[SOLVED] Stuck on VGA light with working GPU

Cool__Dude

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016
My PC is getting stuck on the VGA light during boot. The GPU works as i have tried it in a friends PC along with the power supply. I have tried clearing CMOS with the jumper pins and removing the battery, trying 1 stick of RAM in all slots with both of them, reseating the CPU a few times, loosening and tightening the cooler a bit to make sure it had good mounting pressure, dusting out the PCIE slots with compressed air, trying a different slot using a different PSU and GPU.

My old GPU I tried is an RX460 so it gets power from the slot which it does so the PCIE slots shouldn't be dead. The newest parts are a year old and have worked fine until now. i have no idea what else I could try. when it boots it passes CPU and DRAM fine but gets stuck on VGA. My specs are:

CPU Ryzen 1600x
GPU ROG Strix RTX 2070
RAM 16GB 2666MHz
PSU Corsair VS650
Motherborad Gigabyte AB350-Gaming3

Solution
Based on your testing, i'd say your MoBo is dead.

How i came to this conclusion?

Well, MoBo shows VGA LED, indicating that your GPU might be an issue. Since you tested your GPU in 2nd PC and it was working fine, the issue isn't with your GPU. You also tested 2nd GPU in your PC and in different PCI-E slots, without any effect. Even different PSUs didn't help. At this point, only MoBo could be the culprit.

As far as what might have caused the MoBo to die, i'd look towards your Corsair VS-series PSU.

Why?

Corsair VS series is the worst PSU offered by Corsair and that's a low quality unit. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC without a dedicated GPU and which never sees any high loads, let alone powering a gaming PC with...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Well, MoBo shows VGA LED, indicating that your GPU might be an issue. Since you tested your GPU in 2nd PC and it was working fine, the issue isn't with your GPU. You also tested 2nd GPU in your PC and in different PCI-E slots, without any effect. Even different PSUs didn't help. At this point, only MoBo could be the culprit.

As far as what might have caused the MoBo to die, i'd look towards your Corsair VS-series PSU.

Why?

Corsair VS series is the worst PSU offered by Corsair and that's a low quality unit. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC without a dedicated GPU and which never sees any high loads, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it. And when PSU starts acting up, MoBo is usually the 1st one to go (MoBos are very sensitive to power fluctuations).

Here, i'd buy a new MoBo and new, better quality PSU as well, e.g any Seasonic unit in 650W range, like: Focus GX/PX or PRIME GX/PX/TX series. (All three of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Solution

Cool__Dude

Reputable
Sep 24, 2016

Why?

Corsair VS series is the worst PSU offered by Corsair and that's a low quality unit. I wouldn't even use VS series to power an office PC without a dedicated GPU and which never sees any high loads, let alone powering a gaming PC with it with dedicated GPU in it. And when PSU starts acting up, MoBo is usually the 1st one to go (MoBos are very sensitive to power fluctuations).

Here, i'd buy a new MoBo and new, better quality PSU as well, e.g any Seasonic unit in 650W range, like: Focus GX/PX or PRIME GX/PX/TX series. (All three of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)
I bought a new Mobo ans psu and its back up and running. I was unaware of how low quality is VS series PSU's were. thank you for helping

Reactions: Aeacus