Studio XPS mouse and screen not working

johnssnaz

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Came home yesterday and booted up. Noticed the signal for the mouse was not wroking. Computer booted up but screen was blank. Pushed puttons on the screen and it said it was in power save mode. I do not think there is any power to the plug in on the computer for accessories such as mouse, key board etc.?

Sounds like the computer is dead. Are there lights on the computer, drive sounds like it's spinning? Have you checked the connections to everything? Could be a bad power supply or motherboard. Check the motherboard for any issues, most often you will see popped capacitors on it. You can try to reset the BIOS as well, unplug the system from power, and remove the CMOS battery for about 15 seconds. Turn it back on again, see if it works. If not, try a different power supply. If that does not fix things, try a different mothrboard.

johnssnaz

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013

johnssnaz

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Thank you for the reply! I called Dell yesterday and as usual it was 2 months out of warranty. I found out quickly that they are not 2 responsive once warranty is out. I took it to our local computer store. They called today and said it was ready. They cleaned and re-set all the memory sticks and cleaned and re-set the drives. Said it is working fine. 22.00, cheap fix. I will print out your reply for future reference.