Question Stuttering and Rubberbanding in games ?

lachon3

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
Having this very strange stuttering/rubberbanding in online games, particularly when my characters is touching mobs or touching walls.
Happens in some way in every game i play but here are some examples from League of legends and Path of exile.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO3utx8TeVA

As you can see either my character or mobs will stutter/rubber band.
In League its mainly when i touch creeps, but some interactions with walls/other champions also cause it.
In PoE its from rubbing against walls, walking over certain terrain, touching a pack of mobs.
These are just a few clips i captured but it happens all the time consistently.

Heres the strange part, this happens on my 7 year old pc and my brand new pc (6700k / 1060, 13700k / 4070)
So immediately you would think its my internet/isp, but i get 20-40ms consistently in all games and speed tests/packet loss tests come back fine.
And if it was my internet/isp i would see it all the time randomly not only during specific actions as in the touching mobs/walls.

This has been going on for months and i have tried everything i could find on google.
Like all the usual stuff, different network card, drivers, re-installations, updates, IPV-4/6 stuff, different peripherals, etc.
Only thing left for me to do is change ISP's.
So please guys if anyone knows anything that could help i would greatly appreciate it or RIP to my ISP and i go swap.

Why do you think this is a network issue and not some issue with the video settings that is causing some kind of gpu or cpu usage spike.

Poe is a bad example they put so much crap on the screen that it can cause my machine with a 4090 and 13700k to stutter.

Poe has a built in tool to measure the delays and whats causing them. I think it is f1 or f2 key that brings up the overlay. If they do have a network issue you will see the latency thing change. You might have to wait a bit to test this, they have a new league starting soon and the servers tend to have all kinds of strange issue until the load balances out.

It is then the standard testing method.

First if you are running on wifi that is likely your issue.

Open CMD windows and run constant ping commands. I would start with one to your router IP and a second one to a common IP like 8.8.8.8. When you see issues in the game quickly switch over and check these windows. What you are looking for is packet loss or very large ...like over 100ms ..increase in the latency.

Depending on what you see you can investigate farther. It is very rare to have issues to the router when you use ethernet. If you also see no issues to 8.8.8.8 (google dns server) then your internet is basically fine. You can try to test to the game company servers but many of those are rig to not respond to ping....stupid children use ping to denial of service attack server when they lose in some shooter type games.

lachon3

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
It is then the standard testing method.

My new pc is on ethernet, old pc is on wifi.
Did a constant ping from my new pc to 8.8.8.8 for 1000ish pings and 2 were right around 100ms and 1 was lost, average was 16ms.
And i dont get how minions literally warping around my character would be a pc issue but would love to hear any suggestions on the pc end if you think the ping results were good enough.
Nevermind im reading even 1 lost packet is bad, so is there anything you could suggest?

Last edited:
1 lost packet might cause 1 tiny stutter. You generally will not even notice just 1 loss. Many times you get 1 lost packet when your first start the ping command. Generally you need to start getting close to losing 1% of the packets to have it really affect you.

Was the lost packet at the exact time you switched from the game. A packet loss say 10 seconds before is not going to be the cause of stutter. Pretty much you will see the loss on the screen at the same time. If you have multiple monitors you can see the lost packet and the stutter happen at the same time.

Now this is not 100% true since the 8.8.8.8 server is a duplicated IP located in a city very close to you and the game servers are likely in a different city. What is the same though is your equipment and the connection between the house and the ISP. If there is a issue in these both will lose packets. Other data loss could be say the server, even google DNS get some loss here and there. You can't fix anything far outside your house so if it is not your router or the connection going to your house it is not likely you are going to get this fixed.

Since you play poe I would use their ingame frame time display. It will show you to a point where the delay is. You can see the gpu and cpu usage as well as the network delay if it is a actual network issue. You have about 12hrs from this post time to test. It should be very quite on their servers but when the new league goes live you will see the fairly standard disconnect issues because of overloaded servers. You likely should wait a day or so.

lachon3

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
1 lost packet might cause 1 tiny stutter.
Yea i get way more than 1 tiny stutter, its every few seconds when i hit some rough terrain or come close to a mob/wall in PoE. I do play with the F1 display and it doesnt show any kind of spikes. Well then if your suggesting its my pc then like i crossed out above, how can mobs be warping around me or my character rubber banding around in league be a pc issue? like i dont mind if it is and i would love to hear any suggestions but that kind of lag in my experience in the past has always meant internet lag.

Appreciate your time btw tyty.

Also i did a lengthier ping test with 4000 pings and had 17 lost. But still like i said i get way more frequent stuttering then that.

If you get very poor frame rates it look very much the same as if you have a network issue. In one case there is no data to display coming from the game server so the game guess. In the other the data is actually there but it is not being displayed because not enough frames are being sent out of the computer to the monitor. In the second case you are in effect losing frame "packets" rather than data from the server.
In a lot of cases it is what they call 1% lows on the video frames. Just like a ping command a very small number of packet loss does not affect the average data rate but causes a lot if issues in the game. The similar spikes in the frame rates do not affect the average fps much but you can see them.

This is why you need to actually test things so you do not spend lots of time troubleshooting the wrong thing.

lachon3

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2012
If you get very poor frame rates it look very much the same as if you have a network issue.
But check the video i posted, in the league clips at the top right is my frame rate/ping, i have a steady capped 200fps, doesnt drop at all from that, and i get a massive rubber band.

But i do agree it does seem to be some kind of frame packet loss thats not reflected in the actual frame rate.. but wtf could be causing that? never even heard of such a thing before lol

Last edited: