Question Sudden FPS drop in all games ?

Duzkam

Commendable
Sep 4, 2020
Hello, I have a weird issue that I can't pinpoint the cause of, a good while ago I updated my BIOS and after that I had some performance issues in games, later due to windows 10 updating issues I decided to do a fresh Windows install and updated my BIOS again to the latest version.

After that my FPS in games went back to normal and I had no performance issues, e.g: Valorant was dropping to 140 and after the BIOS update and windows install I went back to my usual 200. But the thing is it went back to dropping to 140 a couple of weeks after doing the fresh install and updating the BIOS it was fine for weeks until it wasn't, btw It's across all games I usually play, I'm seeing a drop in 30-50 FPS from what I used to have.

At least in Valorant I'm not getting bottlenecked both GPU and CPU are never running at 100%, temps are fine as well.
It's an odd issue, losing that many frames after a while of it being okay.

My specs:
R5 1600
RX580 8G
Ripjaws 2x4GB (i don't remember the exact model)
Asus B350-f gaming MOBO
PSU: seasonic s12II 650w

Nate88888

Honorable
Jun 14, 2016
Have you checked that your ram isn't being maxed out? I can imagine that after downloading your programs that you need, 8GB is used up quickly with todays gaming titles and software, when you make a fresh install of windows you will be using a lot less ram than after a few weeks or months depending on how many background applications are running. Have you checked the priority on task manager of your games?

Duzkam

Commendable
Sep 4, 2020
Hi Nate, for Valorant as an example it sits at around 5-6GB, like I said it used to work fine, as in I was getting way more fps, but for some reason I lost around 40-50 fps in most games if not all of them just like that. I just can't pin point the issue.

Sep 28, 2022
I'm not an expert and have no idea what may be causing your fps drop. From my own experience, I have a decent PC, also had an issue with sudden low performance with my installed games for no apparent reason, didn't made any settings change or installed new software programs/apps prior. I've searched online for solutions (cleaning the hardware, updating/re-installing drivers, reverting from a restore point, scanned my pc for malwares/viruses, etc.) but nothing worked for me until i'm at the point where i'm about to reset or re-install my OS. Found my fix by sheer luck. All i did was move my USB headset to another USB port, not sure why i did that (i was losing hope and so frustrated at that point) but when i tried running a game for a few final tests before i reset, everything was okay, my lost fps are back.

tldr; the cause could be anything, but it's always best if you try narrowing and pinpoint the cause in case something similar happens in the future, you'll know what to do.. =)

Last edited:

Duzkam

Commendable
Sep 4, 2020
True, just weird that it was fine after I updated my BIOS and then went back to dropping fps, I did do a full windows re install as well at the same time, but I haven't really installed anything between having "normal" fps and the sudden fps loss.

NOTE: Actually, pc crashed once and got stuck in POST "flashing orange light", had to shut it down and boot again was fine after and I think it was after that that my fps I "lost" my fps, and I'm pretty sure that happened as well before I update my BIOS and at the time made me lose fps on every game as well. Why it's doing that and why it was fine after a BIOS update I don't know.