[SOLVED] Stupid build related questions from a simple guy on budget.

Jun 5, 2020
Alright, so, good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone and here's a stupid series of questions for everyone around.

For the past few years I've been using an i7 2600K + MSI R9 290 Twin Frozr II and an i7 3770K with a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC.

I managed to get my hands on a PNY XLR8 1080Ti a couple of days ago for dirt cheap to upgrade my stream quality, which is nice. Stress tested it, guy was an absolute "unit" and the card runs like a dream. My current i7 3770K is bottlenecking the hell out of it and I've been planning to upgrade my current rig for over a year now, the bottleneck finally pushing me over the edge towards an upgrade.

I am swinging quite widely towards Ryzen, as I will not only be using it for gaming, but effectively doing content creation and using the PC as a single rig setup for streaming and gaming at the same time. I am, however, on a slightly moderate budget (~700 USD for Motherboard, CPU and 16 Gb of RAM), so I cannot splurge my entire life savings on an RGB spaceship (bummer, really, I was considering for a second selling a kidney to get an Aorus motherboard for ~1000 USD D: ) So here are the main questions I'd like to ask you fellows:

First and foremost, I haven't extensively read up on the the tech industry lately. I know the X570 architecture AM4 mobos just dropped right now. The price difference right now between X470's and X570's isn't THAT huge, but there's still some margin. Can anyone explain to me why a guy on a budget should put out more cash for an X570 besides the argument of "future proofing". I was personally aiming at Gigabyte X570 Gaming X, since the price difference between the specific MOBO and X470's is quite minimal and on paper, the specs seem to up to par with what I'm looking for in a rig.

Secondly, my main game is Tarkov, quite infamous for being quite reliant on CPU and also memory speeds, SSD. It may be the dumbest question ever asked, but I've done some reading into this topic and I've found several conflicting answers about how Ryzens perform in the specific game, some stating it runs dirt poor and Intel is vastly superior for gaming in the specific game, others stating that it excels at things like these, as in, encoding and gaming on a single rig and that it runs just beautiful for the specific game. Nonetheless, I am gunning for a Ryzen 7 3800X or Ryzen 9 3900X, an X470 or X570 MOBO and 16 Gigs of 3200-3600Mhz ram for starters. Should I wait for Ryzen 4000 series or is it safe to assume that if and once the refresh 3000 series drops I could just gun for cheaper standard X models?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I'm not exactly 200 IQ about this. It has been a hot minute since I last extensively read up on things.

Reactions: The-One-Polish-Guy
Solution
From what a can hear, XTs are supposed to be formally announced on June 16th with sales authorized from July 7th.

3700x is about 360€ and 3800x is about 365€ and difference at first was over 50€ when they became available. Now, 3900x is half as much and 3950x twice as much, more or less.
Alright, so, good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone and here's a stupid series of questions for everyone around.

For the past few years I've been using an i7 2600K + MSI R9 290 Twin Frozr II and an i7 3770K with a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC.

I managed to get my hands on a PNY XLR8 1080Ti a couple of days ago for dirt cheap to upgrade my stream quality, which is nice. Stress tested it, guy was an absolute "unit" and the card runs like a dream. My current i7 3770K is bottlenecking the hell out of it and I've been planning to upgrade my current rig for over a year now, the bottleneck finally pushing me over the edge towards an upgrade.

I am swinging quite widely towards Ryzen, as I will not only be using it for gaming, but effectively doing content creation and using the PC as a single rig setup for streaming and gaming at the same time. I am, however, on a slightly moderate budget (~700 USD for Motherboard, CPU and 16 Gb of RAM), so I cannot splurge my entire life savings on an RGB spaceship (bummer, really, I was considering for a second selling a kidney to get an Aorus motherboard for ~1000 USD D: ) So here are the main questions I'd like to ask you fellows:

First and foremost, I haven't extensively read up on the the tech industry lately. I know the X570 architecture AM4 mobos just dropped right now. The price difference right now between X470's and X570's isn't THAT huge, but there's still some margin. Can anyone explain to me why a guy on a budget should put out more cash for an X570 besides the argument of "future proofing". I was personally aiming at Gigabyte X570 Gaming X, since the price difference between the specific MOBO and X470's is quite minimal and on paper, the specs seem to up to par with what I'm looking for in a rig.

Secondly, my main game is Tarkov, quite infamous for being quite reliant on CPU and also memory speeds, SSD. It may be the dumbest question ever asked, but I've done some reading into this topic and I've found several conflicting answers about how Ryzens perform in the specific game, some stating it runs dirt poor and Intel is vastly superior for gaming in the specific game, others stating that it excels at things like these, as in, encoding and gaming on a single rig and that it runs just beautiful for the specific game. Nonetheless, I am gunning for a Ryzen 7 3800X or Ryzen 9 3900X, an X470 or X570 MOBO and 16 Gigs of 3200-3600Mhz ram for starters. Should I wait for Ryzen 4000 series or is it safe to assume that if and once the refresh 3000 series drops I could just gun for cheaper standard X models?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I'm not exactly 200 IQ about this. It has been a hot minute since I last extensively read up on things.
Few reasons for b550/x570
PCIe v4, faster (double) speed of v3. Doesn't do much for GPU but possible to get super fast NVME SSDs.
Assured upgrade to next Ryzen (4000 series) but most 400 series chipset MB may also get BIOS upgrade.
Can't think of any more reasons to pay more.

Few reasons for b550/x570
PCIe v4, faster (double) speed of v3. Doesn't do much for GPU but possible to get super fast NVME SSDs.
Assured upgrade to next Ryzen (4000 series) but most 400 series chipset MB may also get BIOS upgrade.
Can't think of any more reasons to pay more.
Good x470 MB is quite enough for 3900x/3950x and is sure to be enough for xt Ryzen.
To wait for it is up to you, it may be delayed as far as I hear, depends on how long you are prepared to wait.

Jun 5, 2020
Good x470 MB is quite enough for 3900x/3950x and is sure to be enough for xt Ryzen.
To wait for it is up to you, it may be delayed as far as I hear, depends on how long you are prepared to wait.

Well, I'd be alright with waiting a couple of weeks. From what I've manged to gather, then 3800X is quite the beast by itself. What I haven't worked out is whether the step up from 3800X to 3900X is worth it. The difference over here between the two is 125 USD. (Eastern Europe, to be more precise) As far as X570 go, then the cheapest X470 (Msi Gaming Plus Max) over here goes for $160 and cheapest X570 (Gigabyte X570 UD) is $185.

I was thinking about going with a Gigabyte X570 Gaming X. (Been using Gigabyte mobos for years, only good experiences personally. Same goes for Asus, but those are too expensive around these parts.) Likely a 3800X and a 2x8Gb kit of 3600Mhz DDR4. Price wise we're talking roughly $750. Could be subject to changes depending on how the XT refresh CPU's affect the pricing of the original X series, if they come, that is.

I already got two SSD's for starters and a decent modular 80+ PSU to run the rig, just a matter of snagging an NVMe down the line. From what I heard, the Wraith Spire Coolers are beefy enough and I'm not exactly planning to go crazy on overclocking the CPU.

Well, I'd be alright with waiting a couple of weeks. From what I've manged to gather, then 3800X is quite the beast by itself. What I haven't worked out is whether the step up from 3800X to 3900X is worth it. The difference over here between the two is 125 USD. (Eastern Europe, to be more precise) As far as X570 go, then the cheapest X470 (Msi Gaming Plus Max) over here goes for $160 and cheapest X570 (Gigabyte X570 UD) is $185.

I was thinking about going with a Gigabyte X570 Gaming X. (Been using Gigabyte mobos for years, only good experiences personally. Same goes for Asus, but those are too expensive around these parts.) Likely a 3800X and a 2x8Gb kit of 3600Mhz DDR4. Price wise we're talking roughly $750. Could be subject to changes depending on how the XT refresh CPU's affect the pricing of the original X series, if they come, that is.

I already got two SSD's for starters and a decent modular 80+ PSU to run the rig, just a matter of snagging an NVMe down the line. From what I heard, the Wraith Spire Coolers are beefy enough and I'm not exactly planning to go crazy on overclocking the CPU.
I'm in eastern Europe too (Serbia) and I'm waiting for XT models to show up and hopefully 3900x/3950x will get cheaper. My 3700x is doing great job and I got it to change from 2700x while 3800x was not still available otherwise it would be my choice despite 50 odd Euro more.
3600MHz or more is working fine with x470 and 3rd gen Ryzen unlike x370 and 1st gen.
Samsung 960evo is also very fast, I doubt anyone would notice difference with PCIE 4 drives. I'd rather invest in larger than faster NVME SSD.
Present GPUs can't get anything more out of PCIE 4 for now and questions is when that might happen while PCIE 5 and 6 are already in works and standards are already set for the.

Jun 5, 2020
I'm in eastern Europe too (Serbia) and I'm waiting for XT models to show up and hopefully 3900x/3950x will get cheaper. My 3800x is doing great job and I got it to change from 2700x while 3800x was not still available otherwise it would be my choice despite 50 odd Euro more.
3600MHz or more is working fine with x470 and 3rd gen Ryzen unlike x370 and 1st gen.
Samsung 960evo is also very fast, I doubt anyone would notice difference with PCIE 4 drives. I'd rather invest in larger than faster NVME SSD.
Present GPUs can't get anything more out of PCIE 4 for now and questions is when that might happen while PCIE 5 and 6 are already in works and standards are already set for the.

Latvia over here, bud. Right now, a 3800X is going for 360 EUR and 3700X is going for 330 EUR. At that price difference you might as well opt for 3800X. Ryzen 5 3600X is cheap as heck at 215 EUR, but I'm afraid it may not be enough for streaming and gaming all at once. Ryzen 9 3900X is 480 EUR and 3950X is 785 EUR.

In my case, I'm aiming at 3800X. I will likely wait until start of July, perhaps mid July, see if any more news surface about the XT's. If they are similiarly priced as the 3800X, then I may opt for an XT. Otherwise I'll just try to grab an X on discounts.

At that point the main question would be whether to handle the encoding with software or hardware via nvenc. I have heard that software encoding looks better to the eye while eating away less bandwidth, but for a CPU to handle that whilst also running a CPU intensive game... that may be too much to ask. Who knows? That might be too far besides this topic.

Last edited:
From what a can hear, XTs are supposed to be formally announced on June 16th with sales authorized from July 7th.

3700x is about 360€ and 3800x is about 365€ and difference at first was over 50€ when they became available. Now, 3900x is half as much and 3950x twice as much, more or less.

Reactions: xGodLyri
Solution