Question Stuttering issue with RTX 3070 and i7-10700K ?

Sep 27, 2021
hi I have been having an issue for the past two months and cant figure out why my pc keeps stuttering with high fps i play games such as destiny 2 gta 5 and blood hunt and in all those games i keep getting micro stutters with high fps every setting i have on the games are run on low settings and i have done a ddu reinstalled windows, my temps are fine never go over 58 on cpu or 65 on gpu.

i have an rtx 3070 asus ko oc edditon and did not have this problem until recently. At first the problem would be me stuttering bad over and over with music on then i upgraded ram and now have micro stutters but this never happened when i was playing warzone. I left that game and now are having the problem some of my other games.

Specs:

msi z490 -a pro mother board,
RTX 3070
i7-10700K
3600 mghz 32 gb ram,
NZXT AIO
750 w corsair rated bronze psu.

I had upgraded my psu from a 650 gigabyte psu and it lowered the amount of stuttering but still happens somewhat frequent. other than the psu the only thing i changed from warzone was the cooler for cpu from an air cooler to the nxzt aio. any advice would help me out. my windows is on a ssd too btw.

hi I have been having an issue for the past two months and cant figure out why my pc keeps stuttering with high fps i play games such as destiny 2 gta 5 and blood hunt and in all those games i keep getting micro stutters with high fps every setting i have on the games are run on low settings and i have done a ddu reinstalled windows, my temps are fine never go over 58 on cpu or 65 on gpu.

i have an rtx 3070 asus ko oc edditon and did not have this problem until recently. At first the problem would be me stuttering bad over and over with music on then i upgraded ram and now have micro stutters but this never happened when i was playing warzone. I left that game and now are having the problem some of my other games.

Specs:

msi z490 -a pro mother board,
RTX 3070
i7-10700K
3600 mghz 32 gb ram,
NZXT AIO
750 w corsair rated bronze psu.

I had upgraded my psu from a 650 gigabyte psu and it lowered the amount of stuttering but still happens somewhat frequent. other than the psu the only thing i changed from warzone was the cooler for cpu from an air cooler to the nxzt aio. any advice would help me out. my windows is on a ssd too btw.
Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and the chipset in system device (if available) on device manager (should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset:
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, then save and exit

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Enable hardware accelerated graphics scheduling (available in the latest windows update) in graphics settings and reboot, it should be like this:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021
UserBenchmarks: Game 150%, Desk 102%, Work 151%
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 - 94.8%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 - 156.8%
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 1TB - 112.3%
SSD: Samsung 980 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 322.7%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 C18 2x16GB - 110.4%
MBD: MSI Z490-A PRO

Sep 27, 2021
Hmm ideally I would have wanted a better psu for a 10700k and 3070. I don’t think this is the problem but I have a little doubt about it.

How many drives do you have connected and what are they? If running more than one can you try with only one drive connected.
the drives i have connected are a ssd Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal Solid State and the nvm ssd i have is a Samsung nvme ssd 980 m.2 3500mb/s

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Go into the bios, go into advanced mode (F7) if you're not in it, and look at th settings menu, look at,

▶ Advanced sub-menu The Advanced sub-menu allows you to adjust and set the parameters and behaviors of PCIe, ACPI, integrated peripherals, integrated graphics, USB, power management and Windows .
PCIe/PCI Sub-system Settings sub-menu Sets PCI, PCI express interface protocol and latency timer.
think it's here that you will be able to set the pcie speed. Can always set it to "auto" again if it doesn't help.

Sep 27, 2021
since the last two months i dont rember anything that could have been downloaded but i did a malware bytes scan and nun popped up and for the psu ive upgraded and thought that would be the fix so id hate to upgrade again and nun change again

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A)Since you hadn't downloaded or installed anything at that time... there's still the occasional forced Windows Update. It does break things sometimes - figuratively speaking.
Possible solutions consist of:
-Rolling back to a Restore Point before the performance dropped off.
-Updating the chipset, LAN, and audio drivers. A bios update may help as well.
-I don't think anyone asked this yet, but "did you ever raise/remove this cpu's PL1(power limit) in bios?

EX: Latency Monitor may help pinpoint the cause, but uhh, I can't make much out of what it finds. Perhaps someone else watching this thread can.
https://www.resplendence.com/downloads (free Home Edition, of course)

B)Concerning hardware, psu was the only change at the time... It looks like neither was adequate for a 3070.
I'm not well versed in psu - I have to rely on reviews and tier lists to get my info.
Now, it might not even be the psu that's responsible for the stuttering, but another piece of hardware that's not running a-ok.
Unfortunately, all you could do is swap out more parts, so I suggest you try what's up in Point A first, if you haven't already.
Parts that might've 'flown under the radar':
-870 EVO.
It's the only part in the UBM results that 'looks off'. The bench score for the part being looked at should be within 10-15% of the average or just plain higher than it, and the percentile should be 50th or higher.
This thing is 37th percentile and isn't even remotely full... so what's going on here?

-Monitor cable.