Question Sudden black screen and fans maxed out with Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polico

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Same PC since more than 3 years, nothing changed. I install Dying light. It goes black screen 5 minutes in game and GPU fans go maxed out. You can only hard power off the PC. The temperatures are below 70º celsius when this happens. Happened the same with the 2 latest drivers from nvidia, the last one doing a correct install procedure. The PC works well in Windows and watching videos. It only crashes in games. With every game, soon, like 1-2 minutes of game, no matter if it demands a lot or not. I tried these things:
  • Updated the BIOS
  • Changed the thermal paste and the thermal pads of the GPU
  • Tried to force voltage
  • Installed the 517.48 only driver from a DDU 18.0.6.1 driver uninstall
  • Changed the GPU for a new one

Here's a HWinfo64 log when I did a 3Dmark > Benchmark > Firestrike and it crashed during the benchmark, around 2 minutes after it started after the loading approx.

Could it be the motherboard? Is it the GPU? Is there's a way to be sure which one it is?
I already bought a PSU and I don't want to buy an entire PC for doing tests. Thanks!

Polico

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Hi, well, for those looking for the same problem. I tried 2 things:
- Installing a new disk to make a fresh windows installation and drivers installation from scracth. The problem persisted.
- In the same Pc as always changing the GPU for another one and the problem is gone. So it's clearly the GPU with some connection problem. I will try to check the connections and resolder them.

DarkForceX

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hi, well, for those looking for the same problem. I tried 2 things:
- Installing a new disk to make a fresh windows installation and drivers installation from scracth. The problem persisted.
- In the same Pc as always changing the GPU for another one and the problem is gone. So it's clearly the GPU with some connection problem. I will try to check the connections and resolder them.
Hi as someone struggling with the same problem sorry for asking this so late. but did you try the resolder and did it make any effect?. i am also about to give resoldering a chance. My RTX 2080 super gaming oc does work at lower voltages for some noticeable performance loss. And i also feel like that buying a new gpu is not needed and that there has to be something i can do to fix the problem.

my psu is Evga supernova 750 G2 80+ Gold
mobo: gigabyte b550m ds3h
cpu: amd ryzen 5600X 4.650mhz
32gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz ddr4. (xmp on)
scythe ninja 5 cooler

When black screen and fans max speed problem happens all the temps are below suggested limits. cpu like 47c and gpu between 60/70 during heavy load.

I gave installing new windows 11 pro, drivers, changing thermal paste a chance but didn't make any difference. i also tried inserting a gtx 1060 6gb inside and that one runs without a problem. but it uses much less power compared to 2080 super.

I kept an eye on OCCT software during gaming and 2080 super at stock settings uses between 250+ and 350+ watt power during gaming before the crash happens
the only way i can keep gaming is with undervolting. So i the problem has to be about the gpu power regulators. i have no clue. i wish i knew what was exactly the problem so i could try to fix it myself.

Polico

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Hi as someone struggling with the same problem sorry for asking this so late. but did you try the resolder and did it make any effect?. i am also about to give resoldering a chance. My RTX 2080 super gaming oc does work at lower voltages for some noticeable performance loss. And i also feel like that buying a new gpu is not needed and that there has to be something i can do to fix the problem.

my psu is Evga supernova 750 G2 80+ Gold
mobo: gigabyte b550m ds3h
cpu: amd ryzen 5600X 4.650mhz
32gb corsair vengeance 3200mhz ddr4. (xmp on)
scythe ninja 5 cooler

When black screen and fans max speed problem happens all the temps are below suggested limits. cpu like 47c and gpu between 60/70 during heavy load.

I gave installing new windows 11 pro, drivers, changing thermal paste a chance but didn't make any difference. i also tried inserting a gtx 1060 6gb inside and that one runs without a problem. but it uses much less power compared to 2080 super.

I kept an eye on OCCT software during gaming and 2080 super at stock settings uses between 250+ and 350+ watt power during gaming before the crash happens
the only way i can keep gaming is with undervolting. So i the problem has to be about the gpu power regulators. i have no clue. i wish i knew what was exactly the problem so i could try to fix it myself.
Hi man, sorry to hear that, but your GPU is dead. I even resolded the main connections and he problem persisted. Is like some element of the GPU that reached the end of his life and there's nothing you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.