Question Stuttering in applications that are not priority window ?

Nov 3, 2022
I'll try to explain this as best I can because it's hard to really describe the issue.

I'm having this issue that's becoming too much of a hassle to ignore. The problem is that it only happens with certain games, most somewhat graphically intense games with World of Warcraft being one of the rare exceptions.

I play my games with a two-monitor setup. Both monitors are 1440p; my primary monitor is 165hz with G-Sync Compatibility, my secondary monitor is 144hz with full G-Sync.
Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4 3200MHz
MSI Ventus 3x GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Corsair RM1000X 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply
Windows 10 Home Edition, latest update

The issue I am running into, as easily as I can explain it, is that when certain games are running as the priority window, I'm noticing severe slowdown in applications that are on my other monitor. As a recent example, I'm playing World of Warcraft and leveling in the previous expansion's zones. I'm playing while also watching media on my other monitor. Whenever I turn my camera to look at something, I'm noticing the videos on my other screen slowing down like they're being affected by what my GPU is rendering. At first I thought this had to do with shadow rendering, as I disabled that for a little bit and saw that it improved performance--but now it doesn't seem like that fixed it at all, as another zone with different shaders is now affecting performance in other windows.

The game itself is running fine without any slowdown or stuttering.

This is also happening in Second Life, but it's far more drastic there and it seems like disabling shadows in the client fixed the issue on that front. But I would like to try and get shadows turned on so I can enjoy full graphics capability.

Do you have the latest motherboard BIOS and latest AMD chipset drivers installed, from the AMD website? Or are you relying solely on the native Microsoft supplied drivers? I'd update ALL of the drivers from your motherboard product page for network adapter (LAN or Wifi, or both), audio controller, chipset, and make sure you have the most recent stable motherboard BIOS version installed. Also, doing a clean install of the Nvidia drivers using the DDU wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Nov 3, 2022
I have everything updated and I am still running into this issue.

As further explanation, it isn't just when the game(s) are running but when they take priority window. So when they're active and in focus. If I have another web browser window overlayed over the game, everything is normal in the areas where the slowdown usually occurs. It's the oddest thing and I can't find an explanation for it anywhere.

I would like to watch videos while I'm gaming so this would be a great thing to fix.