Question subwoofer detected as center speaker

Mar 17, 2020
i have a sound blaster audigy fx sound card and 2 speakers and a subwoofer hooked up to it
this setup had been working up until now until i unplugged then re-plugged the speakers
ever since the subwoofer doesn't play during songs and the only way it can make a sound is when i test the center speaker in the sound card's app on its speaker configuration

kanewolf

Titan
i have a sound blaster audigy fx sound card and 2 speakers and a subwoofer hooked up to it
this setup had been working up until now until i unplugged then re-plugged the speakers
ever since the subwoofer doesn't play during songs and the only way it can make a sound is when i test the center speaker in the sound card's app on its speaker configuration
The port for connecting the subwoofer is also the port to connect the center channel. It uses the "left" and "right" connections from a stereo 3.5mm jack. If you have a stereo 3.5mm that splits to left and right RCA, then you need to switch the subwoofer to the other half of the splitter.

Mar 17, 2020
The port for connecting the subwoofer is also the port to connect the center channel. It uses the "left" and "right" connections from a stereo 3.5mm jack. If you have a stereo 3.5mm that splits to left and right RCA, then you need to switch the subwoofer to the other half of the splitter.
the subwoofer has a subwoofer cable that i connected to a 3.5mm converter which in turn is plugged into the 3.5mm sub/c port on the sound card
thing is, this is the way i had it for months now and it was working properly which indicates it's a software problem rather than a port/hardware mishap

kanewolf

Titan
the subwoofer has a subwoofer cable that i connected to a 3.5mm converter which in turn is plugged into the 3.5mm sub/c port on the sound card
thing is, this is the way i had it for months now and it was working properly which indicates it's a software problem rather than a port/hardware mishap
Somebody else will have to help you. I don't have that hardware.

If all you did was unplug them, check to make sure you plugged them into the right port and check the software to make sure the port it's in is configured for the speaker type.

Mar 17, 2020
If all you did was unplug them, check to make sure you plugged them into the right port and check the software to make sure the port it's in is configured for the speaker type.
i've checked and they're correctly plugged in and to try to resolve this issue i've updated the sound card's drivers and disabled the onboard audio but to no avail

Mar 17, 2020
update: after installing the drivers for realtek and tweaking with the menu i've found a "swap center/ subwoofer output" option and the subwoofer is now correctly responding in the speaker configuration test, however when playing music, only the speakers are active
in windows settings if i turn on mono audio the subwoofer starts working when music is playing

Last edited: