.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Reinstalling Windows would have no impact on his problem : his system freezes even before Windows tries to boot.
It was from this:
Sometimes it gets stuck on this screen with an additional message "Preparing Automatic Repair".
Sometimes it can freeze before this if it is stalling trying to load into the OS.
So was just querying.

Additionally, are you using the same cooler?

It was from this:

Sometimes it can freeze before this if it is stalling trying to load into the OS.
So was just querying.

Additionally, are you using the same cooler?
If it reaches that part, then yes, it could be a faulty Windows install, but that is more than likely coming from his resetting the CMOS and re-enabling Legacy boot mode or instead disabling it, screwing up Windows boot and causing the repair to trigger. But for that to happen, it's probably deeper rooted : BIOS or power supply.
As for the cooler, throttling shouldn't cause the OS to fail booting.
There is one last possibility : a bent pin on the CPU socket, unused by the i3 but needed by the more recent CPU.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it reaches that part, then yes, it could be a faulty Windows install, but that is more than likely coming from his resetting the CMOS and re-enabling Legacy boot mode or instead disabling it, screwing up Windows boot and causing the repair to trigger. But for that to happen, it's probably deeper rooted : BIOS or power supply.
As for the cooler, throttling shouldn't cause the OS to fail booting.
There is one last possibility : a bent pin on the CPU socket, unused by the i3 but needed by the more recent CPU.
Agreed - I was just confirming what hadn't already been mentioned, that's all.
The BIOS was already mentioned, so wasn't going to repeat - however I think the BIOS is the best course of action first.

The cooler wasn't directly related to his problem, but also just wondering if he has indeed recycled the same cooler.

I will just gradually work through the causes, following the BIOS, then yes, I would also be verifying all installation referencing this: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm a tech noob. How can I go about checking if I need to update BIOS for the CPU to work. Additionally, how do I update my BIOS?
Go to the motherboards manufacturers page, go to support > BIOS and you'll find the BIOS files and instructions to update. I would link however the exact model MB was not specified.
You'll need the previous CPU in to update it if the current one does not boot.

I'm a tech noob. How can I go about checking if I need to update BIOS for the CPU to work. Additionally, how do I update my BIOS?
More often than not, updating the BIOS requires you download a ZIP file from your motherboard vendor, unpack it to the root of an empty USB key, then enter the BIOS and look for a section called BIOS Update or BIOS flash or Quick flash or whatever. Follow the on-screen instructions. after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.