Aug 6, 2024
Hello there, I hope you reading this post is experiencing a fantastic day, and I thank you for even reaching to this post.

Sudden Ping/Latency Spikes in Windows 11.
(netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wi-Fi") is only a temporary fix.

For the past week, I have tried every solution I encountered for a week of research for the problem mentioned in the title above... This laptop is the only device having this problem, among the 8 devices; 4 cell phones (2 iPhones and 2 androids) and 4 laptops (3 windows and 1 mac). I apologize for the seemingly unneeded additional information, as I am trying to provide you guys with as much information as possible, to lead to a solution... I post this before I contact the ISP (Internet Service Provider) Bell, as this is the only device experiencing the problem...

This laptop is an Asus VivoBook 15, and was bought around 2 years ago, with all windows update (Windows 11) and graphics driver (Intel Core i5 {Gen 11}) completed. In games, specifically first person shooter games such as Valorant is when the problem is more evident. In command prompt, typing "ping (defult gateway or 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1, etc.)" leads to ping spikes going from 20ms to 300ms, even 500ms jumping back and fourth. This just happened suddenly around 6 months to a year ago, which was when is became more visible to significantly impact the gameplay. I don't see any problems when doing regular internet work, but it becomes really evident when accessing apps or websites demanding fast latency/ping. (netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wi-Fi") does provide a fix.

HOWEVER, this device is a laptop, meaning, every sleep (when away from the laptop) and shut down leads to no internet connection (no available WIFI). This will lead me to type (netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=yes interface="Wi-Fi") every single laptop boot (both waking it up and turning it on after shut down). I did create a batch file opening on start up, but instead of this, I would prefer a permanent fix... I would at least have to open the batch file 6 times a day, which becomes quite bothersome with repeated clicks...

I have a FIber100 from Bell, live in Canada, Nova Scotia, near Bedford and I get around 120-150 mbps download and 110 upload. However, I sometimes see it drop down to 7-20 download and 7-20 upload, which isn't in any relation to the ping spikes which happens all the time. To this additional problem mbps (megabits per second) dropping problem, I would love to hear further solutions for this as well.

I would like to mention once again that I tried almost every solutions I encountered for the ping spikes, which are all of them that I encountered, and I haven't tried anything for the drop of mbps, as I recently found out... From observing for a little 2 days, I see pings spiking up to 500, 1000, even 2000 and fast mbps of 120 download and 120 upload at mornings to afternoons, while now currerntly at 2 a.m., I see less ping spikes with the peak to 100ms jumps, and slow mbps such as 10 download and 10 upload. Please give me as many solutions, or the ones that best fit my problem, please, I have been suffering for months...

Thank you once again for reading this post, thank you!

Jul 10, 2024
1. Have you tried a "loopback ping" to test the system's drivers and overall system?
2. Have you tried a Ping test between the computer and the modem?

Also are you using a VPN?
Are you using IPV4 or IPV6?

Cheers

Maybe the first thing to try just to test is to use a ethernet cable. This is mostly to isolate the problem to the wifi rather than other software or settings on the laptop.

This is a extremely common issue on wifi. What you experience is very common. Most other application except games work fine. Game are one of the few real time application other application use buffers to hide packet delays and loss. Wifi unlike almost every other networking method does error recovery at a low network level. This takes time to have packets re transmitted and causes the delays you see.

The data is being damaged by other wifi transmission both inside your house and outside. You have very limited things you can do. You try the standard change the radio band 2.4 or 5 or 6. Change the wifi channels being used on those bands. Try to reduce the channel width to 20. This will make things slow for everything in your house using that radio band but it might be more stable.

After that you try move the laptop a bit in the room maybe the signal is being blocked by something in or on the walls.

Note if you take the lap right next to the router and it does this you start to suspect a defective wifi card.