[SOLVED] Stumped on trouble shooting constant restarting build right after it POST

Dec 20, 2021
The build:
Gigatbyte X570 PRO + Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti, 2x16 GB G.SKILL DDR4 3200, WD M.2 1 TB, EVGA SuperNova 850.

Build is roughly 2 months old. Gaming one night and the computer just restarts. Reboots to windows and a few minutes later and restarts again. Eventually the system just starts restarting as soon as the windows logo shows up. Did all the standard trouble shooting (swapped around things, tried spare parts), and nothing seemed to fix the constant restarting. All the temperatures seemed good prior to the restart so I don't think its overheating. Eventually the restarting got bad enough to start crashing when I tried to enter the BIOS.

Thought it might be a bad MOBO, so I swapped everything over to a MSI B550 Tammowhawk board I had, and still getting the constant reboots. I tested all the components in another PC I had and there were no issues with any of them.

So basically, the computer will POST and I can get into the BIOS, but if you try to do anything after that, it will restart. I tried running Memtest but as soon as it loaded from a USB it restarts. Tried running windows installer from a USB, restarts.

Last ditch effort I unplugged everything from the board save the RAM and chip, to see if there was some kind of shorting from anything, but still just restarts if you try booting anything past the BIOS. This leaves only the PSU and the CPU. I do not have a spare one of those to test. All the voltages seemed fine coming from the PSU and everything starts and powers on normally, so I'm not thinking its the PSU. So could it be the CPU? Always thought that if that is fubared you generally will not post, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks for anyones help on the matter!

Solution
EVGA SuperNova 850
which SuperNova?
there are multiple tiers of SuperNova models, some are very unreliable and not designed for gaming or other heavily tasked systems.
2x16 GB G.SKILL DDR4 3200...
I tried running Memtest but as soon as it loaded from a USB it restarts.
if you can't even start a Memtest run to verify memory condition then it's still a good chance that it may be memory failing.
Thought it might be a bad MOBO, so I swapped everything over to a MSI B550 Tammowhawk board I had
you can also try a new disk.
data access failing can also lead to crashes/restarting.
The build:
Gigatbyte X570 PRO + Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti, 2x16 GB G.SKILL DDR4 3200, WD M.2 1 TB, EVGA SuperNova 850.

Build is roughly 2 months old. Gaming one night and the computer just restarts. Reboots to windows and a few minutes later and restarts again. Eventually the system just starts restarting as soon as the windows logo shows up. Did all the standard trouble shooting (swapped around things, tried spare parts), and nothing seemed to fix the constant restarting. All the temperatures seemed good prior to the restart so I don't think its overheating. Eventually the restarting got bad enough to start crashing when I tried to enter the BIOS.

Thought it might be a bad MOBO, so I swapped everything over to a MSI B550 Tammowhawk board I had, and still getting the constant reboots. I tested all the components in another PC I had and there were no issues with any of them.

So basically, the computer will POST and I can get into the BIOS, but if you try to do anything after that, it will restart. I tried running Memtest but as soon as it loaded from a USB it restarts. Tried running windows installer from a USB, restarts.

Last ditch effort I unplugged everything from the board save the RAM and chip, to see if there was some kind of shorting from anything, but still just restarts if you try booting anything past the BIOS. This leaves only the PSU and the CPU. I do not have a spare one of those to test. All the voltages seemed fine coming from the PSU and everything starts and powers on normally, so I'm not thinking its the PSU. So could it be the CPU? Always thought that if that is fubared you generally will not post, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks for anyones help on the matter!
Unlikely to be the CPU itself. I'd suspect CPU cooling issue or power supply. Tell us about your CPU cooler and case fan setup.

EVGA makes around a dozen Supernova models with varying levels of quality from awesome to mediocre crap. Which one do you have?

EVGA SuperNova 850
which SuperNova?
there are multiple tiers of SuperNova models, some are very unreliable and not designed for gaming or other heavily tasked systems.
2x16 GB G.SKILL DDR4 3200...
I tried running Memtest but as soon as it loaded from a USB it restarts.
if you can't even start a Memtest run to verify memory condition then it's still a good chance that it may be memory failing.
Thought it might be a bad MOBO, so I swapped everything over to a MSI B550 Tammowhawk board I had
you can also try a new disk.
data access failing can also lead to crashes/restarting.

Solution
Dec 20, 2021
The PSU is a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5, 80 Plus Gold 850W.

Concerning the memory. I put the RAM in another functioning computer and ran memtest on that computer and the sticks passed, leading me to think that it's not likely that the memory is the culprit.