[SOLVED] Sudden heavy UI lag and game freezes [Witcher 3: Wild Hunt]

Jun 3, 2020
I've had this game for around 5 years now, Even upgraded my system a while ago and kept playing. The game has never shown any performance issues before this.
Now when I boot up ever since yesterday, I've been getting insane lags when entering wooded areas or any of the ingame menus. This just happened all of a sudden, no driver updates or anything that I can remember. Please help.

Hardware: i5 9400f
GPU: RTX 2060
RAM: 16gb DDR4 ADATA

Not posted much so not sure about how much hardware info to provide. Will update info if required.

Solution
Is your drive a normal hard drive or an SSD? If is'a normal hard drive, might need to defrag? Otherwise, really weird. Not sure why it would start to do that.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but have you upgraded to the latest video drivers? Sometimes those can cause issues and you might have to downgrade. Or if you're on older drivers, update them and see if that fixes it.

Another thing I do sometimes since I have 2 monitors, is bring up the task manager and go to the performance tab and let that run in the other window and then launch my game and see what happens. Also, the XBox Gamebar app in Windows 10 (installed from MS Store) has a performance widget. I've used that as well to monitor performance of games when I see...
Jun 3, 2020
Okay this is really weird but i had noticed some threads saying windows updates had caused similar problems. So i uninstalled the last update and then the performance was back! for like 10 mins after which it went down again. Then i uninstalled the next update and again performance was back for another 10 mins. This is really bizarre...

bolski

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
Is your drive a normal hard drive or an SSD? If is'a normal hard drive, might need to defrag? Otherwise, really weird. Not sure why it would start to do that.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but have you upgraded to the latest video drivers? Sometimes those can cause issues and you might have to downgrade. Or if you're on older drivers, update them and see if that fixes it.

Another thing I do sometimes since I have 2 monitors, is bring up the task manager and go to the performance tab and let that run in the other window and then launch my game and see what happens. Also, the XBox Gamebar app in Windows 10 (installed from MS Store) has a performance widget. I've used that as well to monitor performance of games when I see them starting to lag. Might give you a clue as to what is going on?

But it's more than likely Windows 10. I know the latest feature update from May has caused numerous issues, including problems with certain anti-virus applications causing browsers to freeze while accessing the internet.

Solution