Stunted benchmarks GRID2?

agent031693

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015
A while ago upgraded to an MSI Armor RX 580 4gb from a GTX 750 ti (paired with an i5-4570s, 16gb RAM, and a Samsung 850 EVO SSD) and have seen the improvements I expected as far as playing games at higher settings and still achieving 60fps. Recently, however, I installed and benchmarked GRID2 several times, double checking with FRAPS to find out that my FPS seems very low. First of all, even at the absolute lowest settings I cannot get above an average of 49fps. Furthermore, from lowest settings to substantially higher settings yields very minuscule differences in frame rates (except for load screens seem far choppier at higher settings). Below are three different test scenarios and the fps results

First test::
Resolution: 1366x768 (native screen resolution)
Multisampling: 2xFXAA
Quality preset: Ultra
Results: FPS
Min: 40
Ave: 45
Max: 51

2nd test::
Resolution: 1366x768
Multisampling: 2xMSAA
Quality preset: High
Min: 38
Ave: 47
Max: 53

3rd test::
Resolution: 800x600
Multisampling: n/a
Quality preset: Ultra low
Min: 50
Ave: 53
Max: 58

**Update 4th test that makes no sense**
Resolution: 1680x1050
Multisampling: 8f16x EQAA
Quality preset: Ultra
Min: 40
Ave: 46
Max: 52

I fully understand that this is a game that most likely favors NVIDIA over AMD. Also it is the only game I play that oddly markets Intel Integrated Graphics (so I assume its not this graphic intensive that my RX 580 is incapable of achieving 60fps average). I did perform a quick google search of "GRID2 benchmarks" to find that a system with stock-clocked i7-3770k and a Radeon HD 7970 achieved an average 130fps with identical settings to my 2nd test. Seeing how that processor is nearly on par with mine, and my GPU should certainly outperform the older Radeon, does anybody know what is going on here???? I checked to make sure that all of my drivers are updated, and this is the only scenario that I am not getting anywhere near the FPS that I expect from this modern GPU.

Any troubleshooting advise would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Grid 2 actually favours amd over nvidia , it's nvidia users that have always had issues with fps drops & slowdowns.

As you summise you should be getting way way better performance that that , at that resolution you should be able to max settings with a 580 with no issue & still hit 60fps

Are the intel options in the graphics menu disabled ??

When you swapped gpu's did you clean out all previous nvidia drivers & files properly ??
Grid 2 actually favours amd over nvidia , it's nvidia users that have always had issues with fps drops & slowdowns.

As you summise you should be getting way way better performance that that , at that resolution you should be able to max settings with a 580 with no issue & still hit 60fps

Are the intel options in the graphics menu disabled ??

When you swapped gpu's did you clean out all previous nvidia drivers & files properly ??

Solution

agent031693

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015

What intel options? I don't see any intel specific options in the graphics menu. However, I just changed resolution, multisampling, and preset. I haven't dug into the advance settings. What intel graphic options should I look for? Never heard of intel specific graphic options mucking up fps results

Also, this was actually a fresh install on this SSD, the same time I upgraded GPU I upgraded from a 120gb laptop hdd, to 500gb SSD. Was easiest to just start with fresh OS.

On the steam store page for this game, there is a discussion with someone else running this game with an RX 480, having the same exact issue. Still unsolved

agent031693

Honorable
Aug 5, 2015

Nevermind. Found the intel optoins. By default they were turned off, and could not be turned on while I was using a dedicated GPU. Thanks anywho

So did this fix anything?
On a new install of windows you should always give the system a few hours if not a day or two to get all it's duck in a row,it 's gonna be searching for updateable things and will update those for a while this can be pretty taxing for the system.