[SOLVED] Stuck on windows logo when trying to boot pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2019
Hello again!

I asked a question a few days ago about my pc turning off and on and you guys told me about my motherboard being outdated, i bought a new one and hurray the pc turns on and works fine, everything is detected, temperatures are fine etc .. But there's one thing that is not working and t's my OS, i van access the bios just fine but i litterally cannot go further than that. I get the windows logo( and sometimes juste à black screen) spinning dots, and then nothing the whore image just freezes and i have to force shut down my pc. I thought that my old version of windows was corrupted so i decided to clean my SSD completly and install a fresh Windows 10 i just bought, but it did the same thing.. i tried looking at multiple forums but every solution given was after the windows install which i do not have at the moment. So i'm really lost as to why this is happening, could it be hardware related ? ( Forgot to mention that the windows on the usb key works completely as 3 of my friends bought pcs on the last week and they all used this Usb)

Thanks in advance !

My pc specs :

INTEL I5 9600K
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
NVIDIA GTX 1070
2 TO HDD
240 GO SSD
CORSAIR RM650

Solution
D
you could try downloading a linux bootable usb and see if you can run linux from the usb, if it all works, your hardware is good and you need a clean install, even if you don't want to.

the very fact that you added all these new components and did NOT clean install windows is the very first mistake you made and is most likely your problem. DO NOT update the bios if it's working.
Oct 26, 2019
fresh os install?
I'va had this pc for 3 years with windows on it working well. And after putting together all the new components i had bought, windows wouldn't startup ans freeze before i could even reach the installation process, i thought my windows was corrupted so i formated my SSD where the old windows was and tried to install a fresh Windows i just bought a few hours ago, but same thing happened... windows logo, spinning dots for 2 seconds and then nothing at all :/

Oct 26, 2019
Update :
So i tried disabling the turbo boost and it worked the installation started ans everything but while the installation i got a blue screen with the error code DPC_Watchdog_violation, and u get it everytime i try to install windows :/ ( Clean install)

D

Deleted member 14196

you will have to start testing all the major components one by one to narrow down the culprit

i would clear the CMOS and reset to all defaults in the BIOS until you have an ultra stable system.

Reactions: Captainveet
Oct 26, 2019
you will have to start testing all the major components one by one to narrow down the culprit

i would clear the CMOS and reset to all defaults in the BIOS until you have an ultra stable system.
Will memtest suffice to test all the other components or do i have to download something else to test them ? My BIOS still has everything default except for the intel turbo boost that i disabled as it stopped me from installing windows.

D

Deleted member 14196

you could try downloading a linux bootable usb and see if you can run linux from the usb, if it all works, your hardware is good and you need a clean install, even if you don't want to.

the very fact that you added all these new components and did NOT clean install windows is the very first mistake you made and is most likely your problem. DO NOT update the bios if it's working.

Solution
Oct 26, 2019

Ok so i got off work to solve this problem, it's really bothering me :( when you said that not clean installing windows when i installed new components was a mistake i'm not quite sure what it means, should i have erased my old windows version from my SSD and installed a new one directly ? As of now i only have my formated SSD plugged to avoir any disturbance with the HDD. Installing windows on a clean SSD means a clean install, right ? ( That's what i'm unsure about )

Oct 26, 2019
How to do a clean install

yes, you are going to format the SSD and install a new version of windows

back up all your pictures, documents and whatever data you care about, verify it's a good backup, then proceed
Ok so i already did that yesterday, completely cleaned my SSD with msi erase + and even with a clean install the installation fails that's why i'm so lost, memory check is almost done and still no errors so once this is done i'll install Linux on it to check for possible hardware issues. Unplugging my HDD is not a problem,right ? Windows shouldn't need it to install if i'm not mistaken. I dont know if it matters or not but i installed on my HDD the MsI live update software. I know the bluescreen error i got could also be driver related so i figured i should mention that

D

Deleted member 14196

you are doing it right. you are supposed to unplug all other drives except the one you are installing windows onto. so only having the ssd plugged in is the right thing to do.

these linux oses you can install to a usb, and boot off it and see if your hardware is ok. i would go with Ubuntu Gamepack and give all your hardware a whirl.
https://www.fossmint.com/best-linux-distros-to-install-on-usb/

if they fail to install it's hardware related, if not cpu (which is never likely) it could be motherboard, even a shoddy ssd.

https://ualinux.com/download/category/25-ubuntu-gamepack

Reactions: Captainveet
Oct 26, 2019
you are doing it right. you are supposed to unplug all other drives except the one you are installing windows onto. so only having the ssd plugged in is the right thing to do.

these linux oses you can install to a usb, and boot off it and see if your hardware is ok. i would go with Ubuntu Gamepack and give all your hardware a whirl.
https://www.fossmint.com/best-linux-distros-to-install-on-usb/

if they fail to install it's hardware related, if not cpu (which is never likely) it could be motherboard, even a shoddy ssd.

https://ualinux.com/download/category/25-ubuntu-gamepack
Ok do i just finished downloading the ubuntu gamepack, but i'm unsure what i should do next. I can either try ubuntu without installing, install it, check SSD, check memory or launch through the first hard drive. What do i do ?

Oct 26, 2019
Alright so i tested a few things and kept searching for solutions. None of them worked but on a certain forum i found a guy that had exactly the same problem. Fresh pc, clean install, he even have his pc to be repaired but nothing worked, sale thing for linux. The only thing that worked for him was the bios update, i'm currently searching for one but don't want to download something bad and break the warranty because of a bad move. If i go on Msi website and type my Board i find a list of Bios updates. Do i download the last one ? Mine is from january 2019 and the last one is from august.

Thanks again and sorry for spamming this thread

Oct 26, 2019
This thread can be closed i just fixed the problem, as you guys mentioned BIOS update was the culprit, installed the latest bios, windows with uefi and no problems occured, thanks for all the help !

Status
Not open for further replies.