Question Stuttering issue with RTX 3070 and i7-10700K ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 27, 2021
hi I have been having an issue for the past two months and cant figure out why my pc keeps stuttering with high fps i play games such as destiny 2 gta 5 and blood hunt and in all those games i keep getting micro stutters with high fps every setting i have on the games are run on low settings and i have done a ddu reinstalled windows, my temps are fine never go over 58 on cpu or 65 on gpu.

i have an rtx 3070 asus ko oc edditon and did not have this problem until recently. At first the problem would be me stuttering bad over and over with music on then i upgraded ram and now have micro stutters but this never happened when i was playing warzone. I left that game and now are having the problem some of my other games.

Specs:

msi z490 -a pro mother board,
RTX 3070
i7-10700K
3600 mghz 32 gb ram,
NZXT AIO
750 w corsair rated bronze psu.

I had upgraded my psu from a 650 gigabyte psu and it lowered the amount of stuttering but still happens somewhat frequent. other than the psu the only thing i changed from warzone was the cooler for cpu from an air cooler to the nxzt aio. any advice would help me out. my windows is on a ssd too btw.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Hey dude, I have same issue with my system (Z490 MSI UNIFY ATX/ i7 10700K / RTX 3060 Ti / 2x8 3000 Mhz XPG D41 / 750w Core Reactor (PSU) /M.2 Adata Swordfish 500GB / AIO NZXT x73)
make your own thread, maybe someone fixes your problem there and imaybe that can be a fix here too.

It’s interesting. I’m having a similar issue. I believe it’s only when I play warzone though.
Haven't played COD MW alot but remember that setting a correct resolution did help and the next might as well,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSXmzm783s

is about Ryzen but afaik does it help with Intel as well. Think someone in a review somewhere said to setmax cores minus two, but play with it.

have u fixed it
What if you disable XMP in the bios? Does it still happen?

Oct 25, 2021
make your own thread, maybe someone fixes your problem there and imaybe that can be a fix here too.

Haven't played COD MW alot but remember that setting a correct resolution did help and the next might as well,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muSXmzm783s

is about Ryzen but afaik does it help with Intel as well. Think someone in a review somewhere said to setmax cores minus two, but play with it.

What if you disable XMP in the bios? Does it still happen?

Turning off xmp does nothing to fix it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I still feel like your issue is hardware, but I'm just not sure what exactly, is the problem.
A clean Windows install or clean boot scenario, would've/should've wiped out a bunch of software related issues, save for ones you may install later.
Hardware problems tend to be more consistent, whereas software is more sporadic... sometimes, it is the other way around - knowing this doesn't help too much, unfortunately...
Samsonite187's issue sounds like drivers/software, I believe is due to only being able to produce the effect in one game.

Is there a piece of hardware that hasn't been mentioned yet - maybe because it wasn't considered important?
How about cable extensions - are you using any of those?
A wireless network card?
Sound card?
Have you tried different monitor cables? The current one may be bad, or it's too long - length can affect signal strength, or something like that, I didn't read too much into it.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It’s counter intuitive...
But it ends up not being counter-intuitive, because of the Gpu Boost feature. Your gpu has a number it likes, or tries, to boost to.
The cooler it runs, the longer it can hold that boost. It's not a matter of being below a specific temperature - cooler is just plain better.
The less often it runs into the power limit - ditto.
Overclocking works against both of these.

Oct 25, 2021
But it ends up not being counter-intuitive, because of the Gpu Boost feature. Your gpu has a number it likes, or tries, to boost to.
The cooler it runs, the longer it can hold that boost. It's not a matter of being below a specific temperature - cooler is just plain better.
The less often it runs into the power limit - ditto.
Overclocking works against both of these.
Yeah cool. Just telling the other guy so he can try it. I know he was having issues and trying a ton of stuff. These 3000 series cards should basically all be undervolted from what I’ve learned talking to others.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Nov 12, 2021
You said if I'm not mistake you are playing at 1080p. On a 10700k and 3070 and experiencing stuttering. My novice first thought would be to examine if vsync. Free sync. Gsync. A frame limit. Etc is in place or not. I would also look in task manager and see if you have a TON of bloatware eating into your system resources. Peripheral program junk. OEM junk. Etc