Question Stutter/freezing only whilst playing 1 game

May 2, 2020
Hi

I have been having an issue when I am playing Modern Warfare Warzone specifically. Every game i will randomly freeze for 5-8 seconds then it will return back to normal.

Here is what i have already tried from researching the issue online -

Updated windows
uninstalled and reinstalled latest GPU drivers
set in-game graphics to medium and even low
enabled and disabled v-sync
Fullscreen mode and Windowed fullscreen mode

I also noticed the game was using 100% of my CPU whilst running. I capped it at 80% still same problem
I have friends with similar spec PCs as mine that have no issues and its only on COD modern warfare it seems to happen I play all other games on even max settings without issues.

Am i missing something based off the troubleshooting i have already done?

One last thing at the time of the freezes both my latency and packet loss increase significantly at the same time of my FPS dropping to below 10, would this suggest its lag rather than GPU issue? I have a very good internet wired connection and like i said it doesnt happen on any other game

GPU - GTX 1060 6gb
CPU I5-8400

Thanks

I only have 8gb (2x4gb) RAM, could this be the issue? I just assumed 8gb RAM would be enough to run current games
I’ve never tried this game on a system with 8gb, only 16 or 32. However the minimum requirements are 8gb and minimum requirements often give just passable performance. These days 2x8gb is recommended for a gaming system.

However when you are next playing monitor your HDD/SSD usage. If it’s at >95% most of the time then the system is caching to the drive as it doesn’t have enough RAM. This seriously impacts games.

Reactions: Nokesy30
May 2, 2020
I’ve never tried this game on a system with 8gb, only 16 or 32. However the minimum requirements are 8gb and minimum requirements often give just passable performance. These days 2x8gb is recommended for a gaming system.

However when you are next playing monitor your HDD/SSD usage. If it’s at >95% most of the time then the system is caching to the drive as it doesn’t have enough RAM. This seriously impacts games.

Thanks I will keep an eye on that, is there a difference between 4x4gb and 2x8gb RAM? im just thinking it would make sense from a cost perspective to just buy an extra two 4gb

Thanks for the help

May 2, 2020
That is still mixing RAM. The chances of a problem are likely lower but there is still a risk of issues. Did you check your hdd/ssd usage when in game?

My disc drive is at 99% at all times during the game

EDIT - it settled after 5 minutes and started fluctuating between 5 and 50%
Memory however is above 90% constantly

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
I have the same problem and I did try everything and nothing worked
my specs are

i7 9700 k
msi z390 godlike motherboard
64 gb ram hyperx predator
m.2 480gd a1000 Kingston
3 hyper x ssd 1 tb
2 zotag rtx 2080 double fan

so basically I have a kick ass pc and still have the prob

May 2, 2020
I have the same problem and I did try everything and nothing worked
my specs are

i7 9700 k
msi z390 godlike motherboard
64 gb ram hyperx predator
m.2 480gd a1000 Kingston
3 hyper x ssd 1 tb
2 zotag rtx 2080 double fan

so basically I have a kick ass pc and still have the prob

I found a fix that has 100% got rid of the stuttering.
Turn off shader cache in Nvidia control panel
Delete everything in the folder C:\programdata\Nvidia Corporation\NV Cache
Delete the ‘player’ document in C:\users\username\Documents\call of duty modern warfare
Start the game and let it reinstall shaders

Boom your done, this will solve the issue

proballer25

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Im curently having this exact issue. but mine came about after installing windows 20h2. Warzone will freeze for about 5-10 secounds then when it comes back alive iv been warped to another location. Does this 4-5 times per match. I will try this tip out and see if it solves my issue.