Study: Asus, Toshiba Make Most Reliable Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
Indeed... out of 10 laptops that end up in my desk at work I would say 7 are HP. Seems that Quanta and Compal doesn't like'em very much...

rjkucia

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
These rates seem a little high... maybe it's because my 4 year old Compaq still (amazingly) works? Or did they include battery failures as well?

triplanetary

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]rjkucia[/nom]These rates seem a little high... maybe it's because my 4 year old Compaq still (amazingly) works? Or did they include battery failures as well?[/citation]

I think it's because a lot of people don't take proper care of their computers. I used my Dell laptop for three years, and it still ran as smoothly as when I first got it. Then I sold it to my roommate two months ago and it presently runs like shit.

liquidblue

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I'm actually looking forward to the Asus/Toshiba deal. When looking for a laptop for work a few weeks ago I was torn between two builds that were the same from both manufactures. Hopefully they can tag up and destroy the competition.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I find these numbers to be very off actually. We have hundreds of laptops as well as desktops and the between dell and hp's we only seem to have problems with the dell's. What is also rather funny to me is the hp laptops that I have had at my home have Asus motherboards. Heck even my hp desktop had an asus motherboard and video card. Does anyone actually even know who makes dell's boards????

As far as the failure rates go what exactlly are they measuring for failures? Are these failure's due to HD's, Mem, Motherboards, CPU's, GPU's, etc...... Perhaps the reason for higher rate of failure from one brand to the next is due to the components used. I have a compaq that is 10 years old and still works fine. Then again I have purchased higher powered laptops that only last a year. Lets face it. typically in the past you got more for your money from HP, Acer, etc.. than lets say dell or sony. However, with a more powerful laptop comes increased heat. It should be a no brainer that heat is what kills a laptop faster than a desktop.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I don't see how these studies have any relevance since most of these companies don't include their own hardware (except ASUS)...it seems more like a trend of bad luck to me...

I can see how this study is reliable. The HP's and Compaqs I have owned have been junk; barely lasted a year each. That has nothing to do with maintenance or luck. I decided enough with that and got a Toshiba laptop and I am quite impressed with its reliability and build quality.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
HP C.C look at that failure rate. Still I like the dv6t core i7 edition and the price. Dell seems to have jacked up their price a bit on their i7 offering.

Asus? Sony? hmmm same company right? I wouldn't buy their product though.. I think Dell on this chart is very fair. I'm amazed that Apple is only a little below Dell. I am guessing comparing Dell and Apple here might have a lot to do with geforce 8600M failures but I'm not sure.

HP might be counting Compaq too since I don't see it listed here. Never buy a Compaq unless you want headaches. Everyone I talk to knows that though. I think HP should build their compaq line with higher quality and match up the price and quality to the HP products. Why would Compaq have to be an inferior brand? Kinda ignorant to buy Compaq then continue it being crap.

Now Asus buying Toshiba? Looks like 3 manufactures to strike off my list as reliable. Chart or not chart, I know the facts.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
toshiba batteries are terrible though. after two years of almost no use, my battery doesn't last 7 minutes. but the laptop still works great just now its a 2nd smaller desktop.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]Lenovo needs to bring back IBM's old designs for notebooks. Those were tanks.[/citation]

If they weighed like tanks as well, that might have been a problem...

Not trying to be funny (well, not so much) but rather practical - people need to be able to carry notebooks around, that's their whole point of existence!

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
But how well does this scale I mean sure 30% is not a good thing for the bigger manufacturers but if ASUS and Toshisba sold the same ammount of their counterparts, would their precentage be higher than it is per laptop?

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]buwish[/nom]I can see how this study is reliable. The HP's and Compaqs I have owned have been junk; barely lasted a year each. That has nothing to do with maintenance or luck. I decided enough with that and got a Toshiba laptop and I am quite impressed with its reliability and build quality.[/citation]

You totally went over the concept of my response. These companies don't include their OWN hardware (except ASUS I'm sure has options for it's motherboard possibly)...so why base failure on a company that pieces together your computer? My Alienware laptop hard drive just failed which was made my Samsung...so do I blame Alienware? I don't see how they had anything to do with the hard drive other than putting it in my laptop...that was the idea of my point!

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
After rereading my response I guess that is just how things work in life. If your alternator dies in your vehicle you blame who made the vehicle (found out my old dodge had a German alternator) and then they will probably blame the manufacturer who made it...so I guess yeah...the stats does have some relevance...

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Does this study take into account the differences in the type of users who would buy an ASUS instead of an HP? I'm thinking there is a fundamental difference between "sold at Wal-Mart" and "hot seller on New Egg." I'd venture to say the average NewEgg shopper knows how to troubleshoot their own hardware. The average Wal-Mart (computer) shopper.... "What does this button do?"

alantlchan

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
[citation][nom]rebturtle[/nom]Does this study take into account the differences in the type of users who would buy an ASUS instead of an HP? I'm thinking there is a fundamental difference between "sold at Wal-Mart" and "hot seller on New Egg." I'd venture to say the average NewEgg shopper knows how to troubleshoot their own hardware. The average Wal-Mart (computer) shopper.... "What does this button do?"[/citation]

QFT
There is surely significant difference between tech-savvy users and average users

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
They should (hopefully they did) exclude failures due to bad memory, HD, optical drive, and battery. Malfunctions of the mainboard, display are the important ones.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]rebturtle[/nom]Does this study take into account the differences in the type of users who would buy an ASUS instead of an HP? I'm thinking there is a fundamental difference between "sold at Wal-Mart" and "hot seller on New Egg." I'd venture to say the average NewEgg shopper knows how to troubleshoot their own hardware. The average Wal-Mart (computer) shopper.... "What does this button do?"[/citation]

What I don't understand is that when people have doubts or thoughts, CAN'T THEY F*ING READ THE MANUAL !?!

Here's a quote from the Appendix of the report;

Only malfunctions reported directly to SquareTrade are included in the data. Other malfunctions, including software issues handled directly by the retailer, problems associated with product recalls, and those fixed by software/firmware updates, may not be represented in this data.

That wasn't hard to read now, was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.