[SOLVED] Sudden latency problem with voice applications like Teamspeak and Discord

Petsku333

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
So it just starts out of nowhere that my ping to applications such as teamspeak or discord goes to something ridiculous like 6000 or 30000 ms and during this time I can browse the web just fine watch youtube videos play games etc. and get good results on Speedtest but my speech is really delayed. The problem usually fixes itself within like 30-60 minutes and then I can speak just fine with normal latency. Any idea what could be causing this?

Solution
  1. Could be something up with the route to the discord/teamspeak server
  2. Could be your ISP slowing down select traffic (uncommon, but not impossible)
  3. Could be software on your computer that is giving other traffic more priority (often called something like fastlan or nolag)
  4. Could be hardware on your network giving priority to other traffic (probably not the case if you have control of the router/modem/etc)

So, basically ... Either the internet, your ISP, your network, or your computer. Yeah, I know, that's everything. Try to isolate the issue ... is it only your computer, is it every teamspeak server you connect to, are there reports of your ISP slowing traffic, do you have a funky local network setup, etc.
  1. Could be something up with the route to the discord/teamspeak server
  2. Could be your ISP slowing down select traffic (uncommon, but not impossible)
  3. Could be software on your computer that is giving other traffic more priority (often called something like fastlan or nolag)
  4. Could be hardware on your network giving priority to other traffic (probably not the case if you have control of the router/modem/etc)

So, basically ... Either the internet, your ISP, your network, or your computer. Yeah, I know, that's everything. Try to isolate the issue ... is it only your computer, is it every teamspeak server you connect to, are there reports of your ISP slowing traffic, do you have a funky local network setup, etc.

Solution