[SOLVED] Student buying a laptop on a tight budget

nikola_38

Reputable
Jun 13, 2017
1.What is your budget?
300-400 euros

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
-14 to 15.6 inches
3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter 1920x1080 preferable, 1336x768 is fine.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable
5. How much battery life do you need?
At least 6-7 hours, I usually use the battery saver mode.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
My budget is very small, so I expect only to be able to play games such as hearthstone or tft(LOL) on low settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
-Programming, surfing the net, watching yt videos.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
An SSD 256gb.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-Ceneje.si(it contains every shop in Slovenia)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Till I finish uni at least, which should be less than 3 years from now(if all goes according to plan)
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Don't need any of these.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have no idea on what's better or worse on the laptop market.

13. What country do you live in?
Slovenia.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am curious is 8gb ram needed? And which processors are good enough? I was looking at i3 7020u, ryzen 2200u and i3 8145 are they over kill? Should I maybe go for a 10110u? Or are pentium g5405u enough?

Last edited:
Solution
Windows by itself will take up most of the 4gb ram and watching youtube will take up even more, so 8gb is really ideal.

The 7020u and pentium both perform like an i3 from 5 years ago with the 2200u being faster and a fair bit better in games, granted, as long as they are paired with an ssd you probably wont notice a difference.

The 8145u and 10110u are both the same speed and considerably faster in both applications and games vs the others, but in day to day usage like browsing, as long as you have a ssd, I'd be hard pressed to see a difference.

Basically
10110u = 8145u > 2200u > g5405u > 7020u
Windows by itself will take up most of the 4gb ram and watching youtube will take up even more, so 8gb is really ideal.

The 7020u and pentium both perform like an i3 from 5 years ago with the 2200u being faster and a fair bit better in games, granted, as long as they are paired with an ssd you probably wont notice a difference.

The 8145u and 10110u are both the same speed and considerably faster in both applications and games vs the others, but in day to day usage like browsing, as long as you have a ssd, I'd be hard pressed to see a difference.

Basically
10110u = 8145u > 2200u > g5405u > 7020u

Solution