Question Sub Directory Search - Images vs. Files (just realized this, but can it be true?)

Aug 25, 2022
Hi All, Really quick I am in tech, software hardware etc ... thus I know the settings for search in file directory etc as well ensuring its searching sub directories etc etc ... ok then what is my question ... well I was searching for an image on desktop and simply queried search by being in desktop directory and using *.jpg ... ok cool many pop up but not what i needed ... so i so some different queries terms like names and images pop up that are not on desktop but in sub directories on desktop to which then means *.jpg does not search sub directories for images ... yet if i was to be in desktop and do search for any file and or a search such as *.txt ... it will find all meaning it will search in sub directories ... in all my years I never knew this??? am i correct on this search for images in one directory by via *.jpg will not bring up sub directory results yet it will for *.txt and files similar ... this makes no sense ... someone that has win 7 can you test this really quick please and let me know your outcome ... as i cannot believe i am just learning this now ... no wonder sometimes i could not find an image ... thank you in advance i shall be on wait to see some thoughts from you all ... thank you.

I assume you are referring to searching via the built-in Windows tool?

I gave up on it over a decade ago.

Try the lightning quick "Everything" tool from voidtools.com

Enter any part of the file name and results are instantaneous, across the entire drive.

Immediately sortable by path.

I just entered .jpg as a search term. Results in under 1 second that I have 61,233 files containing that text string in the file name.

Similarly, 1497 .txt files found

Aug 25, 2022
I assume you are referring to searching via the built-in Windows tool?

I gave up on it over a decade ago.

Try the lightning quick "Everything" tool from voidtools.com

Enter any part of the file name and results are instantaneous, across the entire drive.

Immediately sortable by path.

I just entered .jpg as a search term. Results in under 1 second that I have 61,233 files containing that text string in the file name.

Similarly, 1497 .txt files found
Thank you, yet I want someone to please try it really quick and revert back as I dont give up on stuff :) plus its very good knowledge to know this as I never knew this ... and thus many other may not either therein thinking the image is not there or about but rather it could be ... so its a good three minute test if somone can please, thx!

Ralston18

Titan
You should be able to do so yourself.

Windows must be "told" to search sub-folders.

FYI:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-search-a-folder-with-its-subfolders-in/6a84640e-b266-4402-
b4ca-2aeb0e805096

From the link:

Open Windows Explorer.

Select Organize / Folder and Search options.

Select the Search Tab.

In the How to search section, select the Include subfolders in search results when searching in file folders option.

= = = =

And to double check you can use DOS or Powershell to confirm that all of the .jpg files are being found.

Reference:

https://www.computerhope.com/dirhlp.htm

Aug 25, 2022
You should be able to do so yourself.

Windows must be "told" to search sub-folders.

FYI:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-search-a-folder-with-its-subfolders-in/6a84640e-b266-4402-
b4ca-2aeb0e805096

From the link:

Open Windows Explorer.

Select Organize / Folder and Search options.

Select the Search Tab.

In the How to search section, select the Include subfolders in search results when searching in file folders option.

= = = =

And to double check you can use DOS or Powershell to confirm that all of the .jpg files are being found.

Reference:

https://www.computerhope.com/dirhlp.htm
Thank you however you did not read my request please ... I know all about the configs in search and how to enable sub directory search etc to which it will ... but not images ... so the question was for someone to please try and confirm on win 7 as I never knew images despite many coming up in a query were not search all directories as it does for files ... again files vs. images ... search for any files checks everywhere all directories ... but for images! it only checks the main folder which I never knew this and probably many did not either as if you have many images you will think it check all subs too ... thus again if someone can test this really quick i would love to know ... thank you again.

Ralston18

Titan
What specific image/file extensions are you looking for?

Windows needs "to know" what image file extension(s) to seek.

Images are files. Likely with .jpg, .bmp, and other extensions - some proprietary.....

FYI:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Media/Formats/Image_types

If your requirement is to search for all possible "image" files then your search needs to include all possible/ required image file formats.

And that, in turn, may require some DOS batch file or possibly a Powershell script.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i just put a folder ful of pics of various types on my win 7 desktop and then searched for *.jpg, *.gif, *. *

and each time it returned what i wanted.

no idea what is going on with your system but it works as it is supposed to on my win 7. includes sub folders no problem and the folder i copied is at least 6 folders deep with pics

Reactions: USAFRet