Stuttering in Most Games (New PC)

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Hello. So ever since I built my pc a few days ago, I have noticed stuttering in most of the games I tried. What could be causing this and how do I get rid of it? I have well above 60 fps in all games and v-sinc off. I play at 1080p.

*Specs:
-i5-8400
-Asus 1070 Strix OC
-8GB DDR4-2666 (single slot)
-1 TB SSD
-650W 80+ Bronze PS

*Rise of the Tomb Raider Benchmark Results
-Avg FPS: 81
-1% Low: 7
-0.1% Low: 3
-Ram and VRAM usage reached above 7GB
-GPU and CPU temps are very good
-GPU usage bounces around a bit but is usually close to 100%
-CPU Usage jumps around a bit too and sometimes reaches 100%

*Things I Have Tried:
-Overclocking GPU
-Putting antivirus (bitdefender) in gaming mode
-Updating video drivers and windows
-Disk defragmentation
-Checking for memory leak
-disabling razer synapse
-Closing unnecessary processes
-Closing MSI Afterburner

Could it be the single slot RAM?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Never defrag an ssd. First time is ok just don't do it again.

Check pagefile usage commited under memory in task manager. May have to increase size manually x3 of your memory size. Search how to change pagefile size.

Pagefile on an ssd is much faster than on a normal hdd albeit more performance is had if you went 16GB, 2x 8GB for dual channel for increased bandwidth between ram and cpu. Should help lower cpu usage, thats where the stutters generally are. Want cpu usage down to 60~70%. Gpu usage is fine where it is.

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Ok. I'll change the pagefile size now and let you know how it goes. I am getting another 8gb soon so hopefully that will solve the problem. It's weird because I never had this problem on my old computer with two 4gb sticks of ram.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Was 1070Ti also in your older system? The cpu does have to feed it more and at 1080p as well there can be a cpu bottleneck there too. Can try use nvidia dsr or resolution scaler if game has a setting for it to up the resolution. See if there's a drop in cpu usage then. Might not change anything but something to try.

Nvidia dsr if you choose 1.20x or any of the values the extra resolutions will be available ingame. Just renders a higher resolution then down scales back to 1080p. Suppose to give a clearer image and wouldn't need to use much antialiasing then.

Also try without using Geforce Experience. It's known to cause performance issues.

Search regarding Game Bar and Fullscreen Optimisation performance issues. Try disable them.

Ram can be funny, mixing even same brand/specs may or may not work together. Its a chance game.

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

I don't have a 1070ti, just a 1070. No, my old system had an i5-4690k, gtx 1080, 8gb ram (two sticks), 1tb hdd, 250gb ssd and 1440p monitor.

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

I just tried uninstalling geforce experience and running the benchmark at 1440p and there is no improvement /:

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

I have a 144hz monitor if that matters. My old system monitor was 60hz.

jb1232

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
I'm not sure if its related to your issue but this solution is gold in general I found it on anther thread. Download RAMmap from Microsoft and run it. Once your in go to the "empty" tab up the top and press "empty standby list" only solution which actually solved my stuttering and fps issues in all games consistently. Helped me massively!!!

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Yes I updated to the latest firmware. It is a crucial mx500 1TB.

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

It is consistent stuttering in most games with very low 1% and 0.1% low framerates (like 5fps and 1fps in bf1 respectively). It's even stuttering in non-demanding games like fortnite.

I tried 16gb ram in dual channel and the stuttering still persisted so I know it doesn't have anything to do with ram now.

I'll try that driver when I get home.

The only problem with windows that I encountered is that "windows task scheduler" would not start.

I did a complete windows 10 reset so I'll see if that helps at all with the stuttering.

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes when I get home. It's getting really frustrating. I feel like I've tried everything and I really don't want to pay 100 bucks to take it to a pc repair place.

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Ok so after the windows reset, the ssd scores are a little better but the stuttering hasn't changed. I also tried reverting to driver 391.35 and it didn't make a difference /:

Jtkyber

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

All games. I think I found the solution. Someone told me that an i5-8400 is not quite powerful enough to run a 144hz monitor. So my CPU is a bottleneck. That explains why my CPU usage is higher than it should be, often reaching 100%. I did a slight overclock and I definitely notice a small improvement. So unfortnunately I'll probably have to sell my CPU and buy an i5-8600k /:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It's possible. There is mention of a bottleneck 1080p 144Hz with 8400, it is hard to believe though. 8600k for consistent turbo speeds/ or overclock on all 6 cores. 8700k for Hyperthreading.

What you can do is some testing and monitor cpu usage.

Try limit fps using Nvidia Inspector, meddling with different fps amounts. 90 / 100 / 120.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-profile-inspector-download.html

Might not prove anything but see if cpu usage drops and less stutters.