Stuttering sound after new GPU

Nihth

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Hi,

I just bought a new R9 390 to replace a HD 6950 and after installing it, I experience very annoying stutter when playing sound/video. The image and sound seems to freeze for less than a second and I can hear kind of a "clicking" or ticking sound sound.

I had this exact same issue when I replaced my GPU last time. Last time I tried to reinstall drivers then reinstall Windows, but the thing that solved it was disassembling the whole PC then reassembling it.

This time with the 390 I tried reassembling the PC, but the problem just got worse. Now sound wont play at all, and youtube videos wont start.

My setup:
Sapphire R9 390
Sapphire R9 270x
The GPUs are not connected with Crossfire, I use two GPUs to connect several monitors.
Both the GPUs have attached a CPU water cooler (Corsair h75), dont think this is the issue, but I wont rule anything out. I ran the 270x on a CPU water cooler for some months already with no problems.
Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
AMD FX 8350
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9
Astro A40 with Mix Amp, connected to the motherboard (no extra sound card) with spdif
950w Corsair PSU
Windows 10

Right now I have connected only the 390, and the temperature is around 35C and the CPU temp is less than 20C. Both idle.

As I said I have tried disassembling the PC. Running the computer with only the 270x card doesnt change anything. I have not tried reinstalling Windows yet, I have been trying to avoid it since its a pain in the ass and it didnt change anything last time. I have uninstalled everything audio and video related from device manager and uninstalled GPU drivers with DDU(?).

Does anyone have any clue what might cause this?

Solution
Im pretty sure I solved it.
I installed some Realtek audio driver for the motherboard from 2012. When I update the graphics driver it appearantly replaces the Realtek driver, so I just need to remember to install the Realtek driver after I update the graphics driver.
What I find strange is that I have not had this problem other than when I have changed for a newer GPU. I would think that this problem would show up every time I update the GPU driver, but apparently not.

Thanks for your tips :)

Nihth

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Hi, thanks for you reply.
The GPUs also have a fan cooling them in addition to the CPU water cooler, but the fan is running at a reduced speed.

I have used DDU to reinstall the right drivers.

Right now Im running only on my old HD 6950 with the same problem, does this take the GPUs out of the question?

Could it be the motherboard?

Nihth

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
Im pretty sure I solved it.
I installed some Realtek audio driver for the motherboard from 2012. When I update the graphics driver it appearantly replaces the Realtek driver, so I just need to remember to install the Realtek driver after I update the graphics driver.
What I find strange is that I have not had this problem other than when I have changed for a newer GPU. I would think that this problem would show up every time I update the GPU driver, but apparently not.

Thanks for your tips :)

Solution