Question Stuttering in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexxthegreaat

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
1 weeks ago I started to get micro stuttering on my Windows 10 PC. The stuttering starts inconsistently. It can start after 5 minutes or hours after boot. Restarting the computer fixes it temporarily but it will return eventually. Once the stuttering starts, if I play YouTube or any video source and never move the mouse, the stuttering does not occur. Only moving the mouse causes stutters once the stuttering starts back up. I updated my Nvidia drivers and updated windows recently so I assumed one of those had to be the culprit. I tried going back to an earlier version of Windows and an earlier Nvidia driver. It seemed to be working ok yesterday. Then today it came back. Even after I rolled back to an earlier version of Windows and Nvidia. I didn't want to deal with figuring it out so I just reinstalled Windows 10 cause sometimes this can resolve the issue if the OS itself is corrupt. About 5 minutes after finishing a fresh install of Windows 10, the mouse stuttering came back. Anyone have any ideas for a fix?

Last edited:
1 weeks ago I started to get micro stuttering on my Windows 10 PC. The stuttering starts inconsistently. It can start after 5 minutes or hours after boot. Restarting the computer fixes it temporarily but it will return eventually. Once the stuttering starts, if I play YouTube or any video source and never move the mouse, the stuttering does not occur. Only moving the mouse causes stutters once the stuttering starts back up. I updated my Nvidia drivers and updated windows recently so I assumed one of those had to be the culprit. I tried going back to an earlier version of Windows and an earlier Nvidia driver. It seemed to be working ok yesterday. Then today it came back. Even after I rolled back to an earlier version of Windows and Nvidia. I didn't want to deal with figuring it out so I just reinstalled Windows 10 cause sometimes this can resolve the issue if the OS itself is corrupt. About 5 minutes after finishing a fresh install of Windows 10, the mouse stuttering came back. Anyone have any ideas for a fix?
Is the bios updated, and do you have motherboard drivers?

alexxthegreaat

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
From the bios date listed in the results you posted it would appear your running a beta bios.
I would try updating your bios.
2020/09/25 is no longer a viable bios they may have removed it because of the buggs or again it was a beta that has bugs but try the 2020/11/03 bios
When I looked at the bios version it said I am using version 2503. The date you notice was a good catch. But when I installed version 2503 11/03 using Asus EZFlash in the bios. It said it was version installing 2503 09/25 again not 11/03. Very strange because that was the 11/03 version from the site that I just installed. Once I finished the install it still says I'm on the 09/25 version. But maybe its possible Asus didn't change the date of the software after updating it on their site which is why when I checked for bios updates it said i was up to date. Regardless I went ahead and installed the 2503 11/03. Hope it fixes the problem. we shall find out soon.

Did a user benchmark again after the update, it also says I'm in 2503 09/25 which is false.

Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) Performance Results - UserBenchmark

When I looked at the bios version it said I am using version 2503. The date you notice was a good catch. But when I installed version 2503 11/03 using Asus EZFlash in the bios. It said it was version installing 2503 09/25 again not 11/03. Very strange because that was the 11/03 version from the site that I just installed. Once I finished the install it still says I'm on the 09/25 version. But maybe its possible Asus didn't change the date of the software after updating it on their site which is why when I checked for bios updates it said i was up to date. Regardless I went ahead and installed the 2503 11/03. Hope it fixes the problem. we shall find out soon.

Did a user benchmark again after the update, it also says I'm in 2503 09/25 which is false.

Asus won't always post the bios date of finalizing.

However now try restoring your xmp profile and everything you want to adjust

Whay

What all are you running in the background that also can bea issue

alexxthegreaat

Reputable
Oct 27, 2017
Whay
What all are you running in the background that also can bea issue
That was the first thing I tested. Its not my background programs because even when closing all of them and letting my computer sit for hours. id come back and the stuttering would return even while the computer was sitting idle. This is why I'm on the forum now unfortunately. Also remember. when i reinstalled windows. 5mins after having a fresh install with no programs installed yet. the stuttering came back as stated in the post. this is what confirmed it isnt a background program. something with windows isnt playing nice. the BIOS could be the correct direction since it can cause issues with hardware running correctly with the OS. So i am glad you caught i had a slightly different version because i checked the bios and it said i was up to date. but it was false. Guess we will find out

Status
Not open for further replies.