Study: Vista Startup Time is Faster Than Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes perfect sense.....

...that a company who makes it's living selling crapware that's supposed to speed your startup times says the newest version of windows is slow and needs their stuff.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
my win 7 astartup and vista starup actually switched. it takes longer to get to the desktop using win7 but being able to use my desktop once its shown is almost instant whereas vista I always had to wait an extra 2 minutes before I could even use a browser.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
I may be in the minority but I just don't care about the speed it takes my computer to boot up (within reason obviously). My concern is will it run smoothly once booted. I dont have an issue in either regard after running the Win7 RC for a couple of months. Much better than Vista.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
that's a good point. Startup time is also extremely important to me...Considering I restart my win 7 pc about once ever two or 3 days.... I also like the lack of details regarding what processes were running, or how many. my current win 7 box has 58 processes after startup, including pidgin, outlook, media monkey, steam, and avg. I remember making a note that after a clean install I had 35 processes running. I have never done a side by side comparison, but after using Vista x64 ultimate since it was released, I find win 7 to startup significantly faster, especially the startup programs. It is usable for me as soon as the desktop appears. Usable is a relitive and subjective term though.

tomasf

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
not true, have use win 7 since beta and I can say that it have never toke more than a minute to fully load y my old c2d 6550 4gb ram an 750gb hd and 2x gt9600. who knows how much crapware have the installed

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Don't know what these "experts" are talking about.

Even with Win7RC, my notebook boots faster than any Vista I've ever seen. Hell, even a P3-512mb boots faster than vista with a dualcore/3GB RAM. Freash install, months later.

In terms of benchmarking computations... Win7 is still slower than XP (still has much of the vista bloat), but doing rendering, etc - is not so much a big deal. But transferring data, opening programs, windows, accessing data *IS* important as its something we can see.

Most people wouldn't notice the difference between a dual core and a quad core.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
It starts up faster for me on my core2duo and especially on my Pentium 4. it also runs a lot more efficient on my P4 than vista ultimate did on that one. I notice a big difference.

G

[citation][nom]nicklasd87[/nom]I find win 7 to startup significantly faster, especially the startup programs. It is usable for me as soon as the desktop appears. Usable is a relitive and subjective term though.[/citation]
I get the same results on both my desktop (64-bit) and my laptop (32-bit). Both my systems botup very quickly and are usable as soon as the desktop appears.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]my win 7 astartup and vista starup actually switched. it takes longer to get to the desktop using win7 but being able to use my desktop once its shown is almost instant whereas vista I always had to wait an extra 2 minutes before I could even use a browser.[/citation]

Hit the nail on the head there, Vista may present you with a desktop quickly but it's sure as heck not done 'starting up' yet.

Also, I'll happily suffer through a longer start up time if it means that when the system is running, running and loading programs will be faster.

Honestly, I start/restart the system once or twice a day max, that startup time is the least of my problems.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
How long will you have a brand new computer? That boots fasters on vista then win7 *assuming this article is correct*.. Now how long will you have 3-6 mounth old computer that boots up faster then vista..

IMO Win7 wins this race.

I smell cattle and manure. My Win 7 64bit Release Candidate boots relatively quickly still, even after installing anti-virus, games, and other garbage on it. It still is more responsive, and smoother running than my Vista 64bit install, with the same hardware.

Besides, I'd say iola has a bias and a profit to make off the results. I'd rather read something along these lines from a 3rd party, non-profit making organization that does several tests on several different machines, with Vista and Win 7 (Release version). And I'm talking old machines, new machines, Intel, AMD, etc. Let's talk real world tests.

mlauzon76

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
As someone said on the Maximum PC post of this story, and I agree with them:

"I would take these study results with a grain of salt, as the company in question makes system optimizer software among others."

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Unless I am missing something, what is th ebig deal with startup time. I shut my computer down about 4 times last year. Do that many people still start up their computers, daily?

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
This article seem empty.
There is so many variables... hardware used: cpu(s)... video card(s).. ram... ram clocking... os 32-64bits... harddrive.. hd controler(s)...

So some machine COULD load slower... but some other WOULD load extremely faster!

So they found machine(s) where Win7 run slower than Vista.. so what ?!?

G

hmm....Vistas time to a blue screen is also faster compared to Win 7

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
who cares? if you turn your computer off and on every day, then you have more important things to worry about.. like your HDD.

G

I have a Dell XPS m1530 Core 2Duo T9300 with 128G Samsung SSD and Vista 64 boots up to logon in 20 seconds and another 10 and I'm in IE for a total of 30 seconds. With the Windows 7 RC, it's 15 seconds to logon and another 5 to IE for a total of 20 seconds. That makes Windows 7 33% faster bootup on my box.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
same here, sometimes the loading screen takes longer, sometimes its just a few seconds, but once i type in my password on the login screen my sidebar and all the gadgets pop right up and my AV and other startup programs are all loaded. My CPU usage graph spikes up for a second or two and then it's done loading everything and idles. Performance on my desktop is noticeably better than vista, and my netbook runs it better than XP sometimes.

someone must not know how to use msconfig is all i can figure.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I dont know why but I kind of like Vista, and I have the regular 32bit version. I dont have any problems with it, I still use XP with my netbook and frankly I like Vistas interface better. I have delt with all the warning prompts, and besides that Vista is handy and i have 4Gigs of RAM and a 2.8GH C2D to make sure my PC wont slow down. This will be good until I get a true next gen PC which will be in a year or 1.5yrs.

I hate how the marketing of Microsoft just ditched Vista and held on to XP until its dying breath(still going strong on the netbook and older pc front) and waited for WIN7. They made it seem like Vista was the one that was shunned and was being replaced. In truth its not and we will see alot more Vista machines now.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I guess the public who have been using Win7 disagree with these inhouse tests... LMAO.... FAIL!

Come on, admit it... Microsoft actually did good!.... hehe

nostress

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I don't know whose ass they pulled that data from, but it's just rubbish.

I've actually timed my start-up, from the moment I pressed the power button to the moment the cpu no longer spiked. 1:26 seconds on a medium-spec machine (C2Duo E4500, 4Gb RAM, 7200RPM WDC, GeForce 9800GT), on a two month-old Windows 7 installation.

I have no idea what systems they did their benchmarking on, but it seems that my Win7 installation, running Avira Antivir and other 'common-used software' on startup, has a faster time to desktop than a fresh install, and that's something I simply refuse to believe.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Ever since the beta of Win7 my boot and use of Windows has been faster than Vista. ( both x64 ) So this article makes me wonder.. And im a person that also formats often so I really am weirded out with this. Anyhow.. I rarely even ever restart my PC and I have to say that Windows 7 are just shitloads of times better and faster than Vista in any other bit from Vista eitherway so I really wouldnt care much personally.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
come on, that's all nonsense iolo saying, 7 is GREAT.
really, almost everyone that tried it know it's faster even in boot time.
NEXT!

Status
Not open for further replies.