Question Sudden lag after installing drivers

May 30, 2019
I’m a bit new to the pc gaming scene so I bought a prebuilt computer around Christmas time and recently I discovered that I was running off of a graphics driver from like 2017, so I updated it, but now my gpu usage tanks to around 30-50% (sometimes 0) every 10 seconds no matter what game I’m playing (seriously, I get lag in games as light as factorio now), and frame rate tanks with it. I tried downloading older drivers but the problem still persists and I’m kind of at a loss.

It’s not temperature; fan keeps it in the 50-60s
I used ddu to uninstall the drivers
I even reset my pc but the problem is still there

AMD FX-6300 six core processor
Nvidia GTX 1050
8 gb ram

May 30, 2019
Sorry for the late response. I thought I was more clear in the original post but I have already attempted removing the newer driver and downloading older drivers (including the one that I originally had)and it didn’t solve the problem. If it helps, another thing that I have noticed is that when the gpu usage drops, the cpu usage rises, but neither reaches 100% usage at any point. The frame rate/ gpu usage drops happen periodically around every 15 seconds and stay that way for about another 10 seconds. This even happens when I’m standing completely still and nothing is loading.

One thing I noticed when downloading the drivers is that the physx driver never changes; it always stays at the most recent version (the version I downloaded that’s messed everything up) and it doesn’t get removed by DDU, so maybe that’s the culprit? If it is though, I don’t know how to properly remove it.