Question Sudden fps drops?

TylerO17

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey everybody. I have this laptop,

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-sword-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-ti-512gb-ssd-8gb-memory-black/6464556.p?skuId=6464556

I'm curious if anyone else runs one of these and what's your experience? I dont think I have had mine for even a year yet and I think its dying on me. It would run any game 100fps+ up until a month or so ago. Now in WoW or even minecraft i drop to 1-15 frames (basically frozen) for 10-30 seconds maybe once every 5 or so minutes. Last weekend I went through a series of screen flickers and bsod crashes. I dont really know computers. Not sure what the issue is but I'm thinking I have a $800 lemon. To my understanding its not worth replacing laptop parts but I could be wrong.

https://ibb.co/2qS4NcF are these temps hot?

Any takes?

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/sudden-fps-drops.3794461/#post-22920788

hey everybodys ^ this is my original post - I just took this thing apart , blew some dust out not much and im getting the same results in fps drop and a very hot cpu. Max 100c

what would be the next step in fixing this? also are laptop cpu and gpu connected? is it worth just buynig a new laptop
I mean, the next step is probably to see if it's something running in the background gobbling up CPU cycles...do you have current security software, and when was the last time you ran a scan with Malwarebytes?

TylerO17

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I mean, the next step is probably to see if it's something running in the background gobbling up CPU cycles...do you have current security software, and when was the last time you ran a scan with Malwarebytes?
I just use the windows scan options that come pre loaded, i dont have norton or anything. i run the " Full scan " options frequently

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
I just use the windows scan options that come pre loaded, i dont have norton or anything. i run the " Full scan " options frequently
Ahh yeah, so, Windows built-in "virus protection" is pretty 'meh'. I mean, there's a reason the security software companies have all been in business for, what, 20+ years now?

Personally, I use Kaspersky Total Security, and it's what I recommend. NO antivirus has 100% flawless detection, but it's important to run SOMETHING. Bit Defender is also pretty good, and somewhere I believe I read that AVG (paid version) is also pretty decent. I'm not a Norton fan, personally.

I would start out by downloading Malwarebytes, updating it fully, and running a full scan on it. See if it comes up with anything or not.

TylerO17

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Ahh yeah, so, Windows built-in "virus protection" is pretty 'meh'. I mean, there's a reason the security software companies have all been in business for, what, 20+ years now?

Personally, I use Kaspersky Total Security, and it's what I recommend. NO antivirus has 100% flawless detection, but it's important to run SOMETHING. Bit Defender is also pretty good, and somewhere I believe I read that AVG (paid version) is also pretty decent. I'm not a Norton fan, personally.

I would start out by downloading Malwarebytes, updating it fully, and running a full scan on it. See if it comes up with anything or not.

ok ill check out kaspersky, i did just downlod the malwarebytes. it did a 2 minute scanned roughly 230k items and 0 detections

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
ok ill check out kaspersky, i did just downlod the malwarebytes. it did a 2 minute scanned roughly 230k items and 0 detections
It's possible you're clean, but it's always good to make sure, especially when you have difficult to pin down problems.

I did do a quick review of some of the online user reviews for your laptop. It seems that most people are generally happy with it, but there is the occasional problem I see with them where some people are noting some quality issues with them.

TylerO17

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
It's possible you're clean, but it's always good to make sure, especially when you have difficult to pin down problems.

I did do a quick review of some of the online user reviews for your laptop. It seems that most people are generally happy with it, but there is the occasional problem I see with them where some people are noting some quality issues with them.
right i couldnt find anybody complaining about the same problem im having. World of warcraft just released a new expansion so im going out on a limb thinking outside the box that maybe there engines are just tapping out and its reflecting on my end more idk.

im download final fantasy 14 now to give that a whirl and see what happens.