Question Stutter Frames while Gaming on $2K PC

Dec 20, 2018
Hello,

While gaming, specifically PUBG being my main game, I experience pretty severe stutter frames throughout my matches to the point where it affects my gameplay and gets me killed. It seems to happen most in early game or when enemies spot/ shoot at me, or just in general when anything happens. However, it even happens when I'm just running from place to place or look in a new direction quickly. I make sure all background apps are closed, have turned on X.M.P. mode for my RAM, and tried a 3rd party program that clears the Cache every 5 minutes. Also my internet is 150Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

I've brought my PC in for Diagnosis and each individual hardware component was stress tested and runs perfectly, so I would love a second opinion.. Perhaps some of you have experienced the same thing or something similar.. I would love to at least try to narrow it down to this being software, hardware, or connection related!

SPECS:
CPU --> AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core 3.70 GHz
GPU --> Aorus GTX 1080ti 11GB
Motherboard --> X470 Aorus Gaming 5 Wifi
RAM --> 32GB DDR4 G.Skill Aegis 3000MHz
SSD --> Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Let me know if any other information would be of value. Thanks in advance.

Anything OC'ed? If so, set everything to stock (apart from XMP on the mem!) and try again. Then try with XMP off. Worth updating all drivers. GPU, System drivers, Lan etc and update the bios too.

After updating the bios, do a CMOS reset to clear it.

Also, what PSU do you have?

Your system should be easily able to handle that game at high settings/fps/hz. Of course in game you will experience some FPS drops, but shouldn't be so sever.

You can try testing your mem with memtest86+. Load it from a USB and test your ram for a min of 4 passes (at XMP). If it fails then test it on Stock.

Finally, run an instance of HWMon/Info, and let your system idle. Take a screenshot of HWMon and post it. Then load up a game, and alt-tab out of the game and take another screenshot of HWMon so we can see your system at load. It will show us a lot of HW metrics on the fly. Will help diagnose.

Dec 20, 2018
Thanks for the ideas.

Nothing is OC'd I've never been one to try and mess around with that. memtest86 ran fine, no errors. Just got fresh RAM actually bought less than a month ago cause I thought that might have been the cluprit.

I updated my BIOS, chipset, and NVIDIA drivers. My PC didn't seem to enjoy the BIOS update for whatever reason, it wouldn't boot for the first few tries, now it does but I've experienced 2 Blue Screens just today, one while gaming and another just watching YouTube.

My PSU is the Corsair TX850 and is the oldest hardware unit in my rig, other than my case. Everything else has been upgraded.

As for Hardware Monitor stats I posted a few pictures in the link below, one at idle, one under stress while in-game, and one after a game crash (It is always the GPU in Task Manager that spikes when I get stutter frames or the game crashes). These are all pre-BIOS update.

View: https://imgur.com/a/LCW6gSa

Dec 20, 2018
Use a FPS limiter and lower you max/avg FPS by a little bit.
A lot of times if a GPU runs one task at full tilt it takes a while to switch to something else,if it runs it a bit slower it's much faster at switching.
PUBG has an in-game limiter so I set that to 120fps, but even then I feel like that shouldn't be something you need to worry about with a 1080ti.

Either way, with all of the troubleshooting I have done, this is beginning to feel like a software compatibility issue, or perhaps something to do with my PSU.

Even while not in-game I've been experiencing not just game crashes but PC crashes fairly consistently recently which is concerning! Might try a new PSU for a bit to test this and return it if it doesn't help.