Question Sudden cpu temp spike

Apr 22, 2022
Hi I have a corsair cpu liquid cooled system that out of the blue, for no apparent reason spiked in temp so badly it couldn't even finish rolling back a bogus win 10 update and had to immediately be shut down. It was fine when I went to the store, came back and FL Studio was acting all freakin' weird so I restarted and "undoing changes" from the virus that is windows 10 never finished.

My motherboard is a P9x79-WS and going into bios I noticed that all the AI Overclock Tuner has everything on auto. IN the manual it looks like auto is default but I never have the need to overclock this machine anyway. I never use it's full capacity, not even close. It's an older gaming computer but a don't play any intensive games on it. FL Studio is the heaviest thing I run on it and I have no peripherals presently(like a midi keyboard) attached to the computer.

I dread the thought of messing with reseating the cpu, never done that one before..

Any suggestions on why the temp spike?

Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
Question: What do you mean by "badly it couldn't even finish rolling back a bogus win 10 update "?

Source of the update?

More information necessary.

Include full system hardware specs and OS version information.

What version of FL Studio?

Is FL Studio providing any specific error messages or pop-up windows regarding the problems you are seeing?

Look in Update History, Reliability Monitor, and Event Viewer.

Any one or all may provide some additional details about what may have gone wrong.

Entirely possible your AIO's pump has failed, be it for contaminants/flow/fouling issues that occur with many over time, or perhaps just a simple pump failure...(do you have a compatible air cooler you could place on top of the CPU's heat spreader for a few minutes to evaluate/test this possibility? )

(Naturally, a comment over a bogus Win10 update is concerning...; any updates should come from MS thru WIndows, or, thru a driver update from your mainboard maker's website...; if there is concern over possibly ingesting something malicious, I'd restore from a recent backup image, or, possibly evaluate proceeding with the ever-pleasant 'nuke-and-pave')

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022
Hi Well after fl studio was acting super weird I decided to do a restart. That's when win 10 decided to do its update(I could have sworn I paused it for 7 days that very day)and of course I knew the update would not take as I went through the same thing a day or two b4. So it's "undoing changes" forever--I shut it down cause something's wrong it never takes this long.

I wait a little while, maybe 10 mins and try again. Still "undoing changes" so I can't actually boot up. Shut down and restart. But I go right to bios this time and in just my poking round to look in there it spiked into the red zone so I shut it down and it's been sitting unplugged since last night.

I double checked the tubes and they are snug all cables connected to motherboard necessary and fans all working(except in 2nd gpu where fans only spin once in a while)

So since computer can't post I can't give specs
i think i5 intel 3.40ghz
Corsair cpu
mb p9x79 ws
32 gbs ram ddr3 1600mhz
GeForce 950
GeForce 750 Ti
ssd Evo 840 1T

that's all I can remember offhand

Thank you

Apr 22, 2022
A weird thing I did notice that when pressing the power button, power hesitates b4 turning on. It did not do that ever before. You pressed the power button, it came on in one swoop. Now there's a disconnect before the connect-electricity wise. It pauses before actually turning on now.

Apr 22, 2022
What I meant by bogus windows update is the kind of update that won't update but has to then roll back changes, Hopefully windows itself is using windows /microsoft to update with. Since update's turned on it just does the updates(when it can) itself. What I meant to say is that windows 10 itself is a virus. Microsoft is invasive and wants you to get their permission for more and more things. If there's anything malicious on my machine then microsoft let that be possible.

Apr 22, 2022
I p[lugged her in again to find out what the deal is and one of the tubes gets hot super quick driving up the temp before I even get out of bios. It's a corsair cpu I dont know what the cooler is specifically. I have never messed with liquid cooled before. Is the blockied tube a diffficult repair? It's just the one. The other one is fine .

TRENDING THREADS