Sudden frame rate drops while gaming (happens in every game)

Apr 10, 2018
I have recently just bought myself a Lenovo legion y520 (Gaming Laptop) (intel core i5 7300hq, GTX 1060 3gb Max-Q, 8gb DDR4 ram, 1TB HDD)

gaming in the first couple of days went fine, still does... kinda.... but I get sudden frame rate drops, it doesn't matter which game i play.

Far Cry 5 (Ultra settings, 1920x1080): about 46-60fps(capped at 60)

GTA V (Ultra settings, 1920x1080): 50-80fps

The Crew (Ultra settings): almost 60fps constantly (with v-sync on) although I sometimes get 50-55fps.

But even though I get reasonable fps, I get fps drops (drops down to a couple of fps, about 5-10) lasting a second or 2, And sometimes it even freezes up so i have to close the game.

When I game I always have the laptop plugged in.

I have tried to run a malware program to check if that was the case, but no.
It isn't a heating problem neither, since the tempetures stay about 55-60.

Does anybody know what to do, any help at all would gladly be accepted :)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for typos and grammar mistakes :)

Apr 10, 2018

I thought about that too, but how can that be it's a brand new laptop, ran quite good the first week/couple of days, and it's only about 2-3 weeks since I bought it. The drops started approximately one week after use, I have changed some of the power settings, turned off Nvidia's game experience battery boost, and selected my geforce graphics card as default to run games.

Thanks for your reply :)

Apr 10, 2018

Yes unfortunately, It kinda looks like it's a loading problem. because the image/frame doesn't look like if it lags, it freezes totally every time even though it's only for a second or 2. :/

Apr 10, 2018

I want to keep the laptop it's running great otherwise, and it ran the games great too for a time, it's just like something is wrong with the software settings, some of the changes i've made to the power plan settings or nvidia game experience may have done it, but both have been reset. Therefore I still wonder what it may could be.

Btw I'm not looking for a beast of a pc, I just want something that could cover my gaming needs :)

Apr 10, 2018

No it's set to balanced, it's the only one i have (btw I don't know why I only have one power plan setting, I had all three plan at the beginning, but i don't have them all anymore.)

Thanks for your reply :)

High performance is there. Below balanced see the drop down arrow? Toggle that to expand the menu and select high performance.

Apr 10, 2018

Thanks for trying to help me :), but the selection is not there. Here is how it looks when i open the power plan settings: https://ibb.co/fmKk6c

It is there. Check "Change Plan Settings" and look for it.

Apr 10, 2018

I seem to miss that then, where would it be at? :) this is how it looks when i click on change plan settings: https://ibb.co/hvEq6c :)