[SOLVED] Sudden constant FPS drops when gaming

Feb 10, 2019
Spec is intel i5 7400, nvidia 1060 6gb and 16gb ram, 500gb samsung ssd and 1tb hdd.

So this is a mates pc, was working absolutley fine, then he knocked a switch on top of the case that turned off the exhaust fan, and unwittingly continued to play on it for a couple days before realising. Asked for my help, realised the problem and sorted it. Since then hes been getting bad fps drops. Rainbow 6 siege for example was 150fps and now 50fps, even on low settings at 1080. Same issue with fortnite and a few others.

So far I've checked power settings, run intel diagnostics, checked temps, checked performance in task manager, all the usual bits and can't find the problem.

Is there anything i could be missing? I'm hoping the components aren't damaged from the heat exposure but generally the pc is working fine and intel diagnostics came back as a pass. Thanks

Solution
Not sure if you checked temperatures in load. You can use MSi Afterburner to monitor temperatures right in games or you can run a benchmark (Unigine Superposition or Unigine Valley) and monitor temps there with integrated monitor.
Also check at what frequencies your mate’s CPU and GPU work.

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
Not sure if you checked temperatures in load. You can use MSi Afterburner to monitor temperatures right in games or you can run a benchmark (Unigine Superposition or Unigine Valley) and monitor temps there with integrated monitor.
Also check at what frequencies your mate’s CPU and GPU work.

Solution