Question Sudden frame drops

Jun 15, 2019
hii! i have a dell inspiron 7577 gaming laptop with 16GB RAM , i7 7th gen (3.8Ghz) , nvedia 1060 GeForce GTX 1060. I have been facing a issue of sudden frame drop . i check on different websites if my laptop can support or play the game in decent graphics setting , and most of the time is is high or medium, but still i am facing sudden frame drops after every 5-7 mins in all games i play . eg destiny 2 is recommended for my laptop to play on high settings (from game-debate i checked) but even when i play on medium ,frame drops from 180-200 to 20-30 , its very annoying . i have the lastest drivers installed and laptop is setup as maximum performance on plug in . Please anyone suggest me what can i do to solve this! thank you!
I checked the temp on HWMmonitor application :-
CPU- MAX -100 degree Celsius
GPU-MAX- 84 degree celsius
Intel HD graphics 630 - max 91 degree celsius
Should I buy a cooling pad ? Does it really help?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
The reason for the drops in gaming performance is the cooling. 100 degrees is simply too much for the CPU, your clock speeds will go down to prevent more overheating. The best thing you could try is replace the thermal compound of your laptop. It could lower your temps by up to 10 degrees.

But first try undervolting the i7-7700HQ. That could help a lot if you use the right settings. Lower voltage = less heat but if done correctly you won't even lose much performance.

Jun 15, 2019
The reason for the drops in gaming performance is the cooling. 100 degrees is simply too much for the CPU, your clock speeds will go down to prevent more overheating. The best thing you could try is replace the thermal compound of your laptop. It could lower your temps by up to 10 degrees.

But first try undervolting the i7-7700HQ. That could help a lot if you use the right settings. Lower voltage = less heat but if done correctly you won't even lose much performance.
Undervolting my CPU and GPU helped a lot . Thanks !

Reactions: RCFProd