Question Stuttering in demanding games with a good pc

vux

Prominent
Mar 16, 2018
I have lost my patience with this PC. I have tried everything that i could, and i still get stuttering in demanding games after 1.5 years of owning it. I'll try to explain everything as detailed as possible.
My fps is fine, but i get frametime spikes which point to a CPU issue because in games like BF1 and DOOM, my CPU frametime graph spikes up during the stutters while the GPU graph stays stable. My score in Cinebench R20 is 2649, 3DMark Firestrike score is: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33998414?(that is with my old configuration with 2 different RAM manufacturers and a different HDD, but it will be the same now so i won't bother testing it again).
Here are my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/VuxTebralone/saved/#view=PQTwhM
Everything is on stock, except that the XMP profile is on. My CPU never goes over 65°C, GPU never goes above 75°C.
These are the games that get stuttering:
  • GTA V
  • Crysis 3
  • Apex Legends
  • Battlefield 1
  • DOOM 2016
  • BioShock Infinite
  • Killing Floor 2
  • Wreckfest
And here are the games that have no stuttering:
  • Rocket League
  • Broforce
  • CS:GO(although sometimes it also stutters for some reason)
  • DiRT Rally
  • Left 4 Dead 2 etc.
Things that i have tried:
  • Updating BIOS
  • Updating GPU and Chipset drivers
  • Manually changing my CPU and GPU frequency and voltage so it doesn't go down
  • Changing the RAM
  • Changing the slots in which the RAM is installed
  • Changing my HDD
  • Unplugging my HDD for the games that are on my SSD
  • Reinstalling the CPU
  • Disabling/Enabling Chill and Framerate Target Control
  • Setting the games to high priority in Task Manager
  • Changing affinity in Task Manager
  • Unplugging my second monitor
  • Lots of different settings and resolutions
  • Closing every single program except for Radeon Settings
  • Monitoring my usages when the stutters happen, nothing spikes up at that time
  • Replugging all the cables
  • I use Freesync but i have also tried V sync
  • Disabling all the overlays(Origin, Steam)
  • Swithing from High performance power plan to Ryzen Balanced
  • DDU
  • Clean install of Windows
  • Probably something else that i forgot to mention

jafrankl

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
This should sum it up:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-x4JAfJZM

AMD chips simply don't work as nicely as Intel with some games. The Ryzen was specifically built to be a work horse in encoding, compressing, editing, etc. Intel CPUs have better management in pushing the work meant for the GPU to the GPU. Also, the 4 GB card might sadly be struggling with some intense moments in the bigger games. Seems like 6 GB is pretty standard required for ultra presets on most titles without issue. I do believe what Calvin7 said could be important as well. He's trying to tell you that turning the XMP off is the same as having it on - which is why it doesn't matter if you turn it off, if there's an issue with your board. There might be manual settings you could do to match the XMP profile though.

• DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
  • Timing 16-18-18-38
  • CAS Latency 16
  • Voltage 1.35V
Memory specs listed above are very high for a system that "everything is on stock".

When left on [Auto] or if XMP does not operate correctly it runs at:
2133MHz
1.2v

I would try running at 2666MHz manually
  • Timing 15-17-17-35
  • CAS Latency 15
  • Voltage 1.35V or 1.30v
Stuttering is probably caused by what your memory is running at.

vux

Prominent
Mar 16, 2018
This should sum it up:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-x4JAfJZM

AMD chips simply don't work as nicely as Intel with some games. The Ryzen was specifically built to be a work horse in encoding, compressing, editing, etc. Intel CPUs have better management in pushing the work meant for the GPU to the GPU. Also, the 4 GB card might sadly be struggling with some intense moments in the bigger games. Seems like 6 GB is pretty standard required for ultra presets on most titles without issue. I do believe what Calvin7 said could be important as well. He's trying to tell you that turning the XMP off is the same as having it on - which is why it doesn't matter if you turn it off, if there's an issue with your board. There might be manual settings you could do to match the XMP profile though.
That 8600k costs more than double what the 1600x costs, so of course it's gonna be faster dude. You expect a 120 euro cpu to be faster than a 270 euro cpu? Also i dont see more than a few hiccupt in the video. I have way bigger stutters way more often

As i said, i have tried lower settings and still got the same problem, so no its not the vram

Also, it says my ram is running at 3200 so xmp works

vux

Prominent
Mar 16, 2018
  • DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
  • Timing 16-18-18-38
  • CAS Latency 16
  • Voltage 1.35V
Memory specs listed above are very high for a system that "everything is on stock".

When left on [Auto] or if XMP does not operate correctly it runs at:
2133MHz
1.2v

I would try running at 2666MHz manually
  • Timing 15-17-17-35
  • CAS Latency 15
  • Voltage 1.35V or 1.30v
Stuttering is probably caused by what your memory is running at.
My memory is running at full speed, it says so in the bios

vux

Prominent
Mar 16, 2018
stick with 1 thread
I have tried everything that i could, and i still get stuttering in demanding games after 1.5 years of owning my PC. I'll try to explain everything as detailed as possible. My fps is fine, but i get frametime spikes which point to a CPU issue because in games like BF1 and DOOM, my CPU frametime graph spikes up during the stutters while the GPU graph stays stable. It's hard to see the stutters in the videos but you have to take my word for it. My score in Cinebench R20 is 2649, 3DMark Firestrike score is: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33998414? (that is with my old configuration with 2 different RAM manufacturers and a different HDD, but it will be the same now so i won't bother testing it again.

Here are my specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz 2x8GB for AMD (model number ends with GTZRX)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H
  • Cooler: Wraith Spire RGB
  • GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RX570 4GB
  • SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB
  • HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM
  • PSU: Corsair CX550M
Everything is on stock, except that the XMP profile is on. My CPU never goes over 65°C, GPU never goes above 75°C.

These are the games that get stuttering:
  • GTA V
  • Crysis 3
  • Apex Legends
  • Battlefield 1
  • DOOM 2016
  • BioShock Infinite
  • Killing Floor 2
  • Wreckfest
And here are the games that have no stuttering:
  • Rocket League
  • Broforce
  • CS:GO(although sometimes it also stutters for some reason)
  • DiRT Rally
  • Left 4 Dead 2 etc.
Things that i have tried:
  • Updating BIOS
  • Updating GPU and Chipset drivers
  • Manually changing my CPU and GPU frequency and voltage so it doesn't go down
  • Changing the RAM
  • Changing the slots in which the RAM is installed
  • Changing my HDD
  • Unplugging my HDD for the games that are on my SSD
  • Reinstalling the CPU
  • Disabling/Enabling Chill and Framerate Target Control
  • Setting the games to high priority in Task Manager
  • Changing affinity in Task Manager
  • Unplugging my second monitor
  • Lots of different settings and resolutions
  • Closing every single program except for Radeon Settings
  • Monitoring my usages when the stutters happen, nothing spikes up at that time
  • Replugging all the cables
  • I use Freesync but i have also tried V sync
  • Disabling all the overlays(Origin, Steam)
  • Swithing from High performance power plan to Ryzen Balanced
  • DDU
  • Clean install of Windows

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS