[SOLVED] Sudden overheating, despite checking components

M4CHII

Commendable
Oct 8, 2019
Hi,

I'm really at a loss. I built this PC a few months ago, and everything has been completely fine with no problems right up until now. I'm consistently getting an overheating error when under ANY load other than plain desktop, and it's running at 70°C in the BIOS which in my experience isn't very good. I did have it overclocked, so I thought that was the issue, but i restroed the default values and still had the same issue. I can confirm that the pump and CPU fan is still functioning according to the BIOS.

I'm really at a loss so any tips would be really appreciated 😅

BUILD:

RYZEN 9 5900X
MAG CORE LIQUID 360R AIO
RTX 2080 SUPER
B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI MOBO
32G G.SKILL DDR4
1 NVME 4.0 M.2
1 NVME M.2
2 1TB HDD
650W PSU
3 CASE FANS

Solution
DeepCool Mattrex 55 v3
240mm, and mount it up top.
Corsair H100i Elite Capellix(requires software to operate, YMMV)
Cooler Master ML240R RGB
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 - there are RGB and ARGB versions available
NZXT Kraken X53(requires software, YMMV), RGB version available
EK-AIO Basic 240, or the D-RGB version
... lots of options available.

Air cooling has Scythe FUMA 2 and a lot of Thermalright coolers:
Peerless Assassin 120, ARGB white exists
Frost Commander 140, RGB version available
Le Grand Macho RT
Silver Arrow 130/T8
Macho C...
Not too many options from other brands that clear the 160mm side panel ceiling... Noctua's NH-D15S is also 160mm, so on paper, it should fit...

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I don't trust AIO coolers in the slightest

How is the radiator mounted?

Feel the inlet and outlet lines closest to the CPU. Is there a stark difference between the two? Aka definitely warm/definitely cool?

If both appear to be the same, there's a flow issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
MAG CORE LIQUID 360R AIO
I'm sorry, but these specific units have been nothing but headaches. It seems to be part poor quality control, with the rest being a con of the design.
The massive 360mm rad forces a top mount, but on that specific model, the pump is up there too and not in the cpu block below. So over the course of those few months, you've been exposing the pump, which should be avoided.

Return the AIO and get your money back - don't bother with a replacement. Avoid Coreliquid R/RH/C/P. They all share the same design.
If for some reason, you want an Msi theme, Coreliquid K and S are legit, but pricey.

M4CHII

Commendable
Oct 8, 2019
I don't trust AIO coolers in the slightest

How is the radiator mounted?

Feel the inlet and outlet lines closest to the CPU. Is there a stark difference between the two? Aka definitely warm/definitely cool?

If both appear to be the same, there's a flow issue.
Yeah they definitely felt the same, it just seems weird that it's suddenly an issue.

M4CHII

Commendable
Oct 8, 2019
I'm sorry, but these specific units have been nothing but headaches. It seems to be part poor quality control, with the rest being a con of the design.
The massive 360mm rad forces a top mount, but on that specific model, the pump is up there too and not in the cpu block below. So over the course of those few months, you've been exposing the pump, which should be avoided.

Return the AIO and get your money back - don't bother with a replacement. Avoid Coreliquid R/RH/C/P. They all share the same design.
If for some reason, you want an Msi theme, Coreliquid K and S are legit, but pricey.
Ah that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I'm not sure I'll be able to return it as I bought it from Curry's a couple months ago, but I'll try find another decent model. Can I trouble you for any recommendations other than those two you mentioned please?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can I trouble you for any recommendations other than those two you mentioned please?
Well, you're not missing much between other AIOs. If you avoid the 4 Coreliquids mentioned above, and get something recent, you should be set...
Oh, Arctic does have their Liquid Freezer IIs which have thicker rads than most(38mm Vs 27-30mm), and can cause some compatibility problems because of that.
What is the chassis model?

M4CHII

Commendable
Oct 8, 2019
Well, you're not missing much between other AIOs. If you avoid the 4 Coreliquids mentioned above, and get something recent, you should be set...
Oh, Arctic does have their Liquid Freezer IIs which have thicker rads than most(38mm Vs 27-30mm), and can cause some compatibility problems because of that.
What is the chassis model?
That's fair. My chassis is DeepCool Mattrex 55 v3.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
DeepCool Mattrex 55 v3
240mm, and mount it up top.
Corsair H100i Elite Capellix(requires software to operate, YMMV)
Cooler Master ML240R RGB
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 - there are RGB and ARGB versions available
NZXT Kraken X53(requires software, YMMV), RGB version available
EK-AIO Basic 240, or the D-RGB version
... lots of options available.

Air cooling has Scythe FUMA 2 and a lot of Thermalright coolers:
Peerless Assassin 120, ARGB white exists
Frost Commander 140, RGB version available
Le Grand Macho RT
Silver Arrow 130/T8
Macho C...
Not too many options from other brands that clear the 160mm side panel ceiling... Noctua's NH-D15S is also 160mm, so on paper, it should fit...

Solution