Question Stutters with a new monitor

BabeMaybe

Reputable
May 27, 2017
so i have 2 monitors, i replaced an old 60hz with a new 144hz, i believe at start it was fine(maybe just didnt notice anything) but now, on my main monitor when i play stuff(144hz 1), if i watch twitch i get like micro stutters, i still get the same fps, but it feels like its 50-60 fps, also if i have stuff like steam/discord open on the other monitor it also stutters, but i feel like its not always like that so idk, it also never happened on my old 60hz monitor, and when the stutters happens i still get the same fps(200+), but when i watch youtube its completely fine(regarding it stuttering when watching twitch), also if i have twtich running but in a minimised tab its also fine

any ideas?

I would guess frame pacing issue. If your PC has stayed the same and you only upgraded to a monitor with over double the refresh rate of your old one, it may mean some frames aren't quite spaced out as evenly as they were before. If you used some form of vsync it may have 'hidden' the frame pacing from you.

Certainly I'd expect the monitor now would make you more alert to the difference as there are more frames being shown on screen. If there is a load which detracts from the game, then it would explain the sensitivity too. Some games are more prone to open windows but fine if they're minimised.

All that guessing aside, what are your specs?

I would say it's likely the frame pacing issue. You didn't notice it with a 60Hz refresh monitor but do on a 144Hz because there are now more frames on display than previously.

You could use MSI Afterburner to monitor fps and frame times to see if is indeed a frame time issue.