Question Stuttering because low gpu usage (gpu drops)

Apr 8, 2019
Hello,

I have experienced random stuttering in Apex Legends, Cod ww2 and in Blackops 4, because my gpu usage drops while gaming. Stuttering can happen every 10 seconds or then once in a minute or then they dont even occur. I have monitored it with msi afterburner. Cpu usage is not even close to 100% and none of the threads dont sit at 100% but they can spike very fast to 100% while cpu usage still sits for example at 20%. I play those games everything maxed 1080p. Here is few photos of my msiafterburner:

r2ym5ch0twq21.jpg

cf3isduvswq21.jpg

uf3fkb7qdwq21.jpg

My computer is Acer Aspire gx 281 and my current specs:
  • Gpu GTX 1070 8GB
  • CPU Ryzen 1700x
  • Games installed on HDD tried also SDD.
  • PSU liteon model Ps-7501-5 (500w, 80 plus bronze)
  • motherboard is b350 but dont know the manufacturer
  • Ram 8GB x 2 and 2400 Mhz
  • Internet 4g 150mb/s (usually between 5-100 mb/s)
What I have tried and checked:
  • closed all unnecessary programs and apps.
  • disabled windows game mode
  • trying different powermodes on windows
  • tested in latencymon everything ok
  • set priority high
  • checked that no memory leaks
  • underclocked to 3ghz, overlocked to 3.9 ghz, almost no difference
  • Temps on CPU and GPU are ok (cpu less than 60C and gpu sits normally at 82C)
  • lowering graphics in game may have positive impact, but it dont fix every stutters
Any helps or tips are welcome! I think for myself, that the problem may be PSU but i dont know.

Last edited:
First gen Ryzens had noticeable FPS drops. It exacerbates the problem when you use low frequency RAM because Ryzen's Infinity Fabric core interconnects are tied to RAM speed. I'm not saying 3200 speed RAM will completely eliminate the problem, but it's a step in the right direction.

AMD are very aware of this issue, which DOES cause latency problems. There are unconfirmed reports of their completely redesigning the upcoming 3000 series CPUs to use "chiplets" and direct connect memory via memory controllers in the chip. We will have to wait to know for sure if that includes consumer desktop chips, or just server grade ones, but that is exactly the kind of thing Ryzen needs to avoid the memory latency issues it currently has.

The 3000 series btw is said to be compatible with AM4, all it should take is a BIOS update. According to rumors, the 3000 series is supposed to launch in 2019, possibly July.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-everything-you-need-to-know/

Here's an interesting Tom's article showing the drastic difference between first gen Ryzen core to core latency, vs Intel's, and by how much using faster RAM lowers the latency.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-cpu-review,5014-2.html

Note what they said too about testing this kind of latency, let alone getting accurate results. Which is why you probably didn't see it with latencymon.

"Accurately measuring bus latency is tricky. Fortunately, SiSoftware recently introduced its Sandra Business Platinum version that includes a novel Processor Multi-Core Efficiency test. It's able to measure inter-core, inter-module, and inter-package latency in a number of different configurations using Multi-Threaded, Multi-Core Only, and Single-Threaded tests. We use the Multi-Threaded metric with the "best pair match" setting (lowest latency) for our purposes."

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
First gen Ryzens had noticeable FPS drops. It exacerbates the problem when you use low frequency RAM because Ryzen's Infinity Fabric core interconnects are tied to RAM speed. I'm not saying 3200 speed RAM will completely eliminate the problem, but it's a step in the right direction.

AMD are very aware of this issue, which DOES cause latency problems. There are unconfirmed reports of their completely redesigning the upcoming 3000 series CPUs to use "chiplets" and direct connect memory via memory controllers in the chip. We will have to wait to know for sure if that includes consumer desktop chips, or just server grade ones, but that is exactly the kind of thing Ryzen needs to avoid the memory latency issues it currently has.

The 3000 series btw is said to be compatible with AM4, all it should take is a BIOS update. According to rumors, the 3000 series is supposed to launch in 2019, possibly July.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-everything-you-need-to-know/

Here's an interesting Tom's article showing the drastic difference between first gen Ryzen core to core latency, vs Intel's, and by how much using faster RAM lowers the latency.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-cpu-review,5014-2.html

Note what they said too about testing this kind of latency, let alone getting accurate results. Which is why you probably didn't see it with latencymon.

"Accurately measuring bus latency is tricky. Fortunately, SiSoftware recently introduced its Sandra Business Platinum version that includes a novel Processor Multi-Core Efficiency test. It's able to measure inter-core, inter-module, and inter-package latency in a number of different configurations using Multi-Threaded, Multi-Core Only, and Single-Threaded tests. We use the Multi-Threaded metric with the "best pair match" setting (lowest latency) for our purposes."
Thanks for good info! I checked the charts and 2666 vs 3200 were only 4 % difference in latency. So hard to know what it would be if there were 2400 and 3200 but seems that in my case bying new mobo and faster ram is a waste of money for only apprx. 10 % better latency values? Is there any possibility that PSU can do this stuttering? Any solutions to install new bios cause this one is locked to 2400mhz and Im not so familiar with computers?

Hard to say if the PSU has anything to do with it, but my guess is if it has the 26 amps total system power a 1070 needs, it's not likely the problem. The kind of thing you're describing is a common scenario with Ryzen, especially first gen, and even more so with low frequency RAM.

The article I posted wasn't just a heads up on Ryzen needing faster RAM though, it was to show how much higher latency the core to core is than Intel. You're going to get far more latency than Intel regardless of faster RAM, which is why many are excited about Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 series.

I would not advise preordering though. if you want one make SURE you wait until they divulge whether the Infinity Fabric problem has been fixed. In fact with new architecture it's always best to wait for a fair amount of customer feedback and pro testing site results.

The latter is often better regarding Ryzen, as there are many Ryzen converts whom are not completely translucent about their experiences with them.

Apr 8, 2019
Hard to say if the PSU has anything to do with it, but my guess is if it has the 26 amps total system power a 1070 needs, it's not likely the problem. The kind of thing you're describing is a common scenario with Ryzen, especially first gen, and even more so with low frequency RAM.

The article I posted wasn't just a heads up on Ryzen needing faster RAM though, it was to show how much higher latency the core to core is than Intel. You're going to get far more latency than Intel regardless of faster RAM, which is why many are excited about Zen 2 Ryzen 3000 series.

I would not advise preordering though. if you want one make SURE you wait until they divulge whether the Infinity Fabric problem has been fixed. In fact with new architecture it's always best to wait for a fair amount of customer feedback and pro testing site results.

The latter is often better regarding Ryzen, as there are many Ryzen converts whom are not completely translucent about their experiences with them.
I have analyzed those stutters a little bit more in Apex Legends. The stuttering if it happens it would start in the beginning but it will stop after playing few minutes. This happens atleast 90% of time and i just tested it and figured it out. Same at Blackops 4 and in blackout mode. The first match is critical and second or third will be stutter free almost every single time when i play those games and its not server issue. Server lag doesnt seem to show in min fps so it's not that. So thats because of slow ram or what? Need to be sure because new mobo, maybe even win 10 and dual rams are very expensive and a lot of work for novice but i really want smooth performance.

Last edited:
If a game plays a lot smoother anywhere from 1-2 min or more after first launching it, it's often a problem with an older game engine being used. Outdated game engines can often be slow to load game assets, which is why they struggle more right after launching a game because that's when all the game world textures are being loaded.

Ubisoft games often have this problem, especially Ghost Recon Wildlands with it's very large and detailed open world. When I bought a super fast NVMe drive recently the game went from taking 30 sec for the full screen map to go from blurry to detailed, to loading clear right away. I also don't have vehicle engine and car door sounds not playing until driving a ways like I used to. Once in a while I'll see a small hitch or two within a minute or so after launching the game, but a quick fast travel to the safehouse I'm already at usually fixes it.

A lot of game developers these days are getting very lazy at quality control issues, often times it's that their publishers won't pay for needed software upgrades though. They put profit above polish, and are more likely to rush out overpriced, cosmetic micro transaction addons than fix their games. Many claim they get very smooth performance by using components that are well above the game's hardware requirements, but it's an expensive solution and even then, not always a guarantee of smooth performance. Some games will yield high frame rates but not smooth performance, due to things like outdated engines like I said.

Just checked and sure enough Apex Legends uses the old Source Engine, which everyone knows should have been updated years ago. That said, it's just a cell shaded game so it doesn't have high end graphics. Being a popular free to play game though, it has TONS of players, so make sure what you are experiencing is not server overload (look for less populated servers) or a ping problem. Extremely high pings can cause various kinds of lag and stutter. The farther away the server you play on (especially other countries) usually the higher the ping is.

Respawn made the game, and also Titanfall, which is very well optimized and runs pretty smoothly. I've only played Titanfall 2 sp offline though, so I can't speak for the mp. EA owns Respawn though, and EA are one of the publishers most known to care more about profit than support. They're even known as the "Place where good dev teams go to die", like Visceral Games, whom made the fantastic Dead Space series".

Test your ISP download, ping, jitter, and packet loss, then check the ping in game to see how it compares.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
ISP Download speed 150 mb/s, upload 30mb/s and latency 24 ms. In game ping is 59 and packet loss is zero. I have mobilenetwork, so it varies a lot. Min is something like 5 mb/s and upload also 5 mb/s. I got good router and erhernet connection from router to pc.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
If a game plays a lot smoother anywhere from 1-2 min or more after first launching it, it's often a problem with an older game engine being used. Outdated game engines can often be slow to load game assets, which is why they struggle more right after launching a game because that's when all the game world textures are being loaded.

Ubisoft games often have this problem, especially Ghost Recon Wildlands with it's very large and detailed open world. When I bought a super fast NVMe drive recently the game went from taking 30 sec for the full screen map to go from blurry to detailed, to loading clear right away. I also don't have vehicle engine and car door sounds not playing until driving a ways like I used to. Once in a while I'll see a small hitch or two within a minute or so after launching the game, but a quick fast travel to the safehouse I'm already at usually fixes it.

A lot of game developers these days are getting very lazy at quality control issues, often times it's that their publishers won't pay for needed software upgrades though. They put profit above polish, and are more likely to rush out overpriced, cosmetic micro transaction addons than fix their games. Many claim they get very smooth performance by using components that are well above the game's hardware requirements, but it's an expensive solution and even then, not always a guarantee of smooth performance. Some games will yield high frame rates but not smooth performance, due to things like outdated engines like I said.

Just checked and sure enough Apex Legends uses the old Source Engine, which everyone knows should have been updated years ago. That said, it's just a cell shaded game so it doesn't have high end graphics. Being a popular free to play game though, it has TONS of players, so make sure what you are experiencing is not server overload (look for less populated servers) or a ping problem. Extremely high pings can cause various kinds of lag and stutter. The farther away the server you play on (especially other countries) usually the higher the ping is.

Respawn made the game, and also Titanfall, which is very well optimized and runs pretty smoothly. I've only played Titanfall 2 sp offline though, so I can't speak for the mp. EA owns Respawn though, and EA are one of the publishers most known to care more about profit than support. They're even known as the "Place where good dev teams go to die", like Visceral Games, whom made the fantastic Dead Space series".

Test your ISP download, ping, jitter, and packet loss, then check the ping in game to see how it compares.
I just watched youtube videos of ram speeds on ryzen 1st generation and what I understood was that with mid end GPU´s (GTX 1070) the ram speed is not that important. Performance gain was neglible, only 4-8 % to min 0,1 fps. So my conclusion is that CPU isn´t causing those huge fps drops in the beginning of the game (first 5 - 20 minutes). I think that those frametime/fps drops to 1-10 fps (min 0,1 % fps ) are caused by something else because overclocking from 2.8 ghz to 3.9 ghz don´t affect at all on those lagspikes. Almost feels like its running better at 2.8 ghz in apex.. Any ideas what to try or upgrade?

I just watched youtube videos of ram speeds on ryzen 1st generation and what I understood was that with mid end GPU´s (GTX 1070) the ram speed is not that important. Performance gain was neglible, only 4-8 % to min 0,1 fps. So my conclusion is that CPU isn´t causing those huge fps drops in the beginning of the game (first 5 - 20 minutes). I think that those frametime/fps drops to 1-10 fps (min 0,1 % fps ) are caused by something else because overclocking from 2.8 ghz to 3.9 ghz don´t affect at all on those lagspikes. Almost feels like its running better at 2.8 ghz in apex.. Any ideas what to try or upgrade?
The gains from faster RAM like I said are only part of the solution, and it varies from game to game. Not all games have the same frequency of draw calls, and draw calls in some games involve a massive amount of calculations compared to others.

It sounds like you're talking yourself into believing the memory latency is a non issue, which as I stated before, many Ryzen owners fall prey too. If you want proof that Ryzen consistently has more frame drops than Intel, start looking at side by side real time YT benches that simultaneously show an Intel and Ryzen CPU playing the exact same part of a game. Most benches put up on YT can't be trusted, but the ones that show real time comparisons are much more likely to be accurate.

Another way to look at it is what is the main difference in design between the latest Intel and AMD CPUs? That's right, it's the Ryzen core interconnects being tied to RAM speed. The steps needed to store rendering data in RAM, to then be sent to the GPU, require lightning fast calculations to keep up with today's fast GPUs. You don't get that with core to core latency that's several times higher than Intel.

This is why AMD are redesigning Ryzen with Zen 2 architecture by putting memory controllers right in the chip. It's like this, you can trust random YT AMD owners whom put up benches that likely lean toward best scenario games, or get your info from tech sites or responsible, YTers whom are not biased in the way they bench games (you have to look hard for them on YT). Ryzen is quite a step up from Bulldozer, hell, anything would be, but it's far from having architecture yet that gives today's GPUs the rendering data delivery speed they need.

I think I've already indirectly told you what your system needs. I know it's hard to take for those whom thought they could build cheap, but often times you end up paying more that way via rebuilding.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
The gains from faster RAM like I said are only part of the solution, and it varies from game to game. Not all games have the same frequency of draw calls, and draw calls in some games involve a massive amount of calculations compared to others.

It sounds like you're talking yourself into believing the memory latency is a non issue, which as I stated before, many Ryzen owners fall prey too. If you want proof that Ryzen consistently has more frame drops than Intel, start looking at side by side real time YT benches that simultaneously show an Intel and Ryzen CPU playing the exact same part of a game. Most benches put up on YT can't be trusted, but the ones that show real time comparisons are much more likely to be accurate.

Another way to look at it is what is the main difference in design between the latest Intel and AMD CPUs? That's right, it's the Ryzen core interconnects being tied to RAM speed. The steps needed to store rendering data in RAM, to then be sent to the GPU, require lightning fast calculations to keep up with today's fast GPUs. You don't get that with core to core latency that's several times higher than Intel.

This is why AMD are redesigning Ryzen with Zen 2 architecture by putting memory controllers right in the chip. It's like this, you can trust random YT AMD owners whom put up benches that likely lean toward best scenario games, or get your info from tech sites or responsible, YTers whom are not biased in the way they bench games (you have to look hard for them on YT). Ryzen is quite a step up from Bulldozer, hell, anything would be, but it's far from having architecture yet that gives today's GPUs the rendering data delivery speed they need.

I think I've already indirectly told you what your system needs. I know it's hard to take for those whom thought they could build cheap, but often times you end up paying more that way via rebuilding.
Okay i now agree that the problem is my cpu. Watched many benchmarks videos of Apex and every ryzen had those frametime spikes. What was interesting was that also Intel 8400 chip has also frametime spikes. Its single core speed is roughly 15 % faster and it´s not suffering bad core to core latency. So I think only solution is to buy 400-500 € CPU or wait updates from respawn.. Or is Intel 8400 also suffering bad latencies? What cpu would be good for handling these BR games?

Like I said, and showed, Intel has MUCH lower latency. Mainly because their core interconnects are not tied to RAM speed.

I would honestly wait until the Ryzen 3000 series launches, perhaps in July. Then you'll know if it solves the latency problem. There should be more site benches testing it's latency.

You don't want to replace the MB unless you have to, and if the 3000 series solves the memory latency issue, you shouldn't even have to worry about the RAM either.

Apr 8, 2019
Like I said, and showed, Intel has MUCH lower latency. Mainly because their core interconnects are not tied to RAM speed.

I would honestly wait until the Ryzen 3000 series launches, perhaps in July. Then you'll know if it solves the latency problem. There should be more site benches testing it's latency.

You don't want to replace the MB unless you have to, and if the 3000 series solves the memory latency issue, you shouldn't even have to worry about the RAM either.
Updating a little bit. I used nvidia adaptive vsync and stuttering is almost gone. One microstutter can come in a match. I have tested 5 matches now and always restarted the game before new match. Im so confused now.. my monitor refreshrate is 75 fps. how is that possible and should I now get G sync monitor to eliminate stutters? I think that those few stutters come when my in game fps dips fastly under 75 fps. At least i can see that when the microstutter occurs, msi shows that fps is 60+ and quickly after that goes to 75 but frametime spikes in graphs which why I see microstutter. The game runs 80 % better with adaptive v sync. One microstutter in 10 minutes would not disturb me but i want g sync cause hate that input lag.

My bios is hard locked by Acer so i think that i will need mobo if i would buy new 3 gen ryzen.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
I may have found a solution.. Standby ram was almost 7 GB when playing Apex Legends. There was only 1.0 GB storage left when I checked it. So I downloaded this https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/intelligent-standby-list-cleaner-v1000-released and have now played 2 hrs row and not even single frametime spike! I even recorded the session with shadowplay and keep discord connection to my friend and still no stutters. I will inform here if it was a completely fix for my stutters in Apex Legends. Is it normal that standby memory was almost 8 GB or am I just imagening that it was too high? Anyway it seems to work. I almost forgot. Im using Windows 10, version 1809.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
Yes now im confirmed with fix and the problem is 100% standby ram. Without intelligent standby list cleaner i got framespikes/stutters. Case is solved for apex legends and im pretty sure that this is Windows problem.

...im pretty sure that this is Windows problem.
Not necessarily, I've tried EmptyStandbyList before and it did nothing for me. I suggest you run DISM.exe followed by sfc /scannow to check for system file corruption.

Follow this guide to the letter, especially the line you paste into CMD when running DISM.exe. It refreshes the system image to a healthy one, which is the only way sfc /scannow can work properly.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Standby List Cleaners all pretty much work the same way. What I'm saying is it may have done something Windows could have done on it's own, but perhaps couldn't due to system file corruption.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
Not necessarily, I've tried EmptyStandbyList before and it did nothing for me. I suggest you run DISM.exe followed by sfc /scannow to check for system file corruption.

Follow this guide to the letter, especially the line you paste into CMD when running DISM.exe. It refreshes the system image to a healthy one, which is the only way sfc /scannow can work properly.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Standby List Cleaners all pretty much work the same way. What I'm saying is it may have done something Windows could have done on it's own, but perhaps couldn't due to system file corruption.
Thanks for help again! It found corrupt files, but first apex match and stuttering remains. Well luckily ISLC is easy to use and fixes it.. Bad windows...

Offtopic. I overclocked my ram to 2933 mhz and timings are: 16, 17, 17 and 17. Is it good? Did not saw any performance gains atleast in apex and arma 3 thats why wondering.

Last edited:
Thanks for help again! It found corrupt files, but first apex match and stuttering remains. Well luckily ISLC is easy to use and fixes it.. Bad windows...

Offtopic. I overclocked my ram to 2933 mhz and timings are: 16, 17, 17 and 17. Is it good? Did not saw any performance gains atleast in apex and arma 3 thats why wondering.
If it were Windows, everyone playing the game would be complaining of this problem. I think instead it's that the combination of your low frequency 2400 RAM is working overtime trying to keep up with the stress your CPU's Infinity Fabric puts on it, resulting in not being able to store and refresh itself of the calculated rendering data fast enough.

To put it more simply, I've seen a lot of people on Ryzens complain of and show frame drops in their game benches, but not many playing mere cell shaded games complaining Windows is causing it. It gets back to that Ryzen denial many fall prey to. If that's not enough, AMD adding memory controllers to Ryzen 3000 should make it obvious.

As far as the RAM OC, if you were still running ISLC, that may be why there's no difference.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
If it were Windows, everyone playing the game would be complaining of this problem. I think instead it's that the combination of your low frequency 2400 RAM is working overtime trying to keep up with the stress your CPU's Infinity Fabric puts on it, resulting in not being able to store and refresh itself of the calculated rendering data fast enough.

To put it more simply, I've seen a lot of people on Ryzens complain of and show frame drops in their game benches, but not many playing mere cell shaded games complaining Windows is causing it. It gets back to that Ryzen denial many fall prey to. If that's not enough, AMD adding memory controllers to Ryzen 3000 should make it obvious.

As far as the RAM OC, if you were still running ISLC, that may be why there's no difference.
I have tried with oc ram without ISLC and nothing changed compared to 2400 mhz ram speed. Maybe the memory leak is in apex? Dont know but only sure thing is that ISCL fixed the stuttering.

I have tried with oc ram without ISLC and nothing changed compared to 2400 mhz ram speed. Maybe the memory leak is in apex? Dont know but only sure thing is that ISCL fixed the stuttering.
That still doesn't prove Windows is at fault, as we all know Windows games even with far more advanced graphics can and do run without stutter.

It very well could be at least partly due to poor optimization of the game, but that is not typical of these devs, whom also made CoD when they were Infinity Ward under Activision, and also made Titanfall, which were all very well optimized under their development.

No offence, but it's hard to take this too seriously with no video proof of what you're talking about, and no reference point as to whether others are having such problems with the game. I also don't see you associating this so called Windows problem with other games, so how could it be Windows?

Lastly, we have the fact that you found corrupt system files, and there are MANY other ways not related to system files that an end user can cause problems with games they play (usually inadvertently), so I'm not inclined at all to believe it's Windows as you insist.

Apr 8, 2019
That still doesn't prove Windows is at fault, as we all know Windows games even with far more advanced graphics can and do run without stutter.

It very well could be at least partly due to poor optimization of the game, but that is not typical of these devs, whom also made CoD when they were Infinity Ward under Activision, and also made Titanfall, which were all very well optimized under their development.

No offence, but it's hard to take this too seriously with no video proof of what you're talking about, and no reference point as to whether others are having such problems with the game. I also don't see you associating this so called Windows problem with other games, so how could it be Windows?

Lastly, we have the fact that you found corrupt system files, and there are MANY other ways not related to system files that an end user can cause problems with games they play (usually inadvertently), so I'm not inclined at all to believe it's Windows as you insist.
Yeah, i agreed that the problem can be something else than windows. I havent tried yet blackops 4 thats why i didnt associate it. I can give some video material from in game, but i dont know why? Frametime spikes and gpu usage drops (last under 0.2 sec usually). If you dont believe check youtube. No matter what cpu , you can see frametime spikes in Apex benchmarks. Same thing with cod bo4. I got fix via ISLC atleast in Apex Legends.

I can give some video material from in game, but i dont know why?
Why, because in my experience it's pretty common that people will insist they have stutter, only to show videos that show if anything acceptably smooth gameplay. It's nothing personal, just something I've come to not trust until I see it for myself. Plus there's various kinds of stutter, which can be caused by various things, so seeing it often helps determine the cause, or at least narrow it down. For instance hitches that always happen at the same exact spots are often checkpoint saves. Some game engines do not load assets smoothly enough at such points, so a hitch results.

Apr 8, 2019
Why, because in my experience it's pretty common that people will insist they have stutter, only to show videos that show if anything acceptably smooth gameplay. It's nothing personal, just something I've come to not trust until I see it for myself. Plus there's various kinds of stutter, which can be caused by various things, so seeing it often helps determine the cause, or at least narrow it down. For instance hitches that always happen at the same exact spots are often checkpoint saves. Some game engines do not load assets smoothly enough at such points, so a hitch results.
Okay, I tried today Cod with ISLC , no stutters or actually they were freezes in cod, but little frametime spikes when opening death stash for example. Must be engines problem because intel 8700k benchmark videos showed them also. Why I started mention about it was because the 1 sec stutter/freezes cannot be engine problems, seems that ISLC fixed also those. I need to test more COD to be sure about that. I played 1.5hrs only.

Apr 8, 2019
Here is example video in Apex without ISLC. (this was only light microstuttering, can be much pronounced)
https://plays.tv/video/5cbc8a8b9f4316d72d/apex-legends-with-gtx-1070-and-ryzen-1700x
and here is BlackOps 4 without ISLC https://plays.tv/video/5cbc8c678b2d0a6af8/massive-stutter
Sorry in Cod is no frametime/GPU graphs, but I have checked that when stutter happens cpu is okay, but GPU goes down to 0 usage. Also I played COD more with ISLC and no problems yet.
(Video quality sucks, sorry about that)

Last edited:
Neither of those videos demonstrate any stutter, and certainly not anywhere near unacceptable levels of it, especially for mp play.

Also makes me skeptical whether ISLC really is doing anything, as my experience with SLC's has been that they don't if you have 16GB RAM.

This is why I'm usually hesitant to believe claims of stutter. There's often a lot of talk and speculation, followed by zero proof.

And I've played through CoD WWII at least 3 times if that's the one you're referring to, on a 8700k no less, and there was no stutter, so I can't say I agree it has a general problem with it even on an 8700k.

Apr 8, 2019
Neither of those videos demonstrate any stutter, and certainly not anywhere near unacceptable levels of it, especially for mp play.

Also makes me skeptical whether ISLC really is doing anything, as my experience with SLC's has been that they don't if you have 16GB RAM.

This is why I'm usually hesitant to believe claims of stutter. There's often a lot of talk and speculation, followed by zero proof.

And I've played through CoD WWII at least 3 times if that's the one you're referring to, on a 8700k no less, and there was no stutter, so I can't say I agree it has a general problem with it even on an 8700k.
I can send you a full 10-30 min proof if you want. You cannot see any frametime spikes (like in my ex. video) with ISLC ON but with off you will see like in the Apex video. And in cod example, there is massive freeze and definetely unacceptable. I died in that situation because of it, how it can be acceptable? If its not stutter, what is it? I think i know what ISLC do or not to do. Its not plasebo or any imagination. Hard proofs with frametime graphs. Also have to mention that in fps games even those microstutters can ruin your experience.