[SOLVED] Stupid storage question

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Hello there! I have OCD wich makes me very picky about a lot of stuff. One is if i I lose storage lol. I was just looking in my files and noticed I just lost 1Gb. It was at 893GB free of 930Gb then it went to 892GB free of 930GB. This may seem very stupid to ask but I already said it at the very top.... will this cause any perdormance decrease. While I was typing this I lost another GB lol.

I really apologize if this is a dumb question not worth asking but Im really just curious.

Best Regards,

Nonkii

Solution
Alright, thanks! How do I open the Temp files? %temp%??.

Also, I got an external ssd. If I lose a lot of storage on my hard drive will the "bad" performance pass on to the ssd or does it stay in the hard drive? My external ssd is almost full. I have like 39GB left out of 120. I am thinking of buying a bigger ssd like a 500gb. I have bought too much stuff for my pc tho lol ( cpu, ram, usb adapter, keyboard). I'll wait like next month for that.

Thanks!
If you continually empty the temp folder, you will actually slow down your browsing performance.
Files from the web that are often used can end up in there.

See the pic below my post, of the truck and the missile?
Let's assume that ends up in your temp folder.
The system only...
Hello there! I have OCD wich makes me very picky about a lot of stuff. One is if i I lose storage lol. I was just looking in my files and noticed I just lost 1Gb. It was at 893GB free of 930Gb then it went to 892GB free of 930GB. This may seem very stupid to ask but I already said it at the very top.... will this cause any perdormance decrease. While I was typing this I lost another GB lol.

I really apologize if this is a dumb question not worth asking but Im really just curious.

Best Regards,

Nonkii
You haven't lost it, something wrote something on the disk. That will not cause loss of performance but you would be wise to run malware checks.

Reactions: Nonkii

Ralston18

Titan
And, in addition to the suggested malware check, take a look at what all is running in the background.

Could be a backup of some sort, maybe even an update. Or just a buggy, corrupted app.

What OS are you running?

Check Reliability History, and/or Event Viewer. One or both may have made note of what wrote 1 GB to the drive and is continuing to do so.

Watch Task Manager and Resource Monitor - likely that you will be able to discover what is doing the writing.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
You haven't lost it, something wrote something on the disk. That will not cause loss of performance but you would be wise to run malware checks.
I am 99.99% sure its not malware. I had run a malware like 2 hours before that happened. All I was doing was on Google Chrome using twitter, youtube, and discord in the browser. I cant remember at the top of my head when it happened. Like I said, I apologize for the dumb question lol. When should I worry about it?

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Temp files.

Solution? Don't analyze and obsess over the drive space that closely.

Also, I got an external ssd. If I lose a lot of storage on my hard drive will the "bad" performance pass on to the ssd or does it stay in the hard drive? My external ssd is almost full. I have like 39GB left out of 120. I am thinking of buying a bigger ssd like a 500gb. I have bought too much stuff for my pc tho lol ( cpu, ram, usb adapter, keyboard). I'll wait like next month for that.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Just use disk cleanup and make sure Temporary files is checked.

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks!
If you continually empty the temp folder, you will actually slow down your browsing performance.

The system only has to retrieve that pic directly from the hard drive.
Otherwise, it would have to go, again, out to the web and download it. Slowing down the rendering of this page.
Access from your internal drive is much much faster than getting it again and again from the intertubes.

Same goes for all the little icons you see.

Solution

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

The system only has to retrieve that pic directly from the hard drive.
Otherwise, it would have to go, again, out to the web and download it. Slowing down the rendering of this page.
Access from your internal drive is much much faster than getting it again and again from the intertubes.

Same goes for all the little icons you see.
Ouch! I pretty much clear it every day.

Ralston18

Titan
Event Viewer is cumbersome so set that aside....

I agree with the other posts. If the disk's free space ranges back and forth around some value - I would not worry about that.

However, if you are seeing a continual steady consumption of drive space then you need to discover what is running and writing to the drive.

What OS are you running?

Try Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Open one or the other and just watch. You should be able to spot whatever is running and writing to the drive.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Event Viewer is cumbersome so set that aside....

I agree with the other posts. If the disk's free space ranges back and forth around some value - I would not worry about that.

However, if you are seeing a continual steady consumption of drive space then you need to discover what is running and writing to the drive.

What OS are you running?

Try Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Open one or the other and just watch. You should be able to spot whatever is running and writing to the drive.
Ok. Im running Win 10 1903. Thank you!
"Solution? Don't analyze and obsess over the drive space that closely. "
I really should stop worrying haha.