[SOLVED] Stuttering when playing longer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mombbo2811

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hello i am having stuttering problems when playing overwatch. The first few matches there is no stuttering but then it starts stuttering when doing simple things like moving around a corner. Things I have done are uninstalled all of my razer programs made sure to update to the latest version of my operating system which is Windows 10 version 1903 and update my drivers.
Here is a screenshot of my temperature when the stuttering happened View: https://imgur.com/a/wuKC96c

I have a lenovo y520 laptop the specs are GeForce GTX 1050 2GB i5-7300HQ CPU

Last edited:
Solution
Nvme pcie m2 ssd and or sata 2.5" ssd. With m2, your laptop only supports pcie nvme versions not m2 sata.

You have a few combination options.

1. Pair your existing hdd with nvme pcie ssd.
  2. Replace hdd with 2.5" sata ssd. (Note. 2.5" sata ssd looks like a normal hdd, this isn't an m2 sata ssd. M2 sata and nvme ssds look similar, like a memory stick kind of)
  3. Pair 2.5" sata ssd and nvme pcie ssd
Samsung make good ssds in either form.
Nvme ssd maximum size for your laptop is 512GB. Sata 2.5" ssd's don't have capacity restrictions.

Nvme capacity;

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Max-M-2-SSD-on-Y520-15IKBN/td-p/4161486

Showing how to install nvme ssd...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Similar recent discussion, same recommended advice.

mombbo2811

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Similar recent discussion, same recommended advice.

he says he doesnt have a powerful laptop to run the game but i listed my specs earlier which are GTX 1050 2gb and i5-7300HQ CPU and they do meet the minimum and recommended requirements for overwatch so i really shouldnt have any stuttering with this game.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Both laptops - cpu/gpu wise are similar. What both of you have in common is an 5400 hdd and 8GB ram. It's up to you if you want to keep trying but this is beating a dead horse.

Put in an SSD and an extra 8GB ram and you'll be amazed. I've been around PCs since 286 so i have a good idea how things works.

mombbo2811

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Both laptops - cpu/gpu wise are similar. What both of you have in common is an 5400 hdd and 8GB ram. It's up to you if you want to keep trying but this is beating a dead horse.

Put in an SSD and an extra 8GB ram and you'll be amazed. I've been around PCs since 286 so i have a good idea how things works.
Im on a laptop and this the only solution? I bought a laptop for this reason that all the parts that i needed was in it not that i would need to spend extra money on it to upgrade it

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That's the trouble with laptops, what you spend is what you get, don't think it'll last as long as a desktop. You could have gone an SSD as part of the package but you didn't know the limitations of an 5400rpm drive or 8GB ram.

mombbo2811

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
That's the trouble with laptops, what you spend is what you get, don't think it'll last as long as a desktop. You could have gone an SSD as part of the package but you didn't know the limitations of an 5400rpm drive or 8GB ram.
it only happens with this game I have no issues with any other games.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The game you're having trouble with is requiring more than what your current laptop is able to give. Upgrade the laptop dude with an SSD and another 8GB ram and you'll be happy. I stress again, an 5400 HDD is not suitable for games.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Nvme pcie m2 ssd and or sata 2.5" ssd. With m2, your laptop only supports pcie nvme versions not m2 sata.

2. Replace hdd with 2.5" sata ssd. (Note. 2.5" sata ssd looks like a normal hdd, this isn't an m2 sata ssd. M2 sata and nvme ssds look similar, like a memory stick kind of)
Nvme ssd maximum size for your laptop is 512GB. Sata 2.5" ssd's don't have capacity restrictions.

Nvme capacity;

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Max-M-2-SSD-on-Y520-15IKBN/td-p/4161486

Showing how to install nvme ssd;

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming...Installation-with-video-for-Y520/td-p/4018625

---

Nvme drives are faster but normal sata ssds are excellent also. Just depends if 512GB of nvme space is enough for you.

Last edited:
Solution

mombbo2811

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019

Nvme capacity;

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming...Installation-with-video-for-Y520/td-p/4018625

---

Nvme drives are faster but normal sata ssds are excellent also. Just depends if 512GB of nvme space is enough for you.
ok thank you for those links i think option 1 would be the best for me

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your welcome

Remember to remove the laptop battery before doing anything inside it.

Before doing anything see how to reinstall windows so you have the installation media ready.

Since your hdd already has windows on it i would disconnect the hdd in the meantime and make sure the laptop's boot priority is set to the ssd in the bios and windows installs on it. Reconnect hdd later and format it in Windows and use it for general storage.

mombbo2811

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019

Nvme capacity;

---

I think i am going to get a sata ssd because they are cheaper and it isnt much of a difference. I can have the sata ssd with my HDD, correct?
The one I am thinking of getting is Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Would be a good idea to download your laptop drivers first and put them on a usb stick. Mainly lan & wireless drivers so when Windows is reinstalled you can connect to the internet. Can download rest of the drivers once you're online again or download them all now, it's upto you how you go about it but most importantly is to have network drivers ready incase Windows doesn't install them and leave you in a pickle.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/au/en/...ks/legion-series/legion-y520-15ikbn/downloads

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah im still here, sorry to hear it didn't solve your issue or least not completely.

So it still begins to stutter after playing for awhile? Have you monitored cpu/gpu temps when this happens? Use a monitoring tool like Hwinfo64 and alt tab when the stutters happen and check cpu/gpu temperatures.

Msi Afterburner can also provide system stats on screen while playing, stuff like cpu speeds, temps, memory usage, gpu speeds, vram usage etc, there's a wide range of info you can display on screen. Maybe try that. Youtube has Msi Afterburner OSD guides on how to set it up.

Look into other Windows tweaks too like disabling Xbox DVR recording, stuff that Windows runs in the background that can degrade performance. A program like Winaero can help free up resources by temporarily disabling unnecessary processes.

mombbo2811

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
"Stuttering over prolonged use can be caused by heat or pagefile build up. Cooling pad, faster drive like an ssd or more ram can help.

What drive is Windows and game on and how much memory does the laptop have?

---

Regarding vsync, if this is helping, that's because vsync limits frame rates so there's less frame preparation from the cpu and gpu isn't rendering as many and as a result less cpu work and heat produced by either cpu or gpu.

If vsync input lag bothers you, just limit fps to 58 using a program like Msi Afterburner or Nvidia Inspector if the game doesn't have an fps limiter. With fps limited you should be able to enable vsync without any lag. The two extra frames prevents the side effects caused by vsync working on the very threshold of your refresh rate. "

I did this and screen tearing is gone but the problem is that my fps drops and then it drops to 30-40 fps which is very low for me.

mombbo2811

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Realistically, a laptop of that calibre isn't practically strong. Sure, can tweak a bit and enhance power plans and game settings but remember the 1050 that's in it isn't on the same level as a desktop version and shouldn't expect too much from it.
i guess that are the limitations with a laptop thank you for your help

fa151303faaeb0333ad1ef9776ffd78f.png
PepeSad