Question Stuttering in games

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
Hello , can anyone tell me what problem i have? I have pretty frequent fps drops in all games , my GPU clock goes down at 50mhz, 200mhz , depends, never the same, one time i had 0 mhz , in the video drop to 310mhz , powers goes froms 75w to 50w , when that happens fps drop, from 60 goes to 52 and came back to 60 (exemple in the video) Somtimes fps goes to 34,51.... not always the same. I try to fix it for 2 years , no succes. I play on 60hz, i changed , RAM, motherboard, fresh install on ssd, ssd m2, hdd, XMP off, and other tweaks , still stutters in games. What i didn't tried to change are PSU and CPU. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks !

SPECS:

Motherboard : GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE V2
CPU : Ryzen 5600X
Video Card : RX 6700 XT
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHz
PSU : Seasonic S12III-650, 80+ Bronze, 650W
M.2 SSD: Kingston A2000 250GB (Windows)
HDD/SSD : For games , media

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NiEY8LbQMo&ab_channel=Raffa

Last edited:
Hello , can anyone tell me what problem i have? I have pretty frequent fps drops in all games , my GPU clock goes down at 50mhz, 200mhz , depends, never the same, one time i had 0 mhz , in the video drop to 310mhz , powers goes froms 75w to 50w , when that happens fps drop, from 60 goes to 52 and came back to 60 (exemple in the video) Somtimes fps goes to 34,51.... not always the same. I try to fix it for 2 years , no succes. I play on 60hz, i changed , RAM, motherboard, fresh install on ssd, ssd m2, hdd, XMP off, and other tweaks , still stutters in games. What i didn't tried to change are PSU and CPU. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks !

SPECS:

Motherboard : GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE V2
CPU : Ryzen 5600X
Video Card : RX 6700 XT
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHz
PSU : Seasonic S12III-650, 80+ Bronze, 650W
M.2 SSD: Kingston A2000 250GB (Windows)
HDD/SSD : For games , media

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NiEY8LbQMo&ab_channel=Raffa

computer case ?

temperatures ?
https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.53.exe

also that nvme is tiny.

cpu cooler ?

run the hw monitor in the background of the game and record the temperatures once you leave said game should give you a idea if anythings overheating

what resolution are you playing at

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
computer case ?

temperatures ?
https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.53.exe

also that nvme is tiny.

cpu cooler ?

run the hw monitor in the background of the game and record the temperatures once you leave said game should give you a idea if anythings overheating

what resolution are you playing at
Temps are good , i post video, you can see in video what temps i have, i check so many times all temps VRM also, sdd, hdd, are fine. Is something with PSU or CPU, maybe

Cooler Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
issue you may run into if your running games of a hard drive it may have issues with textures pop in.

what resolution are you running 1080p ?
Yes, i play games on sdd not m2, is 100% health, the m2 have 68 remaning life, sometimes i have some spikes on hdd like, 60% when is have drop fps, but most of drop , happen to power and GPU clock.

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
if you havent already turn on vysnc this will sync your monitor to your gpu it should stop frame drops because the 6700xt can do 75 easy or higher at 1080p
I know, is on, i play with V-sync all games, except Counter Strike 2. i tried with V-Sync off and on, all games, the same ! The problem is cause i have massive periodic drops, after few minutes happens, work smooth after 3 - 5 minutes happens again , all the time. Mafia DE, Mafia 3 DE , Lies of p...... all stutter after few minutes. Is annoying.

I know, is on, i play with V-sync all games, except Counter Strike 2. i tried with V-Sync off and on, all games, the same !

my guess is the hardrives cache is being slow and its loading something from hd as if you look at the video you see the minute it hits hd 2 the framerate drops

if you have space on the 250 ssd put the game on that temporary and monitor and see if it happens again

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
my guess is the hardrives cache is being slow and its loading something from hd as if you look at the video you see the minute it hits hd 2 the framerate drops
Yes , i just write about sdd , do you think sdd spikes can stop powering components? Riva tuner name it "HDD" but is SSD, you konw...

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020

if you have space on the 250 ssd put the game on that temporary and monitor and see if it happens again
I don't have, i tried to install games on hdd, same effect, my hdd and ssd's are pretty full, can that be the problem? Or only sistem sdd can affect whole pc if is nearly full?

Yes , i just write about sdd , do you think sdd spikes can stop powering components? Riva tuner name it "HDD" but is SSD, you konw...
thats not how it works the gpu is working fine so is cpu but it seems like its waiting for the hd to give it the information.

if the gpu has nothing to process its going to downclock as its got nothing to do.

this game in particular is quite cpu intensive more then gpu.

I don't have, i tried to install games on hdd, same effect, my hdd and ssd's are pretty full, can that be the problem? Or only sistem sdd can affect whole pc if is nearly full?

you should never full a harddrive completely full or ssd it shortens its lifespan.

hdd are mechanical and much slower then ssd and nvme. hd especially on newer games your going to have bad load time and in some game s lag.

rule of thumb at least leave 30-40gb of space.

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
thats not how it works the gpu is working fine so is cpu but it seems like its waiting for the hd to give it the information.

if the gpu has nothing to process its going to downclock as its got nothing to do.

this game in particular is quite cpu intensive more then gpu.
CPU not having power drops or usage drops, only GPU power and GPU clock and ssd spike.
Sometimes ssd don't spikes , just GPU clock, and power.

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
you should never full a harddrive completely full or ssd it shortens its lifespan.

hdd are mechanical and much slower then ssd and nvme. hd especially on newer games your going to have bad load time and in some game s lag.

rule of thumb at least leave 30-40gb of space.
I will try do put a game on the m2, and also make some space on all drives, i can disconect some of them to see if that is problem. I check some recordings videos from games, i have a few, let me check closely what happen with all components, thanks! But i can change so much from m2 cause i have a bunch of settings and software there, i don't wanna lose something from there :)

I will try do put a game on the m2, and also make some space on all drives, i can disconect some of them to see if that is problem. I check some recordings videos from games, i have a few, let me check closely what happen with all components, thanks!

no problem its most likely just the harddrive being to slow to send the data to the ram

basicly

hd sends the data to ram and then ram sends it to gpu ( because the hd is being slow in sending all the data to ram it it isnt being processed fast enough i recon.

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
I think about also on audio problem, i disconect audio card, i tried to play only with amd drivers HDMI, I tried only with one of audio card, if you see in this video, when that alaram sound pop up, stutter is on. My PSU can have some problems? GPU is pretty new in comparation with the PSU. Usage age i mean.

Raphaelll

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
one option that might help is getting a decent and stable power supply. The S12III- series is horrible quality , it's not even manufactured by Seasonic.
Thanks a lot for all help you do for me! Finally someone who answer to my problem. I will try the GPU on my friend PC these days, and also i try to make some space on hdd, sdd and i try to install a game on the m2. My friend have corsair 650w i think, anyway, worth give a chance, i think CPU is fine. I will come back with results.
Thanks a lot again! :)

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech